Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, after over 500 transactions on ebay it finally got me. Against my better judgment, I messed up and purchased one of those older "new in the box" bachmann 611 j class locomotives. I knew going in to it that it would probably need a bit of love to get it going but .... have any of you ever seen anything like this "new in the box" ? That is what appears to be dried mud. The headlight doesn't even come on.View attachment 117942View attachment 117943 it looks like it died in hurricane Katrina. Well, I guess that's life (or death for this particular unit)
File a "not as described" claim with Ebay. Include the photos you posted here. Ebay will make the seller accept the return and issue a refund.

File a "not as described" claim with Ebay. Include the photos you posted here. Ebay will make the seller accept the return and issue a refund.
I'm not sure they'll do that if you already given the guy a review or if its been over X number of days ? I really think they should allow you have your own seller blacklist in My Ebay , I have never given a negative review , but there are some sellers I would not repeat buy from.

I'm not sure they'll do that if you already given the guy a review or if its been over X number of days ? I really think they should allow you have your own seller blacklist in My Ebay , I have never given a negative review , but there are some sellers I would not repeat buy from.
There are several more options to get a refund, all the way to filing with Paypal, which gives you 180 days to file.

Hey,

Thank you all so much for the replies. I just got it from the post office today and I never leave feedback until I'm positive everything is right. Like Geetee, I've never given negative feedback either. I immediately messaged the seller and his response was "are you freakin kidding me? Send pics. I never even pulled it out of the box." I sent pictures but no response. I'm going to give him until tomorrow to respond with something or I'll have to open a claim. It's really unfortunate. I've cleaned the outside of her up a bit and she's currently sitting amongst good company. With that, is there any way possible to salvage this shell? Does anyone know of a 4-8-4 chassis that may work? Is there a way to build a chassis with a newer motor? Are there any pancake motors out there (life like, etc) that may fit?

Hope y'all have a great night!
20201002_184834.jpg

Howdy

Jerry, Joe, Lee, Curt, Greg, an anybody I missed ... Thanks for the comments about my photo with the stock cars. ..... Also, thanks to all who liked it.

Gary S ..... You asked about a chassis for the N&W 4-8-4. Bowser used to make replacement chassis for Bachmann locomotives. It has been a few years since they discontinued, but you might ask them anyhow. Otherwise see if one is on eBay. Meanwhile, the locomotive could be a nice static model on a display shelf.

Howdy

Jerry, Joe, Lee, Curt, Greg, an anybody I missed ... Thanks for the comments about my photo with the stock cars. ..... Also, thanks to all who liked it.

Gary S ..... You asked about a chassis for the N&W 4-8-4. Bowser used to make replacement chassis for Bachmann locomotives. It has been a few years since they discontinued, but you might ask them anyhow. Otherwise see if one is on eBay. Meanwhile, the locomotive could be a nice static model on a display shelf.
Thank you much. I'll keep an eye out. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I should accept a partial refund and attempt to salvage it or get all my money back and just buy something better.

When things picked up around here they were giving free testing , but the results took 5 days. The virus would incubate in about 3 or 4. I couldn't see the point in standing in line for an hour with a bunch of potientially infected people , so some one could shove a telephone pole with a mattress wrapped around the end up my nose , to tell me 5 days later what I already knew.

I figured if I stood in line for an hour at the testing site , I wouldn't need a test. I'd need a hospital room . :)
This was a drive-thru test; everybody was instructed to stay in their cars with the windows rolled up to avoid any cross-infections. The pharmacy worker was behind a closed window, and handed out the sampling gear thru the mechanical drawer along with disinfectant wipes. I shoved the Q-tip up my own nose to gather the snot; it didn't seem as painful as many people have said, probably since I was controlling the process myself.

Thank you much. I'll keep an eye out. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I should accept a partial refund and attempt to salvage it or get all my money back and just buy something better.
I’ve talked to Lee English about the mechanisms, and they haven’t had any in a long time.
Based on the photos, I’d get a refund and move on. It has few redeeming qualities, and a lot of problems. First is the split axle gear that has caused the drivers to go out of quarter.

Good morning all, welcome to FRIDAY!
Love the new place! The smell of new paint, bacon & Willies, er, uhh, what ever that is, makes a person feel right at home.
Flo, a cup of deer camp coffee please, and keep it come'n..........

Great pics, & vids to start the new coffee shop.

Garry, I totally agree. I have several of these cars, I really like the detail on them, I think I've had more breakage on the roof walk grabs than on the sides. Making one's own is a good idea, I recently picked up a grab iron jig, I'll give making them a try.

