Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Monday All. Got the addition finished yesterday. Just a little bit of warpage on one wall, but not enough to be noticeable. I was a bit surprised. The cure for next time will be heavier weights and bottom side down, probably overnight. two shots here, one showing the addition, the other showing how it will fit on the main building. I've just set it in place here, it isn't glued down. I still have to make the support frame the addition sits on.
IMG_3003.JPG
Addition test fit.JPG

Ok after playing catch up:

Willie: Have a safe and fun trip.

Jerome: I haven't seen Unsinger sausage in over 40 years. When I was a kid, dad worked for a company that made display equipment for manufacturers like Unsinger, Norcross Greeting cards, Hushpuppies and Buster Brown shoes. Our dressers as kids were returned display units that were destined for the trash, but with a new top fully functional. I think we finally tossed the last one when they moved back to Michigan 10 years ago.

GEFan: Nice pictures of the British rail system and surround area. Post as many of those as you like. It is interesting to see other equipment and scenes from other countries.

Not for nothing, as I see money hungry politicians in favor of legalizing weed, for potential tax and fine revenue, I think back to that incident, and wonder what they are thinking.

They think that its no more problem than alcohol and we're ok with that. Its sort of like handing a nuclear hand grenade to a toddler , does it really matter if hand him a second nuclear hand grenade ?

Good Morning All, from Gulf Shores AL. It's partly mostly cloudy and 66° here, going up to 82° later today. Back home it's 47° with nearby rain. Today is going to be just fine, possible rain for the rest of the week. Rip tide warning in effect beginning tomorrow morning. A hurricane is a possibility later in the week. We seem to always bring a hurricane to this area when we visit. Four of the last five years one has come by, although none have been too serious. We passed by a moderate amount of downed trees from the one earlier this year on our way here. During the trip through central Louisiana, we observed more than the normal amount of standing water between Alexandria and Opelousas from their hurricanes, in many cases the interstate was the only place that was above water. Lots of Louisiana is under water even during normal times!
Zeta is expected to hit west of here on Wednesday, but it should be long gone by the time we leave Friday morning. We will play it by ear in between. It's very interesting that our condo which is eight stories high is undamaged by the earlier hurricane this year, while the two high rise condos on either side of us are shut down with moderate damage. That seems to be the trend all along this road.

Sunny side up eggs and a pile of sausage patties for me this morning Flo.

Yesterday we visited the Mississippi Coast Model Railroad Museum. It was a slight disappointment from past visits. They have already moved some displays to their new addition in a building across the road, but it wasn't open. The gentleman that we spoke to indicated that there were not enough members volunteering to enable them to open yet. Matter of fact, he was the only member there at the time. There were five paid teen employees there doing whatever they do, gift shop, concession stand etc. I took some pictures. It is quite a chore to load them onto the wife's laptop and then retrieve them, so I'll have to wait until I get home. That picture that I posted Saturday took almost 30 minutes. Some of that is because I am just not as adept on this machine as I am on the desktop.

Garry - Get well soon.
Karl - That is really outrageous for wiper blades. Yes, you're dating yourself, but I have to admit that I have already joined you.

Thanks for all of the well wishes for our trip. Rain won't be a real bother, but the hurricane throws some uncertainty into all of the plans. The rain does reduce the girl watching time. Since I started this post, a heavy fog rolled in, it generally burns off by mid-morning.

Everybody have a great day.

Morning. 27°F right now, and headed somewhere above freezing. I'm hoping the little bit of snow we have will disappear. Oddly, down south has far and away more snow than we have right now. - That will change, though.

Just didn't feel like modeling much yesterday. The sun was shining, so I got some rays as I lay prone on the couch. All I did at the model-bench was scribe entry-door crease lines into the DPM kit. Didn't even do that great a job of it, so I thought I'd better step away until I felt like modeling.
I intend for this DPM structure to become a cafe, and will put points of interest and lighting into the lower floor of this kit, as well:
Scribe_10-25-2020.jpg

Alan - The structure you are making is looking very fine. Well done!

Patrick - Nice job! Don't worry about the semi-gloss, just splash on a dull cote clear.

Boris - Your work on the staging area looks very scientific, with the track spacers and perfect drawings to guide you. It certainly is impressive, and the photo is an excellent 'how-to' image.

Tom - I like the weathering on the hoppers, and I'm sure that when you blend them, it will look outstanding. I have pounds worth of the weathering powders from an ordering mistake I made years ago. All colors. - I've used little bits on aircraft models; that's all. I did learn that less is better, when applying them.

Troy - The scenery building work on the layout is very impressive. It's really coming along!

Willie - I pray the hurricane don't mess with you. I would have thought most people would be driving in the opposite direction, if there was a hurricane approaching. - We don't have hurricanes; never seen one and never been affected by one. We get camouflaged by a carpet of snow, and hurricanes can't find us.

