Prebuilt bench work

Here is the bench work I had for my single level layout. 1x4 "select" pine for the frame work. "Select Pine" is a better grade of wood than the "Common" grade of pine. Better stability.
IMG_2032.JPG

I used the 2" thick rigid foam on top, no plywood, no nothing else. I'm redoing the layout, looking at going with 1" thick foam next time around.
IMG_2044.JPG

My opinions have proven wrong many times. However, I wonder if most model railroaders don't simply go the Lumber store and buy the raw lumber it takes to build their benchwork? That is how I did it and would do it in any future layot building. As far as the table top goes, either Plywood or Foam, depending on if lightness is necessary; or, a sculptable surface is needed. Personally, I like Plywood atleast for the track bed.

My opinions have proven wrong many times. However, I wonder if most model railroaders don't simply go the Lumber store and buy the raw lumber it takes to build their benchwork?
I am of the same opinion, but I have seen what seems to be a lot of interest in Kam Konnect here in Texas. While I only know long time modelers who built their own benchwork, Kam Konnect always drew crowds at pre-Covid train shows that I attended in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. They've been around since at least 2014 (unsure, maybe longer), so some one must be purchasing their products.

Ooops, sorry, missed the " prebuilt benchwork"

Gee, how’d that happen? I’ve never misread a topic.

That ain’t true. I can’t count the number of times I have responded on a forum to then go back and re-read the title or OP‘s 1st posting and realized I wasn’t in the same ball park. I think at least once we all have.

2track, Jerry however that framework of yours is top notch. Well done sir

TomO

Last edited:
Pre- built. If I was in an apartment, not happy with power tools or had a physical challenge I definitely see the need. Willie mentions Kamkonnet. There is a Wisconsin base company that has advertised forever in MRR magazine. I am not sure if they are still in Wisconsin but here is the website:
316B2697-B768-4376-A56A-73F0EE6A37FD.gif

well that’s not working very well.

Sieversbenchwork.com

I didn’t mind building my bench work and we all have different ideas. If you can afford it and don’t have a desire to build it yourself who cares what other folks opinions are. I say try it and let us know in your opinion if its a good decision. Where are you based, maybe someone near you can help out.

I used 2” foam and in xpansion I am thinking of going with 2-2” thick sheet of the formular 250 board from HD.

Have fun

TomO

Last edited:
I am of the same opinion, but I have seen what seems to be a lot of interest in Kam Konnect here in Texas. While I only know long time modelers who built their own benchwork, Kam Konnect always drew crowds at pre-Covid train shows that I attended in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. They've been around since at least 2014 (unsure, maybe longer), so some one must be purchasing their products.

I am now leaning towards using Kam Connect for my next layout. I really like the fact that the modules are relatively light weight and portable. I really don't trust my carpentry skills. I have learned the hard way that I really need to plan for portable layouts. Even if I don't plan to take them out of my house, the ability to move a layout comes in very handy.

One of my friends has gone with Mienne for a large layout that he is building. From what I see, Mienne is really meant for permanent layouts but the workmanship quality of the materials is excellent.

As far as my benchwork is concerned, I make it all so it is easily disassembled so the weight of the bench work doesn't matter as it breaks down into smaller parts. Now when it comes to the actual table that track work, scenery and trains go on, that is where if you want a truly portable layout this is the part that needs to be light. Since I have not even started this part of my layout, other than using foam for the scenery base, I am unsure of how to proceed. I really have no intentions of building a portable layout to be taken to shows and such. My interest is in making things easy to remove from the basement when I decide Model Railroading is no longer and interest; or, I kick the Bucket!

Last edited:

Back