Ore car to ore car transfer station?

Bob T

Pardon if this is in the wrong section.

Is there such a thing? A structure to transfer ore from car to car?
Say transfer iron ore from a light narrow gauge line to a heavy standard line for final movement?

Been searching the forums, and web without luck, but I may not have right nomenclature.
Or, it just isn't done.

I am perfectly fine trying to engineer somethin on my own, but some examples would be nice.

Perfect example Paul!

7612F9DA-65A8-43B6-8C36-DDB5B28BEEDE.jpeg

DBA5F218-7042-468C-973A-87309C04B987.jpeg

If we are talking about iron,most of the time just wasn't economical . High value ores like gold and silver ,where your moving just a few tons / week it makes more sense.

The largest narrow to standard operation that I know of was the coal transfer on the East Broad Top and that operation included a separator .
https://oldeastie.com/Tour/cplant.html

Last edited:
If we are talking about iron,most of the time just wasn't economical . High value ores like gold and silver ,where your moving just a few tons / week it makes more sense.
Lead mining, actually.

I am sure you are correct about the economics involved. Lucky for me, in my alternative HO universe, lead mining in the Galena area of NW Illinois did not end in the mid/late 1800s. Instead, several small mines operated well into the late 1950s, using old narrow gauge equipment, and running a tight budget. A transfer station over to early diesel, and off to the docks.

The largest narrow to standard operation that I know of was the coal transfer on the East Broad Top and that operation included a separator .
https://oldeastie.com/Tour/cplant.html
Thanks for the link. More good photos and ideas.

Thanks for the links, which led to other links, and so on. And now things are progressing, although slowly.

Finished the bents for the trestle. It will be based loosely, (very loosely), on the Owenyo trestle linked above.

The Southern Pacific at such a NG to SG transfer trestle at Owenyo, CA. (photos on pages 136 & 137 of Mallory Hope Ferrell's book "Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge") If you do a bing or google search for "transfer trestle at Owenyo, CA" you will find multiple photos.

Last edited:

Back