Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
AHH TOOT! I found the second link to be of much more interest than the first one.

FLO - I'll just have another cuppa for the moment -- I'm waiting to see if TRoy comes thru!
If he fails - then I'll decide how I go?

Morning Engineers!
56 degrees (since I cannot make the "degree" symbol) going up to 82 degrees today with a clear sky.
We had three 78 degree days in a row and we will be back into the mid 90's on Tuesday.
Enough of that!

Good morning ......... Coffee and a donut, please.

Chet .... Those are great photos of the NP switchers on your layout.

Alan .... I enjoyed your videos.

Dave..... Good seeing your layout progress and the highway photo.

Troy ... It is also good to see your progress.

Willie.... The DPM garage kit looks like it will be fun to assemble.

Chad ... Interesting train. The cars look like fish aquariums.

Joe ..... Looking at the picture of the Amtrak E60, I am again reminded they never did have an electric that looks as good as the GG1's did.

Mike .... Cool pictures at Home Depot.

Everybody ..... Have a good day.

Some Hobbytown PA1's I painted several years ago:

35721342606_9ef0c654a4_b.jpg

What they are supposed to look like:

36679371021_1f812983e7_m.jpg

Alan: Cool videos. I hate it when the magic smoke is let out of the decoders. Especially on complicated hard wired installations.
I'll have to take a look. I don't remember which decoder is in there, but it's a non sound unit, so not too many wires to deal with. I stopped putting sound in steamers in all but a very few cases a couple years ago. If I'm really lucky, this will have a JST plug and if there's no damage to the harness, it'll be a plug & play repair.

Last edited:
Morning, everyone. - What a dark, dreary, cool day it is. Cold rain and the wind is acting up; I'm fairly certain my new snowblower will be getting tryouts soon! I don't like snowblowers, as they don't get it all; but, if the snow is heavy, they make the difference. The shovel, preferably in someone else's hands, is the only real way to get everything, so one don't wind up with a skating rink.

Chet - Always great photographs of you're very fine layout. I'm always impressed when you have posted something.
Willie - Thought about picking up Shultz's myself. Thinking I have enough brick buildings for a smaller layout, though. So I decided against it. It is a fine looking building.

I used Tremclad 'Oil Based Technology' white primer on the walls of my hardware store. Did that yesterday, and come the morning, it still wasn't dry. I suspect it will take 2-3 days to set. I won't be using that crap twice.

The hardware will be lighted with the WS Just Plug system, and I thought it would be nice to have some type of exterior lighting, at least at the main entrance. So, I thought I might build a pot-light into the ceiling of the depressed entrance-way.
With that in mind, I took my trusty punch set, and made a simple styrene ring as a pot-light trim. The idea is to punch out the triangular ceiling piece, and hope the ambient light from a single interior 'Just Plug" LED will shine down through that hole and be noticeable from the outside. - Not sure if it will work, but, I'm going to try:
PotLight_10-10-2020.jpg

This building will have an interior along with some figures, so I painted the interior of the walls white. That was my motivation for using the crappy white primer. Thought I could save myself a step.

Dave - I like the trestle riser system. Well done!
Alan - The videos were entertaining. Short and sweet; the way I like them. It appears the club has a very fine layout.
Chad - The Glacier is a very fine looking train. Definitely a tourism attractor.
Troy - Really coming right along on the layout. The grade looks very steep in the photo, but, I suppose you know how to do it. I've never done it, so, I just don't know.

Time to make a move! Have a good one!

Good Morning Gents
I'll have some bisquits and gravy with 2 eggs on top, coffee. Daughter & her 2 kids coming for the day so I will be BBQing some baby back ribs over some red oak after the mowing.
Sherrel The trips over 89 by Emerald Bay were not too bad, one just has to wait for a break in traffic to make the 5 hairpins. But, last Wed & Thurs they were shooting a commercial of a sports car at the very top, 5 min. delays that backed traffic up, and 6 CHPs. While waiting near the front of the line, a commercial cop pulled in front of me and wanted to know my KPRA distance and overall length. He got his tape out and I was 65'-9". 9" over. He said, thats not too bad, be careful!
Willie Have you built the Middlesex kit yet? Your comments on it would be appreciated.
PS When I tried the degree thing, it closed my webpage. Calif. thing I guess.......

