Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
After three accidents in my first year here from holding my lane, I finally decided to do what everybody else here does, said "F everybody else", and simply drive in the left lane. Having a very large pickup truck with a trailer hitch sticking out the back tends to minimize tailgaters.
That was me when I was still driving. Big Red Quad Cab with the hitch sticking out also helped to keep cars from parking too close to the back bumper. Before I had the hitch, I would drop the tailgate on the hood of a few cars that would park inches off my bumper. Any hood damage was of their own making.

After three accidents in my first year here from holding my lane, I finally decided to do what everybody else here does, said "F everybody else", and simply drive in the left lane. Having a very large pickup truck with a trailer hitch sticking out the back tends to minimize tailgaters.

I'm surprised you get away with it. My experience driving in NC is that they do enforce left lane traffic laws. I've witnessed it myself driving on 40 between RT 95 and Wilmington. That road is peppered with "slower traffic, move right" signs. I wish they had them here.

Traffic volume(I lived in South Jersey for 42 years) is the primary reason why I did my long road trips(500-1000+ miles) during the overnight hours.

Mike: I hear you...But in Central and North Jersey, the high volume traffic never ends, even overnight. I sometimes miss my morning commutes on the Parkway, then realize, i may no longer be up to it. Nights do have their hazards too, like deer, fog, road construction/maintenance and impaired drivers

F everybody else", and simply drive in the left lane. Having a very large pickup truck with a trailer hitch sticking out the back tends to minimize tailgaters.

Terry: For sure.I notice the difference while driving the sedan vs the pickup. people around here pull out in front of you pretending you don't exist, when you are driving a car, but think twice when they see the truck.

Mike: I hear you...But in Central and North Jersey, the high volume traffic never ends, even overnight. I sometimes miss my morning commutes on the Parkway, then realize, i may no longer be up to it. Nights do have their hazards too, like deer, fog, road construction/maintenance and impaired drivers

Terry: For sure.I notice the difference while driving the sedan vs the pickup. people around here pull out in front of you pretending you don't exist, when you are driving a car, but think twice when they see the truck.
Joe- one time, when MOH was driving the truck & someone pulled out right in front of her, she legitimately said “Seriously? How do you not see me? BFRT!!”. And, yes, North Jersey(& Philly) traffic never ceases, day or night. That’s why anytime I would go to New England, I would go up to NW Jersey & pickup 84 by Pt Jervis.

Morning Gentlemen and Ladies!
Starting the day at 52 degrees and looking for a high of 58. All with more of the crummy conditions persisting from yesterday.
I wouldn't mind the "crummy" if it just came with water!
I can compare traffic with the best of you! LOL :D

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 53°, expecting a dreary looking day today. The thunderstorms have been removed from today's forecast, they swept by earlier today but remained north of the Texas/Oklahoma border. It's still expected to reach 70° though, once the northerly wind lets up.
Spent time again yesterday on my second hobby, gardening. I put in about a third of the tee-posts that I use for the tomato cages, and installed all of the free-standing ones for the bell pepper plants.

I'm ready for a big plate of scrambled eggs and a few slices of Taylor Ham this morning Flo.

Thanks to everyone who commented on or liked the ongoing layout pictorial; Karl, Sherrel, Tom O, Hughie, Justin, Garry, Chad, Gary, Joe, Phil.

