Running Bear’s May 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!
It has rained all night, that's why I'm wearing the gum-boots. Darn good thing it's so wet out too; this should really help with the fires that have been popping up here and there. Plus, green-up for the summer is going to happened very quickly. - It's only 34° outside though; still fairly cool.

It's a very good day to 'model on'! Don't bother me with door installations or gardening, and we can go shopping on Monday. Today is the rain day that I can 'model on' in peace.

I have to tell you that I felt absolutely no ill side effects from the Moderna first dose that I received last Monday. Just a sore arm where the needle entered, for a couple of days; that's it. My booster shot is supposed to happen in June.

Karl - A fine set of photographs posted yesterday. The tunnel scene is excellent. I hope that cat wasn't harmed for trying that stunt at home.

Hughie - That's a very cool looking commercial warehouse you are building. I hope you'll entertain us with regular photos of your progress. It looks like a great start to the build, so far.

Sherrel - I have never seen a rat in Alberta, so I have no first hand experience with them. Maybe it's just too cold for them; I don't know. I have seen lots of 'rats nest of wiring', though, and that's what you look like you have there. Hope you find the solution to protect what you have.

Tom - Nice pair of EOT rack photos. The dry brush weathering on the racks looks realistic.

Ken - I can see what you were trying to achieve placing the laptop under the counter; but, I'm wondering if using it in that position will lead to a rude backache. The PC doesn't look much higher than the chair seat.

Willie - The zoo photos are interesting. I like the Cheetah. I f you believe in Astrology (I don't), the Cheetah is supposed to be my animal spirit based on the day I was born. I suppose I lucked out there, because I could have had a bugs spirit, or some kind of snake. - I'm surprised the hero statue in your last set of photos is still allowed to stand. Then again, it's set in a different era all together from todays nonsense.

I won't have any modeling photos until tomorrow, so you'll have to settle for a couple of pics from my archives, not train related:
The first is my good friend, who passed away at 16yrs, in 2017. He was quite a large Bouvier, and was a constant companion. He's buried beside Beaver Creek, where we used to walk everyday.
Joe_2015 (2).jpg

And here's a photo of a 1/72nd model airplane I built, before I got into the train modeling hobby. A Revell Boeing P-26:
P-26_2015 (1).jpg

I still have to model airplane, but, have not been able to get another constant companion.

I'm going to have another coffee and some toast, and then get on with modeling.
Thanks for the likes on past posts!
Have a good one!

Last edited:
Good Morning Day from out here. I'm being lazy at the moment-have been up for a couple hours, but just chatting with the Spousal Unit and reading all the great postings.
It's another day on paradise here with currently 60 degrees and predicted 76 high under an overcast sky which will burn off in a couple hours to partly cloudy and breezy.
This will be short as I have a slew of things going on today as well - and last night when the wife drove me down to bring the RV back home - the cabin lights came on when I opened the door (normal) but refused to go out with the door closed. After trying everything I could think of - I drove it here with the lights on and then cut the wires to extinguish them. Strange - as long as I pressed and held the button in on the light it would go out, but when I released it the light came back on?
I am at a loss as to where to start on that problem - I guess that come Monday, I will take it back to the man.

Francine - Please - BIG coffee and a BLT to go this morning! BBL for lunch.

Really enjoyed all this mornings posts and last evening too!
KARL - Outstanding photo of the club!
GUY - I had over 30 Revell 1/4 models hanging from my bedroom ceiling - I was a fanatic airplane (and ship) builder during my HS years ... kinda got away from modeling after I left for college and later the airline. It has been off and on since then, but now I thought I would have all sorts of time - and cannot seem to find any! Sorry about your furry friend; one of mine is sneaking up on 16 and is slowing a whole lot. Going to break my heart when she goes!
Foxie 05-12-09-1.JPG

Good morning modelers from around the world.