Troy - Really coming right along on the layout. The grade looks very steep in the photo, but, I suppose you know how to do it. I've never done it, so, I just don't know.

Time to make a move! Have a good one!

The back wall grade is 3%. The closer one is 2%. I screwed up one section and just added 2 ft of a 4% grade to make it level out and not have to pull foam out (again). The woodland Scenics risers work well (so far, I don't have track down yet).

PS Wife said I could bring more donuts next week, but you need to eat them when I bring them. ;)

Good afternoon gang!
Currently it is 69° here in central Absurdistan. Not like you care, I'm just showing off for Sherril !!!! 😆 😆 :D 😆 :D ;)
Been AWOL since Thursday, Between work and other duties, looks like I missed out on lots of good pics, and even some videos. I did scan through them, excellent work to one and all!

For Sherril and anyone else , I think Sherril's problem is that you have to press and hold the ALT key with one hand, and type 0176 with the other on the number side of the keyboard. Just pressing ALT and typing 0176 gets you nowhere but
it works for me!!
If you want more symbols.....

To type this symbolPress this on your keyboardDescription
Alt+0153Trademark
©Alt+0169Copyright
®Alt+0174Registered
Alt+0137Per mille (per thousand)
±Alt+241Plus or Minus
¼Alt+0188Quarter
½Alt+0189Half
¾Alt+0190Three quarters
Alt+240Exactly Identical
Alt+247Approximately equal
Alt+242Greater than or equal
Alt+243Less than or equal
Alt+251Square Root
Alt+252Power n
¹Alt+0185To the power of 1
²Alt+0178Squared
³Alt+0179Cubed
πAlt+227Pi
°Alt+248Degree
Alt+2368Infinity
µAlt+230Micro
ΣAlt+228Sum
Alt+1White Smiley
Alt+2Black Smiley
Alt+7Bullet 1
Alt+9Bullet 2
Alt+11Male Sign
Alt+12Female Sign
Alt+23Up/Down Arrow
Alt+24Up Arrow
Alt+25Down Arrow
Alt+26Right Arrow
Alt+27Left Arrow
Alt+29Right/Left Arrow
£Alt+156Pound
Alt+0128Euro
$Alt+36Dollar Sign
¢Alt+155Cent
¥Alt+157Yen
ƒAlt+159Frank
Alt+158Peseta
αAlt+224Alpha
ßAlt+225Beta
δAlt+235Delta
ΩAlt+234Omega
Alt+16Point Right
Alt+17Point Left
Alt+254Stop
Alt+30Point Up
Alt+31Point Down
§Alt+21Section
Alt+20Paragraph
Alt+0147curly double open quote
Alt+0148curly double close quote
«Alt+174Quotation Mark
»Alt+175Quotation Mark
Alt+3Heart
ºAlt+0176Degree symbol
œAlt+0156Latin small ligature oe
Alt+0149Bullet
Alt+8635Clockwise Open Circle Arrow
Alt+8634Counterclockwise Open Circle Arrow
ØAlt+0216Diameter
ÑAlt+0209Enye

There are others, such as umlaüts, google is your friend here.

Gotta get ready for Ken's visit,

L8ter

Fire in Pendleton, IN on evening of October 9.

Not sure if this is correct, but reportedly a tractor trailer was stalled on the track. Truck driver was able to get safely out of his cab before the impact. He did not call the emergency number on the crossbuck. Train hit truck dragging tractor 200 years yards. Train conductor treated for minor injury at the scene.

121164030_642659673114223_6814289090419997633_o.jpg

GUYS, I cannot help it that Terry sold me a "cripple" computer. It does not have a number pad on the keyboard - just numbers and symbols on the top row! BUT, it is a lightweight, compact, and a very nice small laptop and I like it a lot. I guess it is akin to a cheap DCC controller without all the bells and whistles, but as I do not do DCC ... I am guessing here?

When I have more down time - I will try out some of Terry's suggestions ... thanks, Terry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back