I probably won't be coming in for a-bit. The wife is off work for 4 days, and wants to do some things only a women would like to do. So, I will have to be a good husband, and put up with it.

See you all later!

Hmmm .. doggies, and good day rail workers!
It stayed cloudy all day yesterday and at one time for about a half hour we actually had a misty drizzle - not even enough to call a drizzle!
Cool enough this morning that I needed to crank up the heater just to take the chill off the house and it is 53* this morning with a 67* high in the forecast with mostly cloudy and breezy.

Hey, FLO, please ask MEL to fire up the grill and make me one of his famous garbage omelets with a bowl of salsa on the side - whole wheat toast and OJ ... thanks.

The neighbor and I did not make it to finish the ramp we were building. Each of us was pretty sore and with the weather we decided that we would rest and try to repair our bods!

Alan and Patrick ... Your buildings both look very good. Alan, I like the window and door on the second floor- looks good with the open window. Patrick, very nice colors you have on the tower. Reminds me of the depot back where I grew up.

TomO - Nice work on the trees!

I have never been so sick and tired of the mailbox being stuffed full of political, real estate, and medical advertisements as I am now. I wish someone would place a trash barrel right there soes I wouldn't have to lug it all home!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Good morning from my crispy portion of Wisconsin. Frost is all over the place.

The grandkids are here for Monday online learning school day. The grandson is who I work with and for recess he wants to race the slot cars. I have no issue with that. School starts at 10 on Monday’s so he just finished a math game on his school IPad. Instead of reading to me the “I am going to be 7 in a month” decided to read to his grandmother. The granddaughter is doing math problems on her school iPad next to me.

The school district has parent teacher meetings online Thursday and Friday this week. They want to move the grandson to a different math class, he is 1st grade but they think he needs to be in 3rd grade math. My wife the former educator and administrator and daughter says he should, the hubby says no way. No one in either family has super math skills, good yes but not like him.

Enjoy your day
TomO

Where do they go to die? Or is that just another game to play in the spring? Hide and seek?

Usually the mice seek water, but if they are unsuccessful in their search for a source of water they simple find a place to die. The aroma of their decomposition is the key of your success and aids in finding the critters. Many times the carcesses are on the living room floor and are easy to spot for disposal.

If we're lucky they find a way outside and die hidden in some pine needles.

During the winter we check the cabin and go on mouse patrol.

The strangest creatures last fall were salamanders who crawl in at night on the living room floor. They are slow and easy to capture and I release them back outside. The record is seven salamanders in a season. I can't find where they are coming into the cabin. Svereal I been told are endangered species.

It's been a couple of wet years and just last week alone we had 5.5 inches of rain. So the environment favors the salamanders' habitat.

Good Morning Everyone.....overcast and cold with a light snowfall on the roofs and grass over night.

The chimney cleaner is coming between 10 and 11 AM. Chimney cleaners are difficult to find since so many fireplace owners use the chimney cleaning logs. I don't think those cleaning logs are as effective as a good brushing job of the chimney's interior surfaces. We had burned pine logs, usually a no/no, but the logs have dried since 2001 so creosote from burning the pine logs isn't a concern. Usually, we burn oak or maple that's been seasoned.

Speaking of legal use of Marijuana, my opinion is NO. While legal Marijuana may put many drug dealers out of business, legal Marijuana can lead weed users to harder drugs. The drug problem in Milwaukee, like other cities is growing well beyond control. I dropped Cathy off at the Milwaukee Country Court House in downtown Milwaukee several years ago at 8:00 AM and then drove around downtown Milwaukee. Right on the edge of the"Developed" area of the city and close to the "Hood" each street corner had its own gang and I watched several drug deals going down in plain sigth while waiting for the traffic light to change.

As a child of the 60's era I tried the weed several times, but preferred drinking legal beer at 18 in Wisconsin.

Did you notice the RAPIDO ad on the inside cover of Model Railroader? Nice looking SW1200 locomotives that are due in winter of 2021. I have a SOO loco on order and look forward to its arrival along with a Canadian National H16-44 that's also on order from RAPIDO. I'm been impressed by the RAPIDO quality ever since I purchased a RAPIDO RDC.

Alan: A great looking wooden structure! What style of roofing do you plan on adding to the building? There's a few small towns in Wisconsin that I know of with buildings well over 100 years old and in need of repair or paint that would make great modeling subjects.

1603727012520.png

A old school house in Eureka, Wisconsin and there's a large "Mill or Warehouse" that would make for great modeling.

Willie: Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Patrick: Shopping at Usingers on Old World Third Street in Milwaukee is like walking back in time to the 1800's. Many of the buildings that surround Usingers have retained their original early German heritage. I know Allan could likely attest to Maders Restaurant and the other buildings' that have that old world character and charm. The Downtown area of Milwaukee is a well kept secret and offers a lot in the way of Urban Development, restaurants, night clubs and the Deer District. home of the Milwaukee Bucks and other venues.