Amazon, in my book Amazon is a complete waste for model trains. Most of the ads I have recently looked at were at the full suggested retail price. I can buy online from my 4 favorites but I not longer include Modeltrains and stuff in my top 7. I use Lombard Hobbies, Hiawatha Hobbies, Walthers when having sales, Midwest Model trains, Spring Creek Model Trains, Mainemodelworks and Trainlife. I search for pricing on those and go from there. My LHS that is very good has no online presence and it’s a shame as I think he’d make some good money but he says he is happy this way.

Ebay is worst. It seems IMOO that folks selling there think they are selling gold.

Willie, showed Terry the pictures of the Frank Buck Zoo and then Google Earth for her. We shall see what we do on the trip down as no route has been chosen yet. Thanks on the EOT rack. I was going to build a few and this actually was less involved. While I would have preferred scratch, this looks like the real pictures I have of them. Jury duty, around 2012 I got the notice and was part of the jury pool, got thrown out immediately as I knew one of the upcoming witnesses. Then 3 years ago I got the 2 week jury notice. Checked in both Sunday nights and they didn’t need me.

Chet, I used to bowl Monday night at 5 and Wednesday night at 9. Mondays you dint even think of a drink until the 3 games were done. On Wednesday if a round hadn’t been brought by the 3rd frame of game one something was wrong. Congrats on the WIN!

GeeTee, if you watched the History channel on the 50th anniversary year you might has seen the Zapruder film 100 times that November alone. I watched nothing the last couple years on the shooting.

KeN in Maryland! Great use of space!

Karl, Tyco, really? Just kidding, I have seen some great running and this is another great looking Tyco unit. I love the tunnel scene and the track going around the tunnel.

JazA, so many have little respect for things, institutions and people. Doctors are tough to pick on as there vocation is one I could not and would not want to do. Never had those aspirations. As for weather folks. I kid

MikeinHubCity, As for weather folks I had a frieNd who was a Metorlogist for ABC channel 9 in Wausau. He said he actually took a class as to how to answer folks who questioned their skills and scientific weather guessing. Another job I never aspired to. Our guy on ABC Channel 27 in Madison is young, well trained, personable and can easily laugh at himself. Weather and our oceans are still in the scientific infancy stages and will get better.

We will have the 9 year old granddaughter from noon to 3-4pm today. She really missed her grandma so it’s re-bonding time. I will be getting ignored again now that grandmom is back. Harper is growing up and finally realizes things are different for her from non-challenged kids her age. She keeps asking her mom about Down Sydrome and why she has it, it’s has been a tough week on the daughte.

be good have fun stay safe
TomO

08D613A2-0197-4E07-9615-BEF8B2BCE96E.jpeg

Last edited:
Afternoon all,

Busy day at my house. Mowed and trimmed the yard, cleaned up the dead out of blueberries, and cut down the crepe myrtle. It has a habit of dying back every couple of years and comes back from the bottom. Then we went to Wichita to get the second round of fertilizer, get some chlorine tabs for the pool, and took my telescope to a local place to get cleaned up adjusted. We then came home and setup the pool. It's currently filling. So far no leaks.

I'm anxious to get the scope back. I think the grandson and granddaughters will enjoy seeing the stars. This was the place I purchased it at 20 years ago.

We're expecting some heavy weather overnight. I'd be glad for the rain.

Last edited:
Chet, I used to bowl Monday night at 5 and Wednesday night at 9. Mondays you dint even think of a drink until the 3 games were done. On Wednesday if a round hadn’t been brought by the 3rd frame of game one something was wrong. Congrats on the WIN!
back bout 50 plus yrs ago, I was on college 5 pin bowling team. went to a wkend tourn. right-college kids in big city on a wkend. bowled the best game of my life the morning after the night before.! 7 strikes & a couple of spares. go figure

Good afternoon Everyone.....cloudy and a cool day.

Finished filing my state and federal returns for 2020 and glad I'm finally done with them. A refund from the Feds and nothing from the state.

