Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all...

Got 800+ words typed on book 6. It has officially begun.

To celebrate, stopped by the Amish Bakery. Don't tell Mel. Caramel and chocolate!
donut.jpg

Going to be a high of 80° (on a Mac, Opt/Shift 8 to get the ° ) so a nice day.

Did more sky painting yesterday, and got in touch with HO-Jim to secure some trees from him. After reading about 2/3rds through his Pinnacle Creek thread, I'll be honoured to have some of his craftsmanship on my layout!

To be honest, there are a lot of inspirational layouts featured here. Jim's stands out - not only because he'd tear them apart as soon as he finished, but also because he used each to teach methods of scenery making for storytelling.

Help yourself to the donuts... Not sure what my wife has added to my honey-do list today, but I'm trying to get another donut in before I have to tackle the list.

Good morning y'all.59° and foggy, as we warm up today. Looking at some "Post Tropical" rain come Monday.
I keep the Windows Character Map icon in my task bar for quick access. Many of the old key stroke combinations no longer work.

Curt: Good progress.

Ken: Happy you are feeling better.

Thanks to everyone who liked or commented on the photos I posted. The Reading F color schemes were quite attractive, considering the car body was black, with a green stripe and dulux lettering and accents. It helped that unlike its neighbor, the Reading washed their engines regularly. The Reading was one of the few roads that purged their F fleet early, trading up to GP30s and GP 35s. Only a few FP7s lasted through to Conrail.

Jerry: Interesting Oregon Desert photos.

Lee: That's amazing how the circus wagon comes together. cool.

Chad: Cool.

NH Jet in Queens.jpg

Jet pulling passenger train through Queens, back in the day. When did Standard Oil stop using ESSO as a brand? That would date the photo.

Jet near Oak Point.jpg

Jet leading Passenger train past Oak Point Yard, (Queens). Check out the vehicles.

Nope, ALT 248 or 1078 don't work for me, either. All it does is throw me into another page and loose my post; so I'm forced to retype. It's an evil trick!

Morning everyone! 5 degrees warmer than yesterday; supposed to reach a high of a whopping 50F. I suppose this years summer has entered into it's final desperate death throws, before the snow covers everything up.

Jerry - Very cool ruins. Look at that terrain they built in, though. No wonder the pioneers suffered; there's nothing out there!
Lee - The Circus wagon projects are wonderful. Well done!
Curt - Progress on the layout is looking really good. Looks very close to the edge, but, I suspect you are expert and know what you are doing. - Me, not so much.
Willie - I managed 3x DPM kits for $114.00cdn, s/h included. That's a bargain where I come from. I thought they might be original in style, but, you are right. They are the same kits, just renamed. That's ok! - I really do appreciate the effort you put into sharing you're layout with photos. Wonderful!

I did begin an HO structure kit yesterday, but, I don't feel like I made a whole lot of progress.

The 5 piece window frame was laid over the supplied 'glass' on wax paper, and glued into a one piece. More convenient to paint that way:
Hardware1.jpg

Hardware2.jpg

Three walls were glued together, along with the brick chimney in the rear.
Hardware3.jpg

Now, I can prime paint everything today, and then let it set overnight.
It takes me a long time to build anything, due to the set process that I've worked with all these years. I try to discipline myself not to rush things.
That process goes: Wash, prime, paint, and put together. Most of it is a waiting game, while paint and glue dries.

Boris - You always post great photos. The scenery is as interesting as the trains.

I suppose that's long enough for one day! Have a good one!

Good Morning All. Foggy and 61°, humidity at 100%. Forecast high for today is 87°, tomorrow it's 97°. Still no chance for rain in the next ten days, trees are losing their leaves without turning colors because of the current drought.
Great visit yesterday from my grandsons and family. The two of them, ages 11 & 13, helped Grandpa haul and stack firewood. Then we hit the front yard with the soccer ball for a bit. They normally have to go to the nearby school to kick it around, but with an open area approximately 70' x 200' unencumbered by trees, they can kick away here like a real soccer field.

