Running Bear’s May 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning....Thanks for the likes on the garden pic Got it tilled up and ready to plant.
Chet Sorry for the loss of Ginger.
TomO- Love the grain terminal, giving me some ideas.
IMG_4180.jpg

Good morning. It's clear and 56.
Do y'all remember when I mentioned the idiocy at my job on Friday? Somehow, that all turned into my fault, and the salesperson lodged a complaint against me with the company. I spent an hour and a half in the general manager's office about it.
In other news, when I got home, I grabbed a glass, placed it under the kitchen faucet, and turned on the faucet. The plastic sink sprayer broke, shot off its fitting, bounced off the ceiling and smacked me in the head, and the now-open water line hosed down both me and the rest of the kitchen. And nobody has a replacement in stock. I'm currently using pinch-off pliers on the plastic line so we can use the kitchen sink.

Last edited:
Morning again,

Barely starting my day at the office, and I had to fire off an email to a support vendor. I placed a service ticket with them yesterday, and true to form, they respond after hours. What bothered me was the notice stating as per our discussion with a solution, we're closing your case....No phone message left, no here's a solution link in an email, just we talked and are closing your case.

I wish people would do their jobs sometimes....They don't want me filling out a customer satisfaction survey on this guy...

I should have waited for Murphy to leave as well.

Good Morning!
It's cool at 44°F and raining; the water barrels filled overnight. The rains a blessing, though; as soon as we get some heat, things will green right up around here, and fire season will be over. - There's still that chance of snow, though, through today and tomorrow.
I'm taking the wife down for her first Moderna shot this morning. She couldn't get done earlier with me, because she's in a younger age category. We are thankful she is finally getting her vaccine shot. Secretly, I've been worried.

Terry - I don't know how you've managed to get the dark cloud hanging over you're head, but, I hope it don't make you take up drinking. Hang in there.
Tom - The garden plot looks good. Gotta love those JD tractors.
Sherrel - I really do like the filling station idea. Well done! I'll enjoy following as you work on it.
TomO - You have an excellent layout. Thanks for posting so many photos as we've gone along!

I'm gonna have a baked smoky with mustard on toast for breakfast this morning. Two coffee's to go with it. Then I have to get moving. I need to get the wife down to the pharmacy.

I'll leave a local pulp-mill photo behind. Of course, it is rail served. This pulp mill is fairly modern, and don't seem to leave much of a stink. - That is, unless I'm just so used to it, I don't notice. Here's the main mill building:
MillarPulp_05-13-2021 (2).jpg

Have a good one!

G'morning all,

"Peanut butter and honey on toast - strong coffee. Thanks"

Quiet day yesterday. Gorgeous here in Minn. Played the nine holes with my VFW group. Started good and then went downhill. Oh well.

Was tired from the busy SUnday. But still after supper, accomplished something that was bothering me. One piece of the 1" thick foam I put down on the bench just didn't adhere well. It was bowed up in the center, kinda like a bubble was under it. I was afraid that would cause track and derail issues, so I ripped it up, scraped off the old glue, and put a new piece in its place. Lots of weight, and I'll check it here shortly. Hope to get the paint on it before I have to go in. So a minor setback (who likes doing rework?) but I think I'll be happier in the end. And much better to do it now before track is laid.

I did pick up the hardboard yesterday after golf, and the nice gent at HD ripped it for me. Signs all over the store "MUST WEAR MASKS" but naturally, I did not. Not one employee said a word. Got a few looks, but that was either the fact that I was not wearing a mask or that I was still in my golf kilt. Yep, golf kilt. Try it! Great garments!

Probably won't get the hardboard fascia installed today as I have a dinner date and an evening meeting. Liking the reqork of my yard plan more and more. Thank goodness for Anyrail. Rip up and re-do is sooooooooo much easier on the screen!!

-----Steve

Good morning from Wisconsin. Low 70’s today with scattered storms possible. We need the rain.

Terry, sorry for your troubles, hang in there.

The pictures here are as good as the conversations that are here. For that I thank you all.

We have 2 more Mondays with the grandkids this school season. Yesterday they ran us ragged and I was so happy when the SIL picked them up. I asked Terry when they left, what now? Terry said it was nap time, boy that felt good, slept from 4:45 to 6pm when the alarm went off. Then a visit to the Grocery store, an actual walk around, not a curb side pick up. Dinner was lobster Mac and cheese, a Terry creation that is pretty good.

curtains, drapes, landscape cloth or whatever you call them for hiding the underside of the layout are great. I use stage skirting with Velcro to connect obit to the layout. It totally changed the look of the room. If you need encouragement to do it try even a piece of cardboard to hide a section should do it. Whether you have a mess or not underneath, IMO, do it. It really finishes off the room. Enjoy your day.

