Help with DCC wiring

Good evening

I was hoping to get some expert advice on DCC wiring. I have provided a diagram of my layout and the current flow of my operation. I run an NCE power cab and Digitrax AR1 auto reverser as I have a reverse loop.
I have also added a light bulb/circuit breaker/current absorber. I tried to follow all the advice discussed in previous posts as best I could but I have run into problems. What I am finding is that the train makes it around the loop ok but it just comes to a stop where I have wired in my auto reverser and circuit breaker. Can you see anything wrong with my wiring from the diagram provided? Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• wiring diagran.jpg
    wiring diagran.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 142
The way the wiring is shown, unless I'm in need of sleep, I don't see a need for a Auto-reverser. But, I see some problems with the wiring as shown and you don't need to show the wring as being reversed in the reversing sections of the wiring plan, the reverser will do the work in reverse loop wiring..

Greg

Last edited:
I'm not able to decipher your diagramme, but I agree that there is no need for a reverser. What you must do is to ensure all rails closest to the left or to the wall have one colour of insulation and that they all attach, eventually, to only one output terminal on your NCE. The other rails, naturally, all terminate at the other output on your NCE. I say this assuming you are at right in the diagramme and standing facing toward the layout's corner.

What confuses me is the box graphic right in the corner where the two layout tables meet. It almost looks like you have reversed wiring there, but there is absolutely no need for an actual reversing mechanism. You don't have a turning wye, or a loop that folds back onto itself and has the train exiting at the entrance-affording turnout.

Not quite sure how to read the diagram. In the "yard" it looks like you have a crossing (two separate tracks crossing each other with no way for a move to go from one route to the other). If that is a crossing, you don't have a reversing loop. If it is a pair of switches back to bak or a double slip switch, then yes you do have a reversing loop.

Also don't know what the orange block is on the left. If its supposed to be insulating gaps, then you need more if you do have a reversing loop.

The light bulb "circuit breaker", is also probably in the wrong place. All it detects now is a short in the reversing loop, not the main bus. If you have just one it should be between the NCE command station and the layout.

Thank you I wasn't sure where to put the circuit breaker that helps a lot. What I tried to show with the diagram is the flow of power I don't know if i'
The way the wiring is shown, unless I'm in need of sleep, I don't see a need for a Auto-reverser. But, I see some problems with the wiring as shown and you don't need to show the wring as being reversed in the reversing sections of the wiring plan, the reverser will do the work in reverse loop wiring..

Greg
Thanks for the response, here is my explanation of the diagram, sorry for the confusion i'm not an electrician 🙂 .
The yard to the bottom left is my starting point as it is my main railway station. The track that leads out to the loop (i.e. the track leading to the loop on the right side) I will call my outbound track for arguments sake, although the two can work interchangeably. The track leading out from the loop back to my station I will call the inbound track. The red and black wiring identified on the layout was my interpretation of the how the two coloured wires work along the track into the loop and return to the station. I didn't show how many feeders I have installed but they are on the layout none the less.

My issue: I thought the reversing loop occurs between the points connecting the outbound track and the inbound track just after the orange insulation fishplates on the inbound track leading back into the station This was pointed out to me as being a reverse loop. This kind of made sense to me because if I removed the remaining track of the inbound line (after the points) the train would simply complete a reverse loop.

I have just had a thought as I was discussing this with you. I have made a simpler diagram with a slight change of wiring which may solve my problem, your feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 110
Have you tried adjusting the current on your AR-1?
Thanks for the reply, yes I did but the train only starts up again after the points past the insulation gap leading to the bottom left yard. It was sputtering as it travelled but a slight tweak of the screw solved the problem. I have resubmitted another diagram that might illustrate the issue a little better than my first attempt.

I'm not able to decipher your diagram, but I agree that there is no need for a reverser. What you must do is to ensure all rails closest to the left or to the wall have one colour of insulation and that they all attach, eventually, to only one output terminal on your NCE. The other rails, naturally, all terminate at the other output on your NCE. I say this assuming you are at right in the diagram and standing facing toward the layout's corner.

What confuses me is the box graphic right in the corner where the two layout tables meet. It almost looks like you have reversed wiring there, but there is absolutely no need for an actual reversing mechanism. You don't have a turning wye, or a loop that folds back onto itself and has the train exiting at the entrance-affording turnout.
Sorry for the confusion, I am still learning how all this works. I have resubmitted a new diagram that hopefully illustrates the issue a little better. I have made some modifications based on all the advice I received, which I am hoping will resolve the issue. Any advice will be appreciated.

Not quite sure how to read the diagram. In the "yard" it looks like you have a crossing (two separate tracks crossing each other with no way for a move to go from one route to the other). If that is a crossing, you don't have a reversing loop. If it is a pair of switches back to bak or a double slip switch, then yes you do have a reversing loop.

Also don't know what the orange block is on the left. If its supposed to be insulating gaps, then you need more if you do have a reversing loop.

The light bulb "circuit breaker", is also probably in the wrong place. All it detects now is a short in the reversing loop, not the main bus. If you have just one it should be between the NCE command station and the layout.
Thanks for the reply, and for pointing out the issue with the light bulb. I was trying to follow a video who suggested something along those lines, it didn't quite make sense to me either but I again I am a novice at this stuff. In regards to Insulators, yes I do have more insulator's the bottom left yard is completely isolated from the main loop.
Your suggestion regarding the circuit breaker makes perfect sense to me and I will make the changes today. Q: is the this the best way to wire the circuit breaker (see diagram)

Attachments

• circuit breaker.jpg
    circuit breaker.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 103
Yes, the light bulb is to be wired in series, which I see in your graphic. Just be aware that there is an input and and output for the series wiring as far as the bulb is concerned (I'm not an electrical technician or an engineer, so it may be irrelevant). The side of the bulb's metal base is for power in, and the nub at the bottom is for power out. So, wire accordingly.

I do now see the potential phase conflict with the improved diagramme. I would wire the AR to the large loop at top, and gap where you have the gaps.

I don't think you have drawn what you actually have. I think the yard area actually looks like:
Loop.png

If that is the case then you need to put in a second set of gaps in both rails. Everything outside the red circle is connected to the main bus. Everything inside the red circle is connected to the output of the AR1. That is your reversing section.
AR1.png

Hi David thanks for the post. You are absolutely correct that is how my track is connected and yes that is where I have connected insulated joiners. I wasn't sure if I needed any on the turnout leading into the inbound track to the right hand side. I haven't as yet I didn't seem to have any issues when I have tested the train thus far. Effectively it is two rail districts I figured that's all needed as it's only a medium sized layout. However I have just rewired the layout to take into consideration all the suggestions made thus far. I didn't get a chance to test it all yet I will do that tomorrow. Fingers crossed I got it right 😁.

Thank you all thus far for your advice and support and I wish you all a great New Year. Hopefully it will be a better than 2020.

Back