It was a limited project day in the train shed yesterday. I did complete that small parking area on the abandoned road in Rycon Township, so that is behind me now.
IMG_6009.JPG

The "ghost" road strips worked out although not as well as I would have liked. The barrier posts look good, yes they are not all straight, but look at real life ones. I was originally thinking of adding some chunked up asphalt to the scene, but decided not to. I will however still be adding some debris like newspapers and other urban street junk as soon as I can dig the stuff out to make it with.
I ran trains for a while and had to remove a malfunctioning boxcar. Turned out to be nothing more than another of those infernal small cobwebs interfering with a Kadee coupler spring. Since I already had the weathering stuff out anyway, I lightly weathered it. It represents a relatively new car on the layout, as it's build date is in 1987 so it just got dirt along the sill and rust on the top only.
IMG_6016.JPG

IMG_6015.JPG

I took a day off the cleaning project, but I did remove the next structure for dusting, C&T Refrigeration. It's on the workbench right now. In addition to cleaning, which is going to be minimal since I just worked on it recently, I am going to add scuppers and downspouts and some outside non-working light fixtures. Looks like it could also use some window detailing, but I may just add that to the project list instead of doing it now.
IMG_6010.JPG

Tom O - OK, you may not read this since you're going to be flying today, but here goes anyway.
I get to eat, pork, fish and chicken
I cook them all on the grill as well. Ain't nothing wrong with them. Well, for me the fish has to come out of the salt-water ocean, not some lake in a farmer's field!
Deep fried turkeys are an absolute disaster all around. My SIL has a fryer and brings it out here when using it. We set it on concrete blocks in the middle of the gravel drive to reduce clean-up.
Jaz -
never ever paint a blond with yellow hair,
You've not seen modern Canadian girls recently? Actually I agree for the most part, but if I am placing a blond figure inside a building behind glass, it actually works better for me to use yellow. Otherwise I use Polly Scale "Catwhisker Yellow", which is closer to a "dirty blond" color.
Different Subject. Are your structures scratchbuilt or are those type of kits available on your side of the pond. I never looked so I don't know.
Chad -
We don't even need toll roads in Utah.
Technically there is no connection being a toll road and the speed limit of 85 mph on Tx-130. It's built about 15-20 miles away from and parallel to IH35 through Austin. It happens to be 130 miles long and allows drivers to avoid the total traffic mess in Austin and surrounding areas. To me a better option would be to charge a toll on IH35 and let people drive for free on the toll road. It would increase revenue and decrease congestion.
Greg - Good luck with the exercise program.
The taste of beef around here varies a lot depending on which place you buy it at, whether fresh or prepared. Since we're in the middle of beef country, there are a lot of choices.
George - I have a few pending projects around here that you can help out on. I don't pay much, but the food and beverages that I throw in are always excellent.

Today is National Gardening Day. I'll certainly participate. It's also National Ex-Spouses Day! Why the hell would anyone celebrate anything other than they are now "Ex's"?
Everyone have a great day. Be safe.

Good morning Crew. We just buckled up and are heading to Austin where we will spend the night with the son. Flight tomorrow is not yet 100% locked in.

Willie, except in sub-zero weather the grill on the deck in the choice to cook with. We have a grill on the oven but it’s not the same as a REAL grill to me. Unfortunately it is propane.

Turning off the phone per the flight staff announcement.

be safe
TomO

WILLIE, GEETEE, HUGHIE, and others.
I have a cousin who lives very near downtown Austin that the Spousal Unit and I visited about three years back?
Never again will I go near that place! We were in the RV and spent 2 hours trying to go about 2 miles! In Austin's defence, I will admit that it was right at 4 PM.

Good morning Crew. We just buckled up and are heading to Austin where we will spend the night with the son. Flight tomorrow is not yet 100% locked in.

Willie, except in sub-zero weather the grill on the deck in the choice to cook with. We have a grill on the oven but it’s not the same as a REAL grill to me. Unfortunately it is propane.

Turning off the phone per the flight staff announcement.

be safe
TomO
Hope you have a great time,me I would be nervous of being in a plane with recycled air.....but then I am a total coward

Hope you have a great time,me I would be nervous of being in a plane with recycled air.....but then I am a total coward

We flew to Florida and back over the last week and a half. I happened to read something that the air on most modern planes is cleaner than in an operating room at a hospital due to the extensive and modern filtration systems in modern passenger planes. Don't know if it is true or not but it was not in airline propaganda, but in some other piece as an "aside" piece of info.

