Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a UK driver who has driven over loads of Europe, I have seen sone dodgy driving,the habit of having W different name/numbers for roads,so you can accidentally follow one instead of changing motorway is a pain,but I hate the French the most,they photograph you on the motor way and off and if you have speeded it works you out and fines you,the French tend to stop and eat at a motorway restaurant,total rip off prices,but. Cheaper than a ticket,and they will park their cars anywhere,ignore one way roads and stop and walk away on one lane back roads in the city leaving you stranded,their cars are also the most beat up,I was once outside a famous restaurant - I cannot remember the name, but a rolls Royce and another expensive car were parked outside,a beaten up mini french plates tried parking between them it hit the rolls Royce then the other car before finally parking at 9p degrees and walked off! if the pavement is free they will drive on that,the French are proper maniacs. `most other Europeans are reasonable, with just occasional nutters.

was given the advice that if I were to go to France, and parallel park on a street, to not put the parking brake on, as the french would nudge their way in and make more room to park in front of or behind you, as needed. I never tried it myself.

Good Afternoon all! Well yesterday was our 2 week after second shot day and we celebrated by going to the grocery store. Still masked, despite the Governor, and tried our best to social distance those un masked individuals, only 3.
PB&J with a glass of milk, please.
I finally got a model I order in Dec. It is an overhead crane and it came from Fuller, out of Germany I believe. I added it to the Pinkham Pallet and Keg track. I think that it completes that scene.
Pickham.jpg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Good afternoon. I have been wondering what season we are up here. Last week we were in the mid 70's on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and then snow on Sunday. My son and his family stayed in the house to watch the dogs while we were at the bowling tournament and called Sunday morning letting us know that there was 4 inches of snow that came down over night. It had mostly melted by the time we got home. So far this week we have been lucky to get into the 40's. Just had lunch and let the dogs out into an overcast and windy day. This is what they were doing within a few minutes of getting back in.
thumbnail_20210327_145504.jpg

Looks like a good idea.
The trip to Butte yesterday was uneventful. Did stop and visit a friend that used to work for us that now lives in Butte.

The posts about driving are interesting. I have driven in 10 countries besides the US and would have to say that the worst I've seen were in Bahrain. Germany wasn't bad. I had ordered a BMW Bavaria while I was stationed in Gaeta, Italy and did enjoy the trip back through the mountains in Austria into northern Italy. Italy was an interesting place to drive. Speed limits are just a suggestion and the turn signal lever was there for hanging laundry. Sure wish I still had that Bavaria. Great car, no technology. Just excellent engineering. I made a lot of traffic stops when I was a highway patrolman. Keeping in the right lane is a good idea. The radar will pick up the car in the left oncoming lane before the right.

Terry - I will have to give you a lot of credit for doing what you are taking care of your wife.

Sherrel - Austin is where a lot of Californians are moving to. They just want it to feel like what they left.

Jaz
- Interesting photos as usual.

Garry
- Like the photo of the Doodlebug. Nice.

Willie
- As usual, your photos are outstanding.

Hughie
- Good photos.

Here are a few of mine.

thumbnail_20210328_132450.jpg
IMAG1026.jpg
thumbnail_20190402_144557.jpg
thumbnail_20190329_083335.jpg
thumbnail_20190405_093635.jpg
thumbnail_20190417_102839.jpg
thumbnail_20190417_103741.jpg

Think I'll go join the dogs. Later

Afternoon all,

Was on a little this morning, but wasn't going to read 12 pages on my new cell. Finally updated to a smart phone as the older 3g flip phones we had died locally as ATT had a tower go out with no estimated repair time as they are shutting down 3g service in about 10 months. Using the home wireless as I don't want to use data.

Vacation is ok so far. Drove to Kansas City area to visit mom. About 2.5 hours one way, so not bad. She's not happy being in a home, but dad didn't leave her in any better shape financially.

Spent the past 2 days reworking the daughter's bathroom. I'm tired of fixing 1/2 assed repairs from previous owners. Started with her wanting to change the medicine cabinet, and filling the wall back in around it. Then a big section of paint peeled off the original 1955 paint. So a "small" area of wall rebuild turns into peeling all the loose paint off and skimming the walls with compound. Once I get the walls smooth, the daughter will paint and then I'll install a new sink. She's added wanting some dimmer switches swapped for standard on/off ones. That'll be easy, but scope of the work changes daily.

All for now.

Nothing RR today - I have to get out to the MIL's place and help my BIL try and finish the wiring on the RV. Still have not found anything that makes the fuel pump go "Oink"!

Sure you don't just have air in the line? If its a diesel you may have to prime it. If its a modern gas engine with fuel injection , cycling the ignition switch should prime it ( you should hear the pump in the tank come on briefly) .

Modern gas engines have diagnogstics that computer runs on start up , if it doesn't find everthing in order it will shut down. If the check engine light is on you need to plug in a dianogstic tool to the OBDII port ( usually under the dash) so it can tell whats wrong. OBDII has been the standard since 93 , all cars are required to have them , I would suspect that if the RV was made after 2000? it probably has one, if it has a check engine light.

We ended up a place that had great BBQ but damn if I can remember the name.

I hope it wasn't Salt Lick. There some place down the Colorado off 2222 but the last time I was there it wasn't any good. There's supposed to be a decent place off IH 35 , I have never been there .

I prefer Kreutz in Lockhart or Luling City Market (good ribs ) ,Kreutz is family style , everybody sits at the same table and for many years sauce was an abomination ...an insult to the meat and your only option was "Bread or Crackers?". LCM is where Micheal Dorn used to go before he went veggie. Both places tend fill up with Law Enforcement at lunch. Both use horizontal drawn masonry pits .

