Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALAN - I have been guilty of NOT commenting on your build lately but I read them all). You sort of lost me on the wash for the tank - going to have to study that a little slower.

That's one of the reasons I like this company's kits Sherrel! His methods are different, but not necessarily more difficult. The chalks I speak of are Rembrandt chalk sticks. You shave off what you need with a single edged razor blade. For that tank, I used three rust shades. They apply with a very soft bristled brush. a stiff bristled brush will leave brush streaks, which you don't want! Get the chalk on the tank, then I used a different brush that I dipped in plain alcohol and touched to the upper rim of the tank. The alcohol runs down the side of the tank so you get streaks and patterns like rain washing crud down the sides and rust starting. Do the whole thing again with three colors of brown. He tells you which ones in the manual and I won't repeat them here because the Rembrandt colors are all identified by number and would be meaningless. The alcohol has to completely dry between each step. after you've done the rusts and the browns, you add more dry chalk until you like how it looks. His methods for weathering resin castings give really neat effects. There's a short video on his website that shows you how to do this stuff. See it here. It's just a couple of minutes long.

I've been avoiding the idea of purchasing yet another kitchen contraption. ;) The problem with a small galley kitchen is the lack of room and storage for gadgets. My espresso machine, and my wife's countertop stand mixer seem to be the exceptions where we stop.

Up to you. An Anova sous vide or something easily fits in a drawer. Not a big bulky item like a mixer. And makes your meat so much better :)

ETA: And the steaks are to-die for. Any meat is when properly cooked with sous vide and then finished on the grill/smoker/skillet/etc

Last edited:
I guessed wrong, I have a 14 year old computer at home....I guess I do need to update at some point.

It still runs and I really don't have any money in it. I got it as a throw away from a previous employer. It has been upgraded from Windows XP to 7 to 10 along with memory, hard drive and DVD burner upgrades, from spare parts bins and salvage machines at other jobs. There isn't anything I have in it that cost me anything except the games that no longer run as windows 7 and 10 don't support them. Yes there are ways around it, as I have an virtual XP clone in Hyper-V but that's even slower than the real machine. I just don't know if I can really PAY for a new machine.

I guessed wrong, I have a 14 year old computer at home....I guess I do need to update at some point.

It still runs and I really don't have any money in it. I got it as a throw away from a previous employer. It has been upgraded from Windows XP to 7 to 10 along with memory, hard drive and DVD burner upgrades, from spare parts bins and salvage machines at other jobs. There isn't anything I have in it that cost me anything except the games that no longer run as windows 7 and 10 don't support them. Yes there are ways around it, as I have an virtual XP clone in Hyper-V but that's even slower than the real machine. I just don't know if I can really PAY for a new machine.
Mine is getting up around 10 years old , I am hanging on to it because the cards that I use are PCI and theres nothing on the market to replace them at the same performance level .

One thing I highly recommend is a flash HD , 0 to login in less than 10 secs. They make a substantial performance difference ~ 4X.

Good evening. It's sunny and 71.
Duke Power is getting on my nerves. They say they are upgrading their billing systems, which means three times in the last six weeks they have signed us up for paperless billing. Never mind they have no email address on file to send a paperless bill, if we had wanted to go that route.
"Okay, what email address are you sending the paperless bills to?"
Long pause....
"Umm...."
"We don't seem to have an email address on file. Could you please provide us with one, and we'll start sending them to you?"
"NO!"

Morning all,

I've been getting the car stuff for years as well. I just thought they'd wait longer than 90 days before asking me to trade it. Last 5 vehicles I've owned were all in my possession for longer than 12 years. I don't usually worry about resale as 3 of the vehicles went to the salvage yard by my hand. 1 was traded in and the truck was sold outright.

Time for coffee before work.
We keep ours for ages,often car showroom display model, then run them til they stop,we kept the mondo hoping to get a rep,a cement engine but it was a top of the shop and never tracked a rep,a cement engine,blowing an automatic is not fun, the Range Rover was off road for a year then back on road so son could acquire one my brother in law gave us but is off road again, exterior net bad interior great condition but we had to remove the air suspension in cold weather it was so sluggish you could wait for ever, car showrooms hope you’ll buy and trade in fast there’s their profit,but we have 5 cars sat on our Land that will never drive on the road again one each for the boys wrecking their learners

If you need someone to misplace a tool. I'm your guy. So today I decided to do something about it.
George

bucket_tool_bag.jpg

Terry: The Rust Belt Electric Energy Holding Company makes it difficult to even look their statements on line, they consider a summary a statement. I pretty much have the paperless statements sent to my bank, so I can pay them at my convenience. I refuse to allow them access for "auto pay", which is what they really want. Turns out that deregulation was the worst thing we ever did to ourselves. Which reminds me, I have to buy a generator while I can still get one.

Ran a few errands today, and did a few odd jobs in the work shop. This evening, I watched the Habs virtually eliminate the Calgary Flames from the playoffs...Then i watched the first period of Edmonton at Winnipeg. The Oil looks pretty good, (for a change), while the Jets looked kind of shaky.
Tomorrow is another day, with more errands and a haircut. Going up to 70 tomorrow, so I can ditch the hoodie, maybe 84 Wednesday...

Have a good evening.

Amtrak Keystone Train 6-5-83 Lehman Place.jpg

Amtrak's keystone Service using displaced Metroliner cars passing the Lumber Yard at Lehman Place, PA on 6-5-1983 Track in the foreground is the connection to the Strasburg RR. Photographer Unknown.

Well the City of Austin has solved the homeless problem .... They bought a hotel in WILLIAMSON County and are going to open it as homeless shelter. As I said before , thats typical Austin mentality , take your problem and make someone else's.

The state has given the ok for Williamson County to sue Austin over it. According to Williamson County it violates zoning restrictions.

Its a brilliant plan , you buy the property outside your jurisdiction that way Williamson County looses the tax revenue instead of the City. Their screwing each other, I can't help but laugh.

Well the City of Austin has solved the homeless problem .... They bought a hotel in WILLIAMSON County and are going to open it as homeless shelter. As I said before , thats typical Austin mentality , take your problem and make someone else's.

The state has given the ok for Williamson County to sue Austin over it. According to Williamson County it violates zoning restrictions.

Its a brilliant plan , you buy the property outside your jurisdiction that way Williamson County looses the tax revenue instead of the City. Their screwing each other, I can't help but laugh.
An 83 room hotel for $9.5 million works out to a tad over $114,450 per room, and the article states that services will be included. I presume that means health care, food (room service?), and maid service!

Morning all,

Bit late this morning as I overslept a bit (ok, got up at 4:00a instead of 3:30a. Alarm is set for 4:15a) Don't know why I wake up so darned early. Seems the older I get, the less sleep I get.

Clear and 63° this morning, wind breezy with gusts to 35mph today. Expecting rain and storms this evening into the overnight with some possibly severe. Supposed to get to about 80° depending on which weather prognosticator you choose to believe. Frankly, I think it's gonna cold with snow later, but who believes me? :)

Got the boy's yard measured for fencing, 350 Ft, but that also includes about 40ft in his sister's yard. Since the fence guy is there, she figures it's easier to the front fence on her north side (boy's yard side) match and then about 20ft on her south side match from the street as well. He's giving us 2 quotes, 1 for cedar (preferred) and a 2nd for treated. Both have treated posts and stringers. Not sure what it's going to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back