A Accurail box car kit from the Milwaukee, Racine and Troy has sat for months on my computer printer just begging to be assembled. I have most of the MR&T car and locomotive series and they have special meaning to me since we toured the Kalmbach Offices and the actual MR&T layout on a special tour hosted by Jim Hediger. A 2.5 hour visit and learned a lot during our visit about the layout and the special layout projects done by the staff. Jim was a great host!!!

Tomorrow, I meet with my Physical Therapist for my next session, but we need to talk about my goals and that I don't plan to be a long term health club member. After my last visit it was days before I could feel better being without being so sore and stiff. I just love the fitness beauty queens in their revealing work-out clothes, seeking out male companionship outside the club.

Sherrel:
I like your photograph of that space craft in orbit. Several years ago (when I had dark hair) I had lunch one afternoon with James Lovell from the Apollo 13 Space Mission. He had some really interesting stories about their ill fated trip to the moon and how they had to get back to Earth after the problems they encountered.

Someone had said that the sound DCC decoders that we use today have more computing power than what was used on the Apollo series space crafts!!! And, a lot more inexpensive to boot.

Maybe it made National News, but at a shopping mall in Milwaukee on Sunday Night, over 300 shots were fired by persons in the parking lot. One person was hit by the gun fire. This parking lot is a popular evening gathering spot for local youths. At over 300 shots being fired and a Glock 42 and other concealable firearms have a clips with an average of 6 rounds means that it could be likely that somewhere around 50 individuals were carrying firearms and discharging them that night.

Troy: Great looking chop on your grill. Cathy makes them on our Weber grill and uses apple wood for smoke. I need to do some smoking of pork roasts this summer. I use my smoker and cook over low heat for hours. I was in a local butcher shop near the cabin and in the back of a cooler a real fatty, large pork roast and I asked the butcher for the roast. He said "Why that one, it's too fatty?" I told him iwas going to smoke it in my smoker with apple wood. I cooked it for at least eigth hours at low heat and it was a perfect and moist. Full of favor.

Miller Time......

Greg

######################
sorry, only wanted the last statement. full of f_avor. I recently had smoked pork & chicken. Dont really care for it. Couldnt taste the *meat* only a strong harsh smoke. electric smoker using the presseed hockey pucks - done by another person in about 5 hrs.

3 things ,
1. they don't know whats in it and are afraid of the side effects.
2.They do know whats in it and don't want to take it because its counter intuitive , In order to prevent you from getting the virus , they give you the virus. That makes some people nervous.
3. They think if they wait long enough the disease will pass and they won't need to take it.
I recently saw somebodys opinion: I am more afraid to eat our present day food than get vacccinated.! I quit worrying about food many decades ago, when the headlines said dill pickles will give/cause you cancer !!!!

sorry, only wanted the last statement. full of f_avor. I recently had smoked pork & chicken. Dont really care for it. Couldnt taste the *meat* only a strong harsh smoke. electric smoker using the presseed hockey pucks - done by another person in about 5 hrs.
It is a change in flavour. But, as we learned tonight, the rub, the binder, and the amount of wood for smoking (and type of wood) can really change how the smoke work.

I tried smoking some sausages (bun sized). Decent job, but on looking back, too much smoke flavour to eat on a bun. I went back to the gas grill with a lot of flavor rub for those.

Visit a few decent BBQ restaurants and you'll find decent, yet varying levels of smokey flavor. My favorite here in NE Indiana has a strong smokey flavor that stays with you for a few days. But I prefer the texture of their brisket better than the other place. So I have to balance my desire for good texture and cook vs too much smoke.

