SD40-2s, BLI vs Kato

Smoke~

Hey I was looking through some of my old copies of Diesel Era on the SD70s and came accross a photo of a High Nose GP30 (in a string of GP38-2s) in the Southern scheme...have you ever seen this before???? It was pretty cool. In fact I actually never seen a pic of a High Nose GP30 before. Purty cool!

ISSUE #5 SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER : VOLUME 16 - YEAR 2005
EMD's SW7 - Part 3
Motive Power of the Lake Superior & Ishpeming
Southern's GP38-2 Fleet - Part 1
Western Pacific SW1500s
EMD SD70M-2 Walk Around

Here is one of my favorite N&W unit consist.
A HH GP30 and 2 GP38s.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=97418&nseq=7

Another favorite N&W unit consist is the HH GP30 and 2 GP9s.

thats sweet.....I need to back check on UP roster but I dont think UP had any High Noses in the GP30 maybe in the Bunit or the likes but not likely a cab unit...hmmm....I will be back after my search.....

Last edited by a moderator:
thats sweet.....I need to back check on UP roster but I dont UP had any High Noses in the GP30 maybe in the Bunit or the likes but not likely a cab unit...hmmm....I will be back after my search.....
I probable haven't seen that photo but I have seen a HH Gp30 before. In fact I will have one if I ever get my kit bashing done.:rolleyes:

-Smoke

Well unfortunately Union Pacific never had any high nose GP30s....oh well they are cool looking.

yeah I know about that but as I discussed with Don Strack about cab units for GP30 they didnt have it. B units was a given for me which I knew before my search...thanks any how.

yeah I know about that but as I discussed with Don Strack about cab units for GP30 they didnt have it. B units was a given for me which I knew before my search...thanks any how.
Kind of figured you knew that, but I felt like pointing out anyways.

Okay was it just me, or was anyone else really put off by the horn on the BLI SD40-2? That thing drives me nuts! I've heard way better...I wonder if you can change it?

Are you referring to their Blue Line model, where the prime mover goes silent while the horn sound is playing?

Yeah, and it's a terrible horn sound anyways! I think I'll just get a Kato and put in a sound system I like...then I can get one with a Nathan M-3 as per usual DT&I/GT practice :)

Okay...so irony here...Today was my BDay and guess what I got? A Kato SD40-2...the newer version with room for a speaker in the fuel tank. So now my question becomes...does anyone suggest a particular sound unit? I've been looking at the MRC Brilliance Decoders...thoughts? Keep in mind I want a particular horn...either a Nathan M3, M5, or Leslie S5 variation...

Right now, your main choices are Loksound and the older Soundtraxx models. Of course, most folks are whining about when Soundtraxx will release the Diesel Tsunami, which, if it's anything like the Steam Tsunami, will be way better. But, that model is still vaporware, though I've heard from one of the dealers I buy from that they're making progress.

I'd stay away from the MRC; the main problem is that they don't support CV readback, which, to some of us, helps us tweak the decoder while programming.

Kennedy

Loksound is pretty good, make sure the included speaker will fit in your fuel tank hole. Also, expect it to pick up every piece of metallic trash out there on the layout.

I still like the horn on the BLI SD40-2, its better than making the horn noise myself.

Ken.

Back