This morning calls for a BLT sandwich with a tall glass of OJ to go with it Flo. Double down on the bacon.

Thanks fellows for all of the reactions and comments regarding yesterday's pictures; Jerome, Sherrel, Chad, Phil, Greg, Curt, Garry, Tom O, Guy, Ken, Jerry, Lee, Rick.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I spent some time reading perusing the November MR. After a couple of previous interesting issues, especially those with the freight cars of the 70's articles; almost nothing caught my interest this month. Then I turned to my project area and did some minor stuff. I am lining out the fence post locations to be drilled next.
I promised a few close up shots of some of the details around the recent series of pictures that I posted, here are some.
First, a better shot of the railfans in the park.
10-09-20 010.JPG

Family checking out the produce at Tony's Market.
10-08-20 006.JPG

Tony's wife chatting with a customer.
10-08-20 008.JPG

Tony himself on the dock at the abattoir.
10-08-20 009.JPG

And finally Tony's brother restocking.
10-08-20 010.JPG

Model structure RANT
: I tend to be a bit anal about the accuracy of the models offered by model manufacturers. A case in point is the D's Diner structure from Woodland Scenics. First of all I really like the structure and it fits into the character of my layout. But observe the following.
Against the back wall (an insert), there is a door to get into the kitchen/back room.
10-09-20 004.JPG

Now note the actual space allowed.
10-09-20 006.JPG

A tad over 2 scale feet. Now look at the back of the structure.
10-09-20 005.JPG

A pair of restroom doors. Doesn't all fit in reality! Things like this and illogically placed chimneys (and too short for most codes), inappropriately placed doors and windows, and out of scale doors just really bother me. Chimneys on modern gas stations really are outrageous.
End of RANT.

Guy - What is the purpose of the broom by that switchstand?
Greg - I am sure that you are glad to be retired right now. I did not know that Mayfair was your mall until you posted it. Sad that once again, peaceful protests have turned into violent and looting rampages.
Garry -
You certainly have a large variety of buildings and structures on your layout.
I really like building and detailing structures. I have a lot of space to fill. Building structures is my second most favorite part of this hobby after switching industries.
Ken - I have to argue with my PC physician every so often about excessive tests and medications. When pressed, he does explain that there are undiscussed options. I think that the tests are sometimes just a way to refer business to their cohorts. Mine does not believe that his patients can also make lifestyle changes in lieu of additional medications. Case in point, I lost 40 pounds, switched to sugar-free soft drinks and reduced bread consumption to reduce my A1C level, which also reduced my need to take so many doses of BP medicine. A1C is now at 6.0, higher than I want, but much lower than the 10.5 of a year ago.

Today around here it's Texas-OU Day, a football game held annually during the currently cancelled State Fair. The reduced attendance at the game led to a much smaller traffic jam on IH35 nearby, but there was still one yesterday afternoon. In a normal year, much of that traffic coming in from Oklahoma is non-ticket holders who are just coming to party. Not sure of the percentage this year, but partying is out. Cannot get into the Cotton Bowl parking lot without a game ticket for everyone in the vehicle, no tailgating will be allowed and many bars are also operating at reduced capacity. Arrests for the last 30 years have been relatively minor (about 50/year), compared to the 60's when 450+ was common. See this article.
The traffic jam will be repeated tomorrow morning in reverse as the fans go back home. It's something that we get to look forward to every year and just stay home or avoid the Interstate completely.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Guy - What is the purpose of the broom by that switchstand?

Willie - I'm going to suggest that the broom is used to clear stones from the switch gearing. Photos show the gearing area to be more clear of refuse, than the surrounding track. Some of the ballast stones are quite large, in this area. I took photos of that particular switches gearing when I was out there:
Gear1.jpg

Gear2.jpg

And I don't blame you at all, for being cranky about structure manufacturer's out of scale products. The problem is the exact reason I dislike my last building so much. It is visibly whacked out of scale, compared to reasonable figures:
Scale.jpg

Thanks for the question, Willie!