TomO

B92DA770-A2E1-4CCF-A01B-955B495E3580.jpeg

13628ED8-2FE8-4210-AF5E-021C0FA984AB.jpeg

EC478419-9EF6-493B-A9BE-43A3D9176FBE.jpeg

Cloudy , was supposed to be the flood from hell last night ....bone dry. The weather girls on all the Austin channels are running around making excuses for their weather models . Now its ... it will rain ...but when ? where ? how much? ....the only thing they have in common is their all in their third trimester...at least the ones that haven't just "offloaded" .....I guess there's no mystery about what they were doing during the pandemic.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 61° and the overnight thundershower has moved east after dropping almost 0.4" between 0100 and 0400. That was our only rain since the brief shower around midnight Sunday. Total since Sunday morning is now at 1.4", but today is supposed to be the heaviest day of this week-long thunderstorm event. A large area of storms appears on the radar right now to be moving in from the west.

Just a couple of sausage, egg and cheese breakfast burritos for me this morning Francine. I see Flo in the kitchen while Mel takes the morning off.

Thanks to all who commented or reacted to the progress post yesterday; Karl, Rick, Tom O, Patrick, Hughie, Chet, Gary, Joe, Garry, Guy, Tom.

I made a lot of progress (to me) out in the train shed yesterday on the Savings & Loan. Installed homemade shades on the windows and glued all four walls together and to the base.
IMG_6344.JPG
IMG_6347.JPG

I'll be working on the roof details, sidewalks and completing the fire escapes next.
Here it is in it's tentative location.
IMG_6348.JPG

IMG_6350.JPG

I will be extending that road up to a dead end at the tracks.

Steve -
Not sure about the EM one in the NE, should that one go east or west of the escape TO?
It needs to move to the west of the TO. Otherwise the escaping engine will clip the corner of the trailing car.
Sorry to read of your daughters' conditions. While I know that there is no cure, my thoughts and prayers go out to them for stabilization.
Patrick - I am currently putting my new back porch on hold right now until lumber prices come back down to earth a bit. They will, I've seen this cycle many times before, although they won't come as low as they were.
Tom O - I must echo what Chet posted, that workbench is just too clean and organized. It was interesting to read your backstory. While I always modeled Santa Fe, I did move my era forward enough to remove all roofwalk boxcars and almost all cars with solid bearing trucks. I also retired all early Geeps except one GP20.
Moermusic - Yes, I also learned years ago that I can't type with two thumbs.
Good luck to you and Guy with the gardens during the upcoming storm.
Ken - I have had more than my share of incompetent staff in medical offices over the years, detracting from an otherwise good relationship with a doctor.
Terry - At least you were home when the faucet blew and didn't come home to a flooded house.

An unwinnable legal/political situation has been developing in my area. A wind farm has been under construction nearby, with 52 turbines spread out over 16,000 acres. Originally the County Commissioners gave their approval for a tax abatement, which the developer more than paid back already by making major improvements to two county roads and the accompanying drainage system; that allowed them to access the leased properties with construction equipment. The local school system voted against the tax abatement but the wind farm developer went ahead and built anyway. It must be profitable even without the abatement. Meanwhile the 52 windmills have just been sitting idle because some NIMBY activists have sued the Commissioners for an illegal vote. It seems that one Commissioner has relatives that would benefit by owning some of the land. He disclosed this before the vote was taken. The vote was 5-0 anyway, so it made no difference. A lower court threw out the lawsuit as having no merit, but the plaintiffs are appealing. That Commissioner only voted for the abatement, he recused himself from the actual permit approval, which passed 4-0. Ultimately the wind farm and the commissioners will prevail since they have more money than the plaintiffs have, even though the lead plaintiff has plenty of it himself. I think that it is a case of "sour grapes", as the lead plaintiff owns land less than 1/2 mile south and he isn't getting any part of the action. I know him well from the past. It's interesting to watch this unfold. It's also quite a sight to behold.

Everybody have a great day. I'll try to keep dry. Everybody stay safe.

Greetings, Earthlings - Take me to your leader - HA, HA!
Starting the day at 58 degrees with a possible 76 high and variable clouds! We sure have had lots of clouds over the "Rainey Season" -- but nothing? Maybe the Northern part of the State is fairing better?

The daughter brought the RV back yesterday and now I need to see about the overhead lights staying on. I am praying that it is just a door switch - hope, hope?

Got the extension filed yesterday! Not sure why? I went for years once with always being late and never was penalized for it. Oh, I do remember one year CA fined me $100 for being late filing even though I owed them nothing - so my refund was a "C-note" short! (bastards)
I have nothing else to really talk about - yes I do, but I am sure that you get tired of hearing about my life.

Tom and TomO -- nice postings! TERRY - You need to hire an Exorcist !!

Just coffee FLO -- BBL

Yo: How's everyone doin' this afternoon? Been busy planting, put in a few new Hostas, which the damn deer sampled on last night. Guess I need to use a different deer repellent as seasoning. Saturday night, there was a house fire a block over to the southwest. Local VFD made a good stop from what I could tell, watching the smoke. last night another house, to the Est across Hwy 9, a bi-level suffered extensive damage on the second floor. I've been here 35 years and we really don't have a lot of fires around here, so two within 3 days is unusual. No word on a cause in either incident.

