Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 43° right now. Forecast is for cooler days with rain tomorrow and Wednesday, then a couple of cold days, then gradually warming back up to normal days (shorts and tee shirts) with temps in the mid-60's by Monday. Possible freezing rain Thursday morning though.
Another trip this morning, it's a doctor appointment for my quarterly check up and blood draw. Wife piggy-backed an appointment with mine so we'll be seeing him together.

No breakfast this morning Flo, as I am supposed to be fasting for the blood draw.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the Christmas Day booty pictures yesterday; Phil, Guy, Hughie, Troy, Karl, Ken, Tom, James, Garry, Curt, Tom O, Jerry, Gary, Rick.

I managed to spend some time in the train shed yesterday afternoon, after three day's of absence. Obviously I wanted to play with some of my new stuff. I concentrated on figures first, since I received 235 new ones, 32 painted and the remaining 203 unpainted. I had bought two sets of Preiser cafe patrons to use in the plaza between two restaurants'
IMG_5347.JPG

IMG_5350.JPG

IMG_5351.JPG

I have three figures leftover from these two sets to use elsewhere. I'll still be on the lookout for additional stuff for the other side of the plaza.
Then I started on the unpainted figures. I randomly pulled out 16 of them and whittled the luggage off three of them and got started. I used two different flesh shades and added three shades of blue and brown so far, getting some pants, shoes, hair and dresses.
IMG_5353.JPG

That glossy blue on the two figures on the left sorta reflects the light, but I'll fix that when I dull coat them later...a process that I always do. The plan for today is to use a second shade of brown and another shade of blue, before using some black for shoes, belts, ties etc.
Despite having right at 700 figures on the layout, I could easily use 400-500 more. I have what I need, just need to apply paint. I have another ~110 already painted that are slated for scenes that aren't already on the layout, or who just don't fit into existing ones. Just wait until I get to the nude sunbathers scene some day. They are easy to paint although the lack of live models was disappointing.

Kleiner - Even though I might never computerize my layout, I am fascinated by several of the things that you describe.
Guy - Are they really being that strict up there regarding family gatherings? Or just threatening to be? It doesn't seem that extreme lockdowns are working out too well in some states here. Those pictures of the SD75I's don't look bad.
James - Great news on the medical front. Glad that it worked out for you. I really didn't want to read about another procedure like that; made me cringe even though it was being done on some one else!
Gary -
Willie, do you nail your track down vice glue or caulk no then just hold down later with ballast ?
I use white glue to hold the cork roadbed to the plywood deck, and then I use track nails to put down the track. For me, it's easier if I make a mistake to remove stuff and replace. Later when I use a rattle can of spray paint to paint the track and ties, the nail heads disappear. Random ties get painted a different shade of brown, so if any nail head is too obvious I can sometimes "overpaint" it. I had originally planned to remove the nails after the ballast dried but I found that I really didn't need to do that.

Gotta go and prepare for the doc.
Everybody have a great day.

Morning all,

I hope you all had a great Christmas. We got a call on Christmas morning that since it was supposed to be at least 60° on Saturday, could we do Christmas on the patio with masks, etc. So we had Christmas the day after instead of a month or 2 from now. It was nice to see all the grandkids. The older ones, (10, 8, 73/4) are old enough to know what's up with the masks and distancing and mom\dad held on to the 18 month old, so it was a nice time. I got cash which the kids had earmarked for the bathroom remodel the wife wants to do. She wants to remove the tub\shower and put a in a walk in shower. It isn't just the shower though. Once the tub enclosure is out, we'll also need new flooring, sink and vanity, and since the toilet has it's issues, might as well change that as well. I figure at least 5 grand to redo it as I'm not really in a position to do it myself anymore. oh well.....

I did get to work on my 0-6-0 switch engine. I had purchased some #2 3/8" bolts, which are long enough to allow me the spacers I need on the tender. Still not quite there, but closer.

Morning!
24° under a cloudy sky, in the dark and in a provincial lockdown. It's rather depressing.
It's just going to be a quiet, slow day; not going fishing; likely not going to do any modeling. I'll probably be throwing some unused stuff onto the bay, and see if I can't get some extra hobby money.
Frankly, I wasn't even feeling up to making a post today - Then I saw that Willie asked a question:

Guy - Are they really being that strict up there regarding family gatherings? Or just threatening to be?
Willie - I know that some in the city, who are blatantly disregarding other peoples safety are receiving fines. Here in small town Alberta, it dosen't seem to be that much of a concern. Most people are just decent, and respecting other folks safety. - I believe that for the most part, fines are just a threat, and warnings are more common. - My wife and I are definitely respecting other peoples space, and masking up if we have to go out. We don't need or want any trouble, and are content with waiting it out.
I really do like the outdoor eatery scene you are making. Well done!