My laptop does not have the number pad ...
I realized that the "plus sign" meant - in addition too!
None of the shortcut keys work on this laptop, but I can "copy/paste" the symbol from the rather long list that I have.
Any - thanks for trying to help me!

Sherrel, push and hold the "FN" key, then hit the shortcut keys.
You're welcome.

Howdy ....

I'll have coffee and a donut with maple frosting, please. Thank you, Troy.

Louis ...... Good to see you again. I'm glad your checkup was favorable overall, and I hope the new medicine works well for you.

Willie .... Does your rant qualify as nit picking in the Anti Nit Pickers League forum page ? ... LOL .... Seriously, I like your pictures today.

Guy .... Looks like a good start with your building.

Sherrel .... Nice photo of the Frisco SD45 in Denver. Frisco was merged into BN a year after the picture was taken. So. I guess both the Friusco unit and the NW unit are on a run through train on the BN because the picture was taken in Denver.

Boris ... I like the pictures. Both scenes have a lot of dirt a grime on everything.

Chad .... Interesting Japanese train.

Lee..... Another circus wagon. ..... Nice work.

Everybody .... Have a good day.

Last edited:
Good morning from the Central time zone, my part of Wisconsin like yesterday will be a nice weather day.

Donuts, absolutely love donuts however being a diabetic they are a rare treat, but those so look sooooo good!

A1C is at 8 up from 6.1 a year ago. My doctor says it’s from less exercise due to not going to the fitness center daily, change of other meds and stress from the Pandemic. I was able to reduce the BP that I am on because “you r a diabetic”. Boy I hate when the doctors say that. But she is a believer in exercise and holoistic methods to reduce the use of meds. The previous guy after our move from Central Wisconsin to here believed in let’s up the dosage or change to the new wonder drug. This doctor She claims by next year I will be really reduced on the meds. I want to believe her and maybe the fitness centers will become a less Covid hotspot.

I think part of my modeling malaise is I am unhappy with the north section of my a Paper Mill. Instead of ripping up the framework and starting over the spousal unit said move the mill. I have a 28’ straight wall across from this side of the mill. It is my cold storage, PDM bridge warehouse, scrap yard, the removed ethanol plant and the 3 track Paper Mill yard. I can increase the depth to 30” with no tracks past 24” and still run a few trains where the Mill is now. Just thinking at this time but not paralyzed by analysts yet.

The far left Shipping building is where I will be using the Roberts Mortar that I purchased per the recommendations.

TomO

BAEAFBD3-3477-4E35-A143-91A38C44A414.jpeg

28AE44A3-EDFE-4A38-8D25-FED6CC68B412.jpeg

Afternoon All,

This morning I was outside for a couple of hours trimming hedges. Needless to say the humidity about did me in so I'm sitting on my rear end watching the Gators play. No train room time today.

Thank you for all the photo likes yesterday.

Garry- The 2 locos are: 1. A Bachmann 2-6-6-2 with Tsunami sound which I weathered and decaled for my Dad. He got it because he remembers watching the WM coal drags during WWII. I'm not a fan of the Vandy tender or the Tsunami Sound in it, but it runs well. 2. The LL Heritage Steam 2-8-8-2 came to me used (Ebay) with factory Tsunami Sound already lightly weathered and decaled for Clinchfield. On this loco the sound is awesome. I decided that since it's already weathered it will be leased motive power.

Sherrel- I hope your cousins are OK. Nice looking loco.

Chad- Very nice looking train.

Louis- Great to see you posting again and that you're doing well.

Jerry- I never realized that Oregon had scrubland like in the pictures.

Lee- Thank you. Another neat circus wagon. Are you making a scene for your layout?

TomO- I think it looks great.

Joe- Thank you. Great photos.

Guy- Thank you. It's close but should be OK:), and if it isn't I'll add some spacers before mounting the fascia. Nice job on the store.

Willie- Awesome details. We started to have looting here but the police dept. put a stop to that almost immediately. Too bad they can't seem to stop the gang violence.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back