New here, looking for advice getting my Tyco HO train working again

thetravhi

Hi, Everyone! Great site, just found it!

I just pulled out my Tyco Silver Streak train from back in 1980 (I think). I am writing today to get some support. My back up locomotive is not running, but it is very close. I just need some help. it is a Milwaukee Road (see pictures). When I put it in the tracks it will light up and everything spins, but it is not connected to the main engine. And, I am not sure how it connects to the wheels. Please see the pictures below, if you can offer any advice, that would be wonderful.

-Mike :)

PS. My original Silver Streak locomotive only lights up, but doesn't move, but that will be for another discussion topic in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_3743.JPG
    IMG_3743.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_3745.JPG
    IMG_3745.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_3744.JPG
    IMG_3744.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 300
When you say “everything spins”. I assume you mean the motor and the shaft from the motor, but not the wheels on the truck. The second picture clearly shows the end of the motor shaft disconnected from the input shaft on the truck. The two gray pieces join together to form the connection between the motor and the truck. Usually the just snap into place.

Welcome. This website is full of very knowledgeable people willing to help. I wish you luck, it does look as simple as gjohnston has suggested and the drive shaft has come apart.

A word of caution. My son-in-law brought over his tyco & AHM trains from when he was a child in the early 1980s. I have been assisting and offering advice to him and my grandson to get a layout working. The plastic on his locomotives are brittle and for every step we take forward something else comes apart in our hands.

Based off of the pictures, I would say that you are missing a piece. There should be a dog-bone style drive shaft that would fit into the grey cups.
Something like this:
624OX-OOGO1.jpg

IMG_4296.JPG

Also looks like you have the motor sitting a little too far forward in the pics.

Motor re-power gone bad :-(
And, I doubt it is a Tyco.
Looks like life-like.
Candidate for trash can IMHO.

Last edited:
3 options ,
1. save the shell , and use on an Athearn Blue Box drive.
2. remove the gears and convert to a dummy ,
3. chuck it .

Its main value is in the nostalgia to you.

3 options ,
1. save the shell , and use on an Athearn Blue Box drive.
2. remove the gears and convert to a dummy ,
3. chuck it .

Its main value is in the nostalgia to you.
I'm afraid I'd have to agree with GeeTee. The motor appears to be loose, as well as the drive shaft connector being missing. You might be able to find an Athearn driveshaft part that would fit (possibly from Walthers or on ebay), but it might not be worth the effort. The motor runs on DC only, and if the rest of the set has a DC power pack, you'd want an Athearn Blue Box model. A used one, in working order, would probably be a lot cheaper than a new one. The shell might fit an Athearn Blue Box chassis, but you would probably be better to remove the gears from your model's trucks and use it as a dummy. Let us know what you decide.

If you're not emotionally attached to the engine, the best thing for it is to use it for display or weathering/painting practice.
If you really want it to run again, no matter what, we can advise you, just be aware it will cost much more than it's worth to do almost anything with it.

Welcome. This website is full of very knowledgeable people willing to help. I wish you luck, it does look as simple as gjohnston has suggested and the drive shaft has come apart.

A word of caution. My son-in-law brought over his tyco & AHM trains from when he was a child in the early 1980s. I have been assisting and offering advice to him and my grandson to get a layout working. The plastic on his locomotives are brittle and for every step we take forward something else comes apart in our hands.

Yes, I am wondering if it is all worth it. But, when I look online for new ones that have everything this set has, there is none cheap.

I will post pics if I get everything up and running.

Based off of the pictures, I would say that you are missing a piece. There should be a dog-bone style drive shaft that would fit into the grey cups.
Something like this:
624OX-OOGO1.jpg

IMG_4296.JPG

Also looks like you have the motor sitting a little too far forward in the pics.

That is exactly what I need! I have figured out how to remount the engine and there is definitely distance between the two gears. Thank you for the post! Where would I get something like this? I figured if I can't, I can print it on a 3D printer at school, but no access to it until after COVID.

I had some old Athearn Blue Box Locomotives that I upgraded and converted to DCC. It was a good project and helped me understand how they work, and they are serviceable on the layout. But they do not compare to the newer locomotives I have purchased since. I think your money will be well spent on newer locomotives. The technology has come a long way since your locomotive was made.

Can I ask another question, since everyone has been so helpful. I have an original Tyco Silver Streak set from the 80s. It runs on DC power. The power still works for this, but this thread was about the problems with one of my trains.

I am now thinking of getting a new locomotive for it. Maybe one like this link. Will it run on my old system? I am including a picture of the power system, which is still functional.

Thank you for any advice. I will share pictures when I get everything up and running.

Attachments

• IMG_3768.JPG
    IMG_3768.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 174
Yes this model is Standard DC powered. This assumes your DC power pack is in good working condition. They do go bad and can put out too much power and ruin your equipment. You can check the voltage with a multi meter.

Last edited:
Yes this model is Standard DC powered .
Agree. Walther's Trainline are fine entry level locomotives.

Back