1603727329396.png

Shoppers in Usingers' retail outlet. A small but, friendly staff and a great section of German sausages and cheeses.

It's funny being of third generation of German Heritage only my Mother's parents maintained German traditions and culture. They spoke German, cooked many German dishes and my Grandfather drank only straight Brandy and tap beer. Their basement had a fully operational bar with a hand carved back bar with tap beer. It came out of an old tavern during Prohibition. My Mother sold the bar with the house and to this day I think that bar was worth more than the beautiful home.

As you can tell not much in the Model Railroading theme, but maybe later..................

Chet: Need any help shoveling snow...? Early winter or normal for Montana?

Later Forum Friends....

Greg

#################

Alan: A great looking wooden structure! What style of roofing do you plan on adding to the building? There's a few small towns in Wisconsin that I know of with buildings well over 100 years old and in need of repair or paint that would make great modeling subjects.

View attachment 120004
A old school house in Eureka, Wisconsin and there's a large "Mill or Warehouse" that would make for great modeling.

There are several roof types in this kit. The main building and addition, which is what you've seen so far, will get ribbed metal roofing. Other structures will get shingles, and overhangs will get tarpaper/corrugated metal combinations. It's been an interesting build so far. Intricate work but it's going to pay off when its all done! I have another kit by this manufacturer which is a junkyard with a barn and I'll be using local (to me) Wisconsin barns for color and weathering references.

Afternoon All.

Today I started with some chores then finished the upper right side scenery :D. After that I added 2 more pieces of flex track on the lower level and attached feeders to the main buss and tested the connection. Although the curve looks sharp where it goes around the closest point to the edge is a 28" radius same as the left side. I will probably have to add spacers for the fascia but that's no problem. I cleaned up the rail from the bridge to the new track and vacuumed the loose scenery material on the track. Tomorrow I'll do the 2-8-8-2 test then start on the descending incline from the back of the layout to the private coal trestle (AMB kit). MOH doesn't like this idea, but in this case I'm over ruling her.

Thank you to everyone that liked my progress pictures yesterday.

Patrick- Nice tower.

Tom- Nice job on the hopper.

Joe- Interesting layout plan. Nice Conrail and Reading pictures.

Alan- Nice job.

Rich- I can't take credit for making them. I purchased them from Cripplebush Valley Models (Rubber Rocks). They're made of some sort of vinyl/rubber material that can be cut and trimmed and I attach with a hot glue gun (and have the burns to prove it). Although they aren't cheap I think they look much better than the plaster rocks I have made in the past.

Greg- Condolences on your friends loss.

Sherrel and Karl- Thank you.

Troy- The deep ravine looks interesting. Are the foam strips homemade or from WS?

20201026_145238.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning Everyone.....overcast and cold with a light snowfall on the roofs and grass over night.

The chimney cleaner is coming between 10 and 11 AM. Chimney cleaners are difficult to find since so many fireplace owners use the chimney cleaning logs. I don't think those cleaning logs are as effective as a good brushing job of the chimney's interior surfaces. We had burned pine logs, usually a no/no, but the logs have dried since 2001 so creosote from burning the pine logs isn't a concern. Usually, we burn oak or maple that's been seasoned.

Speaking of legal use of Marijuana, my opinion is NO. While legal Marijuana may put many drug dealers out of business, legal Marijuana can lead weed users to harder drugs. The drug problem in Milwaukee, like other cities is growing well beyond control. I dropped Cathy off at the Milwaukee Country Court House in downtown Milwaukee several years ago at 8:00 AM and then drove around downtown Milwaukee. Right on the edge of the"Developed" area of the city and close to the "Hood" each street corner had its own gang and I watched several drug deals going down in plain sigth while waiting for the traffic light to change.

As a child of the 60's era I tried the weed several times, but preferred drinking legal beer at 18 in Wisconsin.

Did you notice the RAPIDO ad on the inside cover of Model Railroader? Nice looking SW1200 locomotives that are due in winter of 2021. I have a SOO loco on order and look forward to its arrival along with a Canadian National H16-44 that's also on order from RAPIDO. I'm been impressed by the RAPIDO quality ever since I purchased a RAPIDO RDC.

View attachment 120004

Willie: Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Patrick: Shopping at Usingers on Old World Third Street in Milwaukee is like walking back in time to the 1800's. Many of the buildings that surround Usingers have retained their original early German heritage. I know Allan could likely attest to Maders Restaurant and the other buildings' that have that old world character and charm. The Downtown area of Milwaukee is a well kept secret and offers a lot in the way of Urban Development, restaurants, night clubs and the Deer District. home of the Milwaukee Bucks and other venues.