I'm surprised you get away with it. My experience driving in NC is that they do enforce left lane traffic laws. I've witnessed it myself driving on 40 between RT 95 and Wilmington. That road is peppered with "slower traffic, move right" signs. I wish they had them here.
I get away with it here because everybody in the right lane is going under the speed limit. I drive at the local “nudge, nudge, wink, wink” speed, which is technically “faster”. For those that don’t know, here locally that is 9mph+...

I got my license at 14 in Texas before they changed the law in '67 or so.
I also got my legitimate licence at 18 one month within being allowed to take my test,I did accidentally gab the examiners knee instead of the steering stick but he had his knee touching the stick,not my fault honest injun,my dad used to let me drive his VWs beetle,and variant when on fields on camping holidays,in the beetle he would let me put my right foot on the break and change gears, whilst he was driving as a kid I loved it as an adult I would never have trusted my own kids,one IMR my dad got his beetle and tent trailer in the mud he got me to drive because my mum never got better than kangaroo petrol (fast slow fast slow) he pushed the trailer I did exactly as told we got out of the mud but my dad fell in face first.....my mum could not keep a straight face and we were all in giggles on the drive home, happy days, my kids got to drive a ride on lawnmower backwards faster than forwards even with a trailer, I drive a Kabuto mx110 on the odd occasion but usually the other half drives it,we are no till, and I can guess any farmers are saying why the tractor? well it moves a pallet and upto one and a half tonne,we have a cherry picker - worth it weight earned it’s purchase,a bucket a rin1 bucket a log grabber a pallet fork all have had good use.
I owned a red spitfire shiny and chrome, which used to attract a lot of attention,I am sure my other half married me for the car lol.I did start to learn a motorbike, but we moved country, the other half has had the Kawasaki 750 / 1100 from Topgun, and a Honda CBR not the tourer the handles were at the back and when he accelerated I could end up with my legs in the air I used to abandon the bike handles and hold on to him....not that he was complaining,along the way fords,Audi,Range Rover,bmw 4 series coupe totally great drive but hard on bad surfaces,and recently Tesla 3,want a cybertruck!. But the UK version is due to be a wet Squibb to the US version you lucky lucky buggere

6A0580EE-6915-4F2C-94A1-266DF0FD587B.jpeg

not his
but this
2A9B498D-F2E6-444B-B543-2B8BFFCF837E.jpeg

Attachments

• EDD4E459-9BFB-4EF0-AD53-5D03C8AEC39B.jpeg
    EDD4E459-9BFB-4EF0-AD53-5D03C8AEC39B.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 97
WILLIE, GEETEE, HUGHIE, and others.
I have a cousin who lives very near downtown Austin that the Spousal Unit and I visited about three years back?
Never again will I go near that place! We were in the RV and spent 2 hours trying to go about 2 miles! In Austin's defence, I will admit that it was right at 4 PM.
In my experience, it doesn't matter what time of day you go through, RV or not. That's why I gladly pay the $4 or so toll to go around and get off in San Marcos (well before the other end) when we visit my son in San Antonio. Our truck drivers at work, used to tell me that it was like that even at 2 in the morning! They always paid out of their own pocket to go around when making the San Antonio run. Their "pay" computer paid them on the mileage thru Austin, and even though TX-130 was longer, it was faster and they didn't mind giving up the extra pay and the toll because they returned a day earlier and therefore could make another trip sooner. Anyone on the Austin run had no choice.

JAZ - Love the Beatlebug! My best friend in HS had a VW bug same color as your pic. His father was a single parent in the Army stationed in Germany. Rod was the only kid in my class to have a car - and there was only one other boy a couple years older who had wheels! We about ran the wheels off that little car. It would be four of us crammed into it sliding around the curves on gravel roads - we collected bottles, scrap iron, and anything we could find to put gas in it! Lots of memories!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back