Like anything food, it's all about finding the right balance for you. I'm still playing with my grill, still getting the feel for it. Hope to smoke a tri-tip in a week or so. That will be my first big cook.

had mine bout 3-4 wks ago. said they would call in about 4 months! for second round saw on news other night , some wondering about the effectiveness of that long of an interval
moermusic - I booked mine through the Rexall Pharmacy website for the store in my area. For the booster, I will to go online again and book that shot. I'm not trusting anyone to give me a phone call. - The pharmacist told me to try June, and he'll get me in 'if they have the vaccine'.
I know you are close to me. Perhaps you should try the online sign-up. They called me to come in the day after I signed up, and I'm expecting the booster to be the same.

Hey fella's. How many can say they still own their very first car, after 60 years. - I still own mine. In fact, I lent it to my grandson so he could go on short cruise around the neighborhood.
Cameron.jpg

Have a good evening!

Karl, Tyco, really? Just kidding, I have seen some great running and this is another great looking Tyco unit. I love the tunnel scene and the track going around the tunnel.

It IS a Tyco C430 shell, but it rides on a stretched RS2 Frame with a can motor, Atlas fuel tanks and air cylinders, plus a smattering of detail parts.

The tunnel scene is a bit photo shopped, here's what it looks like Au natural. Still quite nice.
P1010091.JPG

Ironbeltken:
Saw your post regarding laptop on roll around table with programming track.
You should try to find a short siding near the laptop and use a DPDT switch to enable programming on the layout.
You can drive the loco into the siding, switch DPDT to PROGRAM, switch back to MAIN, and drive the loco back out.
I use a DPDT with center OFF.
No fumbling lining the wheels up on the rails, or risking dropping loco to the floor.

Good morning. It's 48 and mostly clear.
The insurance company has decided my wife is well enough to return home, so at noon today, I'm going to pick her up. The facility where she is has a lengthy list of things she has to do, and stuff I need to get so she can continue her rehab at home. Just because she's being discharged doesn't mean she should really be coming home right now. I may be building a wheelchair ramp later today, and I have no idea how a wheelchair is going to get in or out of our house, because the entry doors are too narrow. The house was built long before the people that invented the ADA were even born.

Good Morning, and Happy Mothers Day to all the modeling community that might celebrate.
It's a double hit for me, as it's also the wife's birthday today. She happens to be at work, but, I'll chef-up a fine spread for this evening and light a couple of candles for when she returns home. I'm calling the new backdoor that replaced a perfectly good door her birthday present.

Thanks for all the likes on my non-modeling dog photo and the old '61' Jet-Ace car.

I'm gonna have one coffee and then touch up some paint on the little boat before I commit to breakfast.
Yesterday, the boat's whale poker was repaired, the roof was painted white + some detail was painted, and the portholes were prepped for brass ring and glass installation. The scrap plastic motor invention was also completed; but I'm not going to use it. It will serve better sitting on a pallet as a junk engine.
I also began building a skid that will support the boat as it's pulled out of the water by a tractor. The vision in my mind is the boat being pulled up to the boat-builders shop on tracks that lead into the water, probably 'N' scale tracks without the ties. - I actually saw such a system in real life when I was younger.
The skid is built out of 1/8sq. spruce. I have to remake the cross timbers, as the ones I made are too big in scale. A brass pipe will be drilled into either end of the skid so a chain can be wrapped around it for pulling purposes. Then the whole works will be set on 'N' scale wheels.
That's the plan, anyway. Here's a photo of this adventure, as it sat yesterday evening. Since the photo was taken, I've installed the brass rings and allowed the glue to set overnight:
Boat_05-08-2021.jpg

So far, I think the project is coming along ok. In the photo, Ed the boat builder is contemplating the next moves.

Have a great Mama's Day!

Good morning from Mother’s Day in Wisconsin. Gloomy now but the weather lady on TV that Terry has on
keeps saying every 15 minutes that it will be sunny later.

Brunch at the daughter’s with no kids present.

If I get to the train room it will be later today. Enjoy your day.

TomO
9A8A469F-CCD2-4473-B08A-C9824B898B85.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back