View attachment 120005
Shoppers in Usingers' retail outlet. A small but, friendly staff and a great section of German sausages and cheeses.

It's funny being of third generation of German Heritage only my Mother's parents maintained German traditions and culture. They spoke German, cooked many German dishes and my Grandfather drank only straight Brandy and tap beer. Their basement had a fully operational bar with a hand carved back bar with tap beer. It came out of an old tavern during Prohibition. My Mother sold the bar with the house and to this day I think that bar was worth more than the beautiful home.

As you can tell not much in the Model Railroading theme, but maybe later..................

Chet: Need any help shoveling snow...? Early winter or normal for Montana?

Later Forum Friends....

Greg

#################
Greg- love hearing the story of your heritage, as the wife & I are both 5th generation German heritage. My maternal side came from the Stuttgart area. Her paternal side came from the Seelow Heights area east of Berlin. She’s 6th generation on her maternal side(not sure of the locale of her maternal roots).

Troy- The deep ravine looks interesting. Are the foam strips homemade or from WS?
A little of both. WS riser - the taller section is the downslope of the 3% grade, but I took out a layer of the double thickness 1-inch foam boards it rests on to drop the final leg even lower. The lower part you see in the photo is a 2% starter incline to drop the final inch.

Around that (to camera left) is stacked foam blocks, and the facings, and mountain behind the tunnel is stacked foam. I'm enhancing almost all of the taller WS foams with stacked foam to change the contours of the facings.

Here's an aerial view of the area.
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 4.16.45 PM.png

Good Afternoon Everyone. Clear and 81° on the beach. Not a lot of folks here. I don't know whether it has to do with the China Virus or the fact that it appears that over half of the high rise condos are shut down due to damage from the last hurricane. It looks like almost all of the beach houses on the west end of the island are occupied, but the end of the beach we are on is wall to wall condos.
Went grocery shopping this morning. Mask compliance here in Alabama is 100% in public places from what I can see. That's quite comforting to observe.
Wife is calling, so I'll leave you now.
See everybody later.

Afternoon,
Troy- I normally use more airbrush paint then the powers. This time I did the opposite but need to blend more with the airbrush.
McLeod- A lot of the older hoppers have gone to hauling phosphate so the get pretty weathered and rusty. I believe it's their last duty before the scrap yard.
Thanks for all the likes on the Hopper car. As I look at all the cars that need weathering and add weathering with the powders,this could be a full time job. If it only paid. Well if things go to hell in a handbag again I'm never out of things to do. It's like Unpainted Arizona from the movie Raising Arizona.
Just a reminder.

Evening folks!

Been a busy weekend and day today. I took today off to run some errands and to do my very rightful civic duty to vote early! Yup I voted and feel good about doing it today. I didn't want to worry about doing it next week. I was worrying about the longer lines and stress that is attributed to it. Wanted to avoid any possible unruly folks or civil unrest etc.

Saturday I tagged out on a another critter got me a slick head. (Doe if ya'll don't know what that means.) She is hanging a bit and will be carved up later this week. Got 3 more to go. Then I am done for the deer season. Hope to get 2 more does and a buck just for meat. Not looking for trophy buck as most of the hunters do. I could care less. I just want meat.

Yesterday I winterized my tractors. Worked a few things prepping the furnace for the house. Test fired it and I have it running today just because of the cold rain it's 46 right now outside. I typically keep my house temp around or between 58 & 62 degrees. When I burn wood I manage an average of 68 to 70 degrees. I don't like my house all too warm and toasty. I find that I am best at @ 60. If I know I have company coming over I will bump it up to 72. It's just me and my 2 wildcats anyhow lol.

Anyways it's been drizzling rain all day off and on. Got few other things done besides voting. Start cleaning and clearing up some stuff in the garage and getting it ready for winter shop mode so I may begin work on my bench work in the train room. I plan to start that very soon. I will post on my JRs UPRR thread on what's going on there. I did a little train running and testing. See ya over there for the updates.

Good evening. 61° cloudy and light rain. Today, was miserable and dark. It's been a busy day, and now I'm tired and grumpy.

B&O RDC on Thomas Viaduct (MD) date & photographer unknown.jpg

RDC train Westbound on Thomas Viaduct in Relay, MD Date & Photographer unknown.
OBSS Southbound in 1986.jpg

Westbound "Orange Blossom Special", at the same Thomas Viaduct in place in 1986.

I can't take credit for making them. I purchased them from Cripplebush Valley Models (Rubber Rocks). They're made of some sort of vinyl/rubber material that can be cut and trimmed and I attach with a hot glue gun (and have the burns to prove it). Although they aren't cheap I think they look much better than the plaster rocks I have made in the past.

Curt,
Thanks for that. I have a box (well several boxes!) of things waiting to be shipped from the US to this side of the pond at the moment, so I'll go check those out! Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back