Repairing AHM Alco

boatwrench

My grandson ran a locomotive into the turn to fast and it fell to the floor. His dad brought it to me for repair....It is an AHM Alco locomotive US ARMY from 30 -35yo set my SIL had as a boy.

The front truck came off the chassis/frame. I removed the hood from the frame. The front truck has molded on clips that ride on a pad on each side of the frame opening. The clips are not depressible to insert the truck. I tried to slide it into the opening from different angles to no avail. Does the truck need to be disassembled to place in the opening? There are not any screws holding the truck together and I can't see any tabs either. Thanks in advanced.

If it's one of the unpowered trucks, I think you can turn it close to 90 degrees, put it in, then turn it back straight. My memory of this process is nearly 40 years old, so look carefully at the engine so you don't tear it up further.

The ones I have, you have to remove the top clip . Its difficult without knowing exactly which AHM loco we are talking about , 6 axle 4 axle ect.

The ones I have, you have to remove the top clip . Its difficult without knowing exactly which AHM loco we are talking about , 6 axle 4 axle ect.

Thank you for pointing me in the correct direction. After studying the rear truck while wearing an optivisor I saw the clip that held the rear truck. Then I started looking around for the front clip. duh. There it was. Locomotive back together and running. Next will be repairing the front handrails.
clip.jpg

Back