Earlier this year, when I started making HO structures, I wondered if brick walls were actually 'red'. Up here, we calls brick walls 'red brick'. The fact is, though, I don't notice walls when I'm walking down the street. It bothered me that I couldn't picture a brick wall in my head as any other color than earth red. - So, I decided to go downtown and photograph the walls of brick commercial buildings.
As it turns out, there is a good variety in color and texture of brick walls. They arn't all just red:
Brick_1.jpg

Brick_2.jpg

Brick_3.jpg

I know the photos are just ho-hum, but, they are a reference to help me in my modeling.
We don't have alot of brick buildings here in the west; mostly wood frame, metal, or cinder block.

Anyway, even though I wasn't feeling up to it, there is my daily post.

Thanks for the likes on yesterday's blip-blap! Have a good one!

greetings all.

Back at the daily grind for most of the week. Got to see mom on Saturday, after isolating for 2 weeks. Like I have anything else to do. ;)

PATRICK: Wife wants to do the same to our main bath. Unfortunately, previous owners (2 or 3 back) put in a jacuzzi tub sitting right on the floor joists to make the plumbing easier. This condo used to have a Jack n Jill bath arrangement (like the children's bathroom from the Brady Bunch - loo and sink on either side, with a single tub shared between the gents and ladies side...) Previous owner converted that the main bath to have the jacuzzi and the laundry.

And yep... going to redo the toilet, vanity etc. while we're at it. This summer is the expected time frame. Maybe.

Got an Amish donut this morning before the target run. Things were back to pre holiday quiet levels at 8 am. Bought some green and red M&Ms for the wife since they were on post-holiday special.

I've been told that this is the best place to ask the following question: For Hand Laying Track, what have you used for track bed? I have used Homasote but find the material grows and shrinks with humidity levels. Is

When I started hand laying track I tried the homasote but found it difficult to find and like you found it’s not a stable surface. I found I needed to seal it that you can try. I tried soft pine which I found is not that soft and bent more then a few spikes. I now use basswood that I get from real lumber yards not the big box stores. Not all yards have it but had found a couple. I did not bevel the edges and it decently curved, accepted spikes well.

Track work on the current layout though is Central Valley Model works tie strips with PC ties soldered in to hold the gauge. This is done on cork and straight on the foam insulation board. I don’t use spikes but use a barge/MEK mix to glue the rail to the ties. IMHO so much easier and quicker then spiking those tie plates. Good luck

TomO

Good morning from So Central Wisconsin where last night during the Packer game we received a touch more then an inch of the white stuff. Took the recycling bin and garbage bin out to the road this morning and it’s not a powder mix but it’s not real wet either, but no matter by noon per local ordinance it has to come off the sidewalks.

I watched the Packers last night with Terry from start to finish, a rarity In recent years. I thought the Titans would put up a bigger battle but the snow must have messed with the game plan.

Accomplished nothing at the hobby bench yesterday, had good intentions but...

Have a great safe day
TomO

Good morning,

Christmas vacation is over! Super quiet at the workplace, most people must have the day off.

Boris : thanks for sharing your static grass experience

Tom (Cambria) - I love the USPS graphic. Funny when they can find us right away.

I worked at the model desk a bunch, got the crew cars done:

crew 3.jpg

And here is my new MOW vehicle

cover.jpg

Packages from projects

Part way through the truck:

truck parts.jpg

truck 7.jpg

The castings were nice and clean, however pretty much impossible to assemble as the manufacturer suggested. Still, I think it is a cool looking truck!

More later, Dave

Good Morning all. Well they are predicting mid 70's short back to shorts a T-shirt, at least for a day or two.
This needs to be a coffee and run visit as today is errand day.
I did manage to place some buildings for a look see. It's not bad, but I might still re=arrange a little.
New 12-28-20 A.jpg
New 12-28-20 B.jpg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Tom: I like the way you weathered the trucks and wheel-sets on your hopper. What method did you use?

Thanks.

Greg
I used a few different steps. I wanted that light rust ,but mostly that grimy dirt look. I first spray the trucks with grimy black or flat black to get rid of the shine. Then I airbrush mud on the trucks to highlight the trucks.Then I started by mixing burnt umber and burnt sienna to get a dark rust color for the wheels. Last I brush in a little delta dirt to give it that rough grim look. Last a shot of dull coat to seal everything. Here's a closeup of the trucks.

Attachments

• IMG_3837.jpg
    IMG_3837.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3836.jpg
    IMG_3836.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3839.jpg
    IMG_3839.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 116
Status
Not open for further replies.