I haven't really looked on this site about the subject of vandalism, tagging, graffiti, or what ever one want's to call it, also not sure how many "modern" model railroaders there are, has to be some, anyway this pic is for you.....
View attachment 117931

Even if I did model modern, I myself would have no graffiti on any of my rolling stock. I just don't care for it, no matter how prototypical it is!
Those boys certainly did put forth some effort to get'r painted!

Everybody be safe, have a great weekend!
I've had people at a show ask why I don't have graffiti on my cars. I tell them they pre graffiti, just recently painted or the painted patches are covering the graffiti. Everything has a moment in time.🙃

keN are these the restaurant type dumpster you talked about? View attachment 117940 these come from Walthers. Pack of 3 in HO for $6.00

Wow, that's exactly what I had in mind - Walthers must have just recently started carrying them! I had the Scenemaster Industrial Dumpsters set that I got from MB Klein using a $100 gift certificate my daughter gave me last Christmas, all of them are open-top. I didn't see anything like this on the MBK website last January. Thanks Tom for sharing that info! 👍

Wow, that's exactly what I had in mind - Walthers must have just recently started carrying them! I had the Scenemaster Industrial Dumpsters set that I got from MB Klein using a $100 gift certificate my daughter gave me last Christmas, all of them are open-top. I didn't see anything like this on the MBK website last January. Thanks Tom for sharing that info! 👍

keN no problem. I always look to Walthers online to get the retail price and the part number. My LHS gives a minimum 20% discount so I then know the price I need to beat. I have been noticing lately my favorite online shops, Lombard, Modeltrains&Stuff and Hiawatha aren’t showing online their complete inventories. I was shocked it’s 3 for that price.

TomO

Curt, that's similar to what I did for my 89ft TrailerTrain flatcars, except I used flat lead weights with adhesive. The problem with cars like the ones in this picture, is there is no flat surface to hide the weight under - everything is exposed.
That's when you get moldable lead weight, and shove it into the spine. I did that eons ago with a set of Con Cor N scale cars like that. The extra weight there helped a lot.

Whewwee! Someone's been dumpster diving Flo. Better put out the free PB&J sammitches for the homeless ;)

40° and overcast here in The Fort (Indiana's version) Highs in the upper 50s. I started putting away patio furniture in the garage for storage yesterday. Since this is our first year in the condo, it's going to take some time to figure out the best storage solutions.

Worked til 11p last night and got the book edited and out to the beta readers for feedback on plot and character development. After that it's off to the editor to drain the bank account this month.

Hoping I can work on the layout tonight. That will probably be assembling those two passthrough bridges. They're double-wide, but can be single wides. Wondering if I can cannibalize enough parts to get a third span by making the first two up as single-track versions. Won't be perfect since it will be using middle parts instead of outside walls, but could work in an out of the way spur line. I'll keep an "eagle-eye Rivet Counter" certificate around to give any visitors who spot its non-standard nature.

Here's some eye-candy for those of you who appreciated a good Amish donut:
Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 7.37.38 AM.png

Good Morning all 45 degrees in the Ozark Foothills. Flo. How about some warm Oatmeal and Raisin toast.

Curt. Your landscaping is looking really nice you’re moving right along

Joe. Thanks for another great pic. I like the one you post a couple days ago with the TrucTrain trailers in the background

Willie. Thursday night the moon was beautiful here also and last night as well. We sometimes call it a Harvest moon around here

Sherrel. Looks like your back to your old self

Allen. Those Engines look nice to bad to have to fight with Sleezbay to get what you want on there.

Thanks for all your complements and likes yesterday getting ready to go to the Feed Store today then come home and cut some grass in my little field.

Now this is the way I could Truck now days with all the “New” truckers on the road some drive worse that people in cars these days. Have a great day.
0B0BAEF6-5C27-41F4-A959-309E1199C7D3.jpeg

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 55° on this fine Saturday morning. Headed up to 85° this afternoon, then a cool front rolls in around midnight and the high tomorrow and Monday will only be in the upper 70's. Then it's back to mid-80's for at least another week. Very slight chance of much needed rain with that cool front tonight.
Mostly did yard work yesterday to the point that I had to take one Advil by mid-afternoon. Today starts with laundry and more yardwork.

With the heightened concerns about the pandemic, I noted that our rural county (Cooke) of about 40,000 people seems to have leveled off with the Covid-19 cases. Still holding steady around 450 cases and only 6 deaths. The county just south of me (Denton) has over 670,000 people in it, with 12319 cases and 155 deaths; also holding rather steady. Most of those cases and deaths are in the southern part of the county where it borders on Dallas. Our county has an about 1.2% infection rate, Denton County is about 1.8%. Two people that I know, but only see about once a year have gotten it, and they were both anti-maskers. I remain vigilant.

Ah! