MTH 0-Scale 2-Rail 2-8-0 Consolidations.

Brakeman Hal

Hello, Trainmen! :)

An MTH company employee directed me to a website called MTH Product Locator, and I found that their 2-8-0-Consolidation locomotives were available in 18 different models, with different Road Names, Curve Radii, Valve Types, and with DCC and Sound.

Ten of these models have Walschearts valve gear, which is most interesting to see in action compare to the simple Baker or other valve gear.

In addition, all of these models have Blind (flangeless) Center Drivers, which enables them to operate on curve radii of 31", 36", or 42".

My choice among this list of 18 models is the MTH model 20-3162-2, which has Santa Fe lettering, Walschaerts Valve Gear, and operation on a 42" Radius, as well as having DCC and Proto Sound 2.0.

Now all I have to do is call every MTH dealer in the Country until I find one in stock!

Brakeman Hal

Last edited:
Don't forget that MTH is rumored to be going out of businessso support and pasts may get difficult to optain in the furture.

Greg

This is a prototype built by ALCO for Portland, Astoria, & Pacific, a 2-8-2 built for back woods hauling. It has both central axles blind. It can go through a real #5 turnout. On static display as Woss, Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Last fired maybe 1990, but only for family days.

index.php

Have had no success with Ebay finding what I want in an O-Scale 2-Rail Steam Engine. Although I appreciate their offers, they are always older, obsolete models without DCC and Sound effects.

The only way I can be sure of getting what I want is to send my MTH 4-6-2 Pacific to a repair shop that is equipped to do the job. It has a great DCS system, with 2O different sounds, including Drift Chuff and Labored Chuff depending on the load and grade steepness.

If I could get that engine in an MTH 2-8-0 Consolidation, I would order it without hesitation!

The MTH catalog number for the Consolidation is 20-3162-2. It has ProtoSound 2.0, Santa Fe lettering, Walschearts Valve Gear, and will operate on 42" radius O-Scale 2-Rail track. (The suffix-2 indicates 2-Rail)

Hal

Last edited:
Have had no success with Ebay finding what I want in an O-Scale 2-Rail Steam Engine. Although I appreciate their offers, they are always older, obsolete models without DCC and Sound effects.

The MTH catalog number for the Consolidation is 20-3162-2. It has ProtoSound 2.0, Santa Fe lettering, Walschearts Valve Gear, and will operate on 42" radius O-Scale 2-Rail track. (The suffix-2 indicates 2-Rail)
I know you want a western road name, but that is the thing with ebay. It isn't a store. Things come up basically randomly. Here is a 2-rail Pennsy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-MTH-Die...943150?hash=item2f3635912e:g:1WoAAOSwtV9dcmzN

Enter your search. Tell it to save the search and indicate e-mail notification. It will tell you when the one you want pops up.

Iron Horseman,

Here's a list of MTH 0-Scale 2-Rail 2-8-0 Consolidations with DCC, Proto2 or Proto3 Sound, and Walschearts valve gear, which will run on 31", 36", and 42" curves.

These are no longer in the MTH catalog, and could only be found used.

20-3162-2 SF My top choice...Santa Fe!
20-3264-2 IC
20-3265-2 RDG
20-3230-2 LI
20-3231-2 PRR
22-3550-2 WM
22-3551-2 WM
22-3552-2 PLE
22-3564-2 PRR
22-3565-2 LI

If you could tell me how to initiate an EBAY search for these models, it would really be helpful!

Thanks,
Brakeman Hal

Last edited:
Iron Horseman,

Here's a list of MTH 0-Scale 2-Rail 2-8-0 Consolidations with DCC, Proto2 or Proto3 Sound, and Walschearts valve gear, which will run on 31", 36", and 42" curves.

These are no longer in the MTH catalog, and could only be found used.

20-3162-2 SF My top choice...Santa Fe!
20-3264-2 IC
20-3265-2 RDG
20-3230-2 LI
20-3231-2 PRR
22-3550-2 WM
22-3551-2 WM
22-3552-2 PLE
22-3564-2 PRR
22-3565-2 LI

If you could tell me how to initiate an EBAY search for these models, it would really be helpful!

Thanks,
Brakeman Hal

Hal,

In the ebay search bar, type in the string you would like to search on, then hit the "Search" button. Once the results are returned, you will have an option to save the search (assuming you are logged in). The blue box in the bottom right of the image below is what you should be looking for.

1611179650204.png

Once you've saved the search, you can go into "My Ebay - Saved Searches" (see image below, underlined) and can set your communication preferences, or manually review results.

1611179832436.png

For your list, I would search each part number independently then save each search.

When you're done with a search you can go into the search list and "unsubscribe email" from a specific search:

1611179918781.png

Hal,

In the ebay search bar, type in the string you would like to search on, then hit the "Search" button. Once the results are returned, you will have an option to save the search (assuming you are logged in). The blue box in the bottom right of the image below is what you should be looking for.

View attachment 123614

Once you've saved the search, you can go into "My Ebay - Saved Searches" (see image below, underlined) and can set your communication preferences, or manually review results.

View attachment 123615

For your list, I would search each part number independently then save each search.

When you're done with a search you can go into the search list and "unsubscribe email" from a specific search:
ianacole, thank you for posting that for him. I was going to, but just not found the time for it yet.

Friends, I tried that on all 10 of the contenders from my list, and they're just not there!

Maybe I should regroup my thoughts on wanting a 2-8-0 Consolidation....my train is a light freight of only 8 cars, and runs across flat desert terrain. Do I really need 8 drivers for this?

Maybe there would be more to choose from if I asked for a 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler or a 2-6-0 Mogul, with DCC and sound, of course...
Hal
IMG_0712.JPG
013.JPG

Last edited:
Ebay can be a bit of a waiting game. I've had searches out there that have taken years, some filled, some not (I collect very specific baseball cards through ebay).

If I wait 2 years, I'll be 86, so I'd like to get a steamer soon.

If I change my choice to a 2-6-0 or a 4-6-0 with DCC & Sound, maybe there will be more available.

Hal

Brakeman Hal,
Just got news that Atlas is starting production with the former MTH tooling. They have produced a madison passenger car, and the 4-6-2 Pacific. I can't imagine it will be too long before they go for the 2-8-0. A note to them might help especially to let them know you want 2-rail version.

Brakeman Hal,
Just got news that Atlas is starting production with the former MTH tooling. They have produced a madison passenger car, and the 4-6-2 Pacific. I can't imagine it will be too long before they go for the 2-8-0. A note to them might help especially to let them know you want 2-rail version.

Back