Granzin's in New Braunfels behind the Ford place is good for getting hanging sausage and beef sticks. You hang it in your kitchen or pantry for about 2 weeks or until moldy , wipe off and eat with cheese and cracker , No need to cook. You don't haff to wait 2 weeks , you can eat as is , you just need pocket knife to cut it.

Sure you don't just have air in the line? If its a diesel you may have to prime it. If its a modern gas engine with fuel injection , cycling the ignition switch should prime it ( you should hear the pump in the tank come on briefly) .

Modern gas engines have diagnogstics that computer runs on start up , if it doesn't find everthing in order it will shut down. If the check engine light is on you need to plug in a dianogstic tool to the OBDII port ( usually under the dash) so it can tell whats wrong. OBDII has been the standard since 93 , all cars are required to have them , I would suspect that if the RV was made after 2000? it probably has one, if it has a check engine light.

I hope it wasn't Salt Lick. There some place down the Colorado off 2222 but the last time I was there it wasn't any good. There's supposed to be a decent place off IH 35 , I have never been there .

I prefer Kreutz in Lockhart or Luling City Market (good ribs ) ,Kreutz is family style , everybody sits at the same table and for many years sauce was an abomination ...an insult to the meat and your only option was "Bread or Crackers?". LCM is where Micheal Dorn used to go before he went veggie. Both places tend fill up with Law Enforcement at lunch. Both use horizontal drawn masonry pits .

Granzin's in New Braunfels behind the Ford place is good for getting hanging sausage and beef sticks. You hang it in your kitchen or pantry for about 2 weeks or until moldy , wipe off and eat with cheese and cracker , No need to cook. You don't haff to wait 2 weeks , you can eat as is , you just need pocket knife to cut it.
Could've been Rudy's which ain't to bad for a franchised BBQ. If you really want the best, Snow's in Franklin, you can't get any better.

Last edited:
Good evening Shop Dwellers! Almost bedtime so only time for a drive-by.

Thanks everybody, who either "clicked the button" or left a comment: Jerry, Justin, George, Patrick, Gary, Phil, Chet, Jaz, Hughie, Joe, Sherrell, TomO, Guy, Karl, GT, Chad, Willie

Terry
- hang in there! Your employer's policies and attitude, they totally defy comprehension 🤬 Doubling up on the prayers...

Morning all,

Raining and 47° this morning. Expecting some possible snow over the weekend, nothing expected to stick, but still not quite ready to get the tomatoes planted. The oldest got them for us and we aren't planting as many this year. So they sit on the kitchen table until then.

Not much going on yet today. Got to smooth the skim coat at the local daughter's house later this morning.

Terry - hang in there! Your employer's policies and attitude, they totally defy comprehension 🤬 Doubling up on the prayers...
He does this a lot to everybody.
I finally got an excuse for dropping me from dental, and adding me to vision:
"I see you wear glasses, so I thought that plan would help".
I guess he didn't notice I have teeth. Maybe I should bite him.

So why is that? I mean get a new dentist. I've had some costly dentist visits my self lately. I had some implants put in. $2,100 per implant.
I was incorrect in the price I stated. It is $309 for the initial “meet the dentist” visit, not $307. That is for the initial exam, and schedule actual work for a later date, time, and cost.
When I asked why the initial visit was so expensive, I was told they were busy.

Good Morning!
We are now into that short, pre-green-up period that mother nature finds so humorous. It will be +60°F today under blue skies; warm enough for the pretty girls to get out and show off their wares in shorts and halter-tops. Just the calm before the storm, as nature is supposed to sucker punch us with more snow come Sunday. - As I walked into the coffee shop, it was 32° outside.

Yesterday was a fine, sunny day, as well.
I went for a walk into the local CN staging area, and was blessed with the sight of the local switchers committed to their work. An SD70-I leading an SD40-2W were trooping back and forth, arranging box and tank cars over the 9-track spread. As far as I could tell, there were two conductors on the ground throwing switches and one engineer in the cab of the SD70. - They did acknowledge my presence with a wave. I made darn sure I stayed well out of the way, though, as I was snapping photographs. I have no intention of ruining my welcome into the staging area, so I will only take photographs from a safe distance.

Here are a few of the many photographs I took in the staging area; The SD70-I, CN 5606:
CN 5606_SD70 I_04-15-2021 (1).jpg

CN 5606_SD70 I_04-15-2021 (4).jpg

CN 5606_SD70 I_04-15-2021 (3).jpg

Below is another bridge photo showing the SD70 leading an SD40 and a short train of empty box cars over the Mcleod River. The switchers are bringing the box cars into town to drop off at the local Millar Western sawmill.
CN 5606_SD70 I_04-15-2021 (2).jpg

Actually, I'm very happy with the many photographs I secured yesterday, even though I don't like early spring natural light. The sun is still too low in the sky to give a nice, rich light. Photos under spring light always look like they need color correction.

Someone asked me what all those lights are shining on in the staging area, and I forgot to answer. -- Those are area lights that illuminate the many rail switches located at either end of the nine track staging yard. All of the switches have keyed locks on them, so I suspect the workers need a-bit of light to see what they are doing in the dark of night.

Anyway, that's enough yap about my photo taking adventures for one day. Perhaps I'll post some more photos tomorrow.

I'd better finish my toast and coffee, and get on with the day.
Thank you for all the likes on my past posts. I always try to bring in the odd photo, just to add some interest.
Have a good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back