Picked up a Gold plated 2'x4'x ½" Handy panel, to finish my last module yesterday. $21.50 less veterans Discount at HD... thought I had a cheap ine, but I was wrong.

Lots of Military air traffic this afternoon, mainly KC-10s and C-141s.

WT # 60 switching MB&E cars, May 1961 - Ron Lewis photo from Gerry Meyle.jpg

This Ron Lewis photo, provided by Gerry Meyle, shows Washington terminal # 60 switching Mail & Express cars on the lower level of the terminal back in May 1961. That's the old Washington Arena behind the RS-1.

Port Newark- 10-08-1995 T Cooke Photo.jpg

Conrail Roadrailer train at Port Newark yard on 10/8/1995 in this T. Cooke photo, with an MD-9 approaching EWR, just to add to the show. Just beyond the CR 6822, (EMD SD50), is the NJ Turnpike.

Yo: How's everyone doin' this afternoon? Been busy planting, put in a few new Hostas, which the damn deer sampled on last night. Guess I need to use a different deer repellent as seasoning. Saturday night, there was a house fire a block over to the southwest. Local VFD made a good stop from what I could tell, watching the smoke. last night another house, to the Est across Hwy 9, a bi-level suffered extensive damage on the second floor. I've been here 35 years and we really don't have a lot of fires around here, so two within 3 days is unusual. No word on a cause in either incident.

Picked up a Gold plated 2'x4'x ½" Handy panel, to finish my last module yesterday. $21.50 less veterans Discount at HD... thought I had a cheap ine, but I was wrong.

Lots of Military air traffic this afternoon, mainly KC-10s and C-141s.

View attachment 128239
This Ron Lewis photo, provided by Gerry Meyle, shows Washington terminal # 60 switching Mail & Express cars on the lower level of the terminal back in May 1961. That's the old Washington Arena behind the RS-1.

View attachment 128240
Conrail Roadrailer train at Port Newark yard on 10/8/1995 in this T. Cooke photo, with an MD-9 approaching EWR, just to add to the show. Just beyond the CR 6822, (EMD SD50), is the NJ Turnpike.

Boris 2 great pictures. Too bad on those local fires. Had a neighbor up in Northern Wisconsin in sub zero temperatures 25+ years ago burn his house down. Near bed time and I look out the kitchen sink window and the garage down the street is in flames. Called 911, went into our garage got my splitting maul and went down there. I was so afraid I was going to have to break down the front door. No need he was laying in the driveway, the face was burnt but ok otherwise. He was trying to pour gas in his carburetor to start it and it back fired. 100% destroyed the house and of course insurance fought his house and medical. He got the house rebuilt after 3 years of appealing.

The local area AIR NATIONAL GUARD flies F16’s over the house. The last 2 weeks daily around 10am a flight of 6 in pairs of 2 have been flying over. In 2022 the unit gets the new F35’s. Love the sound of freedom flying over.

TomO

TomO: Normally, the only Air Guard activity we get is the KC 135 fly overs on Wednesday and Thursday. The KC-10s are either regular USAF or AF Reserve. Same for the C-17s. (The C-141s are long gone, having been replaced by C-17s...). We used to see NG F-16s flying due North like a bat out of hell, when someone encroached on the air space of former President's golf course. We get a lot of UH-60s and USMC Hueys and Cobras and CH-53s.

In the summer, our beaches are well protected as everyone flies over the beaches.

Your photos are interesting, modeling an era update is challenging. Looks good.

Greg - Looks like there was a bit of s--t splattering by you. You should have told him to cancel the order. Did that one time and got quite a discount being that I had special ordered the car. You could do that at the time.

Chet....after a quick and mean discussion with the sales guy I drafted and sent an e-mail to the General Manager. Being in business as long as I was I crafted the e-mail to be politically hostile and to the point and ended it with "I hope you can resolve this issue in as a brief time as possible". With in an hour the General Manager called and said tomorrow I will have the vehicle I ordered delivered to my house if I so desired, comp. detailing in six months, loaner cars when the vehicle is in for servicing, Silicone paint treatment and gave Cathy a dozen Red Roses and me an umbrella. I know this Lexus dealership has a great reputation in the area so I knew they would follow through.

I was upset since I wanted this vehicle and I did a vehicle search and this particular color and this model was the only one available in the Wisconsin area.

When we picked the vehicle up, the Sales Manager stayed with us the entire time we were in the Dealership. We got the Royal Treatment.

Last edited:
Hey bnsf, I have a great plan, several members here and the other forum have helped me with a great plan. It’s copying it onto the layout and roughing in a change that my buddy suggested that slows me down big time. I already started laying foam and then someone came up with another great idea....lol

and thanks for all the likes on the bed everyone, you all are great modellers where my strength might lie in sports, hunting and maybe some woodworking.....lol...I will keep trying though as it is the top hobby with great people in my opinion.
Your great woodworking skill will translate to model making,same thought process,getting your head a round what you want is the most exciting but to be fair the most frustrating, you’ll get there,woodwork you learnt the skills,shooting you learnt the skills,time is inevitable luckily here you have great people to do the journey with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back