The FINAL Expansion

KB02

Well... Probably the final expansion.

The time has come to finally finish the last loop on my layout so that the trains can complete their "Around the Room" journey. I've been slowly putting in shelving to get around the pool table, added in the Time Saver Puzzle shelf layout that was given to me, and now Whistle stop is ready to add in the last little bit of track.

The basic, and simple design looks like this:
50986072363_34baeca4ca_z.jpg

Of course I had some help from the other train freak in the family:
50986040303_6437430438_z.jpg

The frame:
50986855447_538602e6ca_z.jpg

And the baseboard:
50986855417_85d8841cf3_z.jpg

The 2" foam is held down with silicone and may get a drywall screw or two for good measure. There will be 8" wide facia board all around the edge once I get some (Lowes was completely out when I got the other supplies). In the little concave nook I'm hoping to put in a small stand to hold a laptop. We'll see how far that gets.

Soon there will be tracks...

The end of the weekend looked like this:
50996557676_0baae218d7_z.jpg

And with trains running and trackwork thoroughly tested, I officially have an "Around the Room" layout. And it all started with a simply 4x8....

...this hobby is worse than crack... :eek:🤣🤣🤣

There's going to be a siding along the wall for a passenger station; and I'm going to model an extension of the main line heading off the layout on the near side, complete with faux turnout, as a connection to the outside world.

The end of the weekend looked like this:
50996557676_0baae218d7_z.jpg

And with trains running and trackwork thoroughly tested, I officially have an "Around the Room" layout. And it all started with a simply 4x8....

...this hobby is worse than crack... :eek:🤣🤣🤣

There's going to be a siding along the wall for a passenger station; and I'm going to model an extension of the main line heading off the layout on the near side, complete with faux turnout, as a connection to the outside world.

Is that a 36" radius? or 22"?

The little one is nice and safe. 😁 Though if I had blocked him in down there, as long as I sent down gummies and chicken nuggets, I'm sure he'd be perfectly happy. :rolleyes:;)

Is that a 36" radius? or 22"?
22". If I ever tear the whole thing down and start from scratch, I'd go bigger, but the 22"r is an improvement over the 18's I started with. Just one last corner of the layout to rebuild and I will have officially stripped all 18"r curves from the main line of my layout.

----------------------

Today was a state holiday, so I was home and got a little work done. The faux turnout is complete and ready to accept inbound traffic from the imaginary outside world.
50997537686_61b3f109de_z.jpg

I think the stock rail on the right might be a little out of gauge at the top, but as it will never actually see any real traffic, I'm not too worried about it.

The little one is nice and safe. 😁 Though if I had blocked him in down there, as long as I sent down gummies and chicken nuggets, I'm sure he'd be perfectly happy. :rolleyes:;)
When my daughter was a toddler my wife took her to see Santa Claus. Santa asked her "What do you want for Christmas?" My daughter replied "A pack of gum." "Anything else?" "No. Just a pack of gum."
Santa looked at my wife as if to say "Enjoy this while it lasts!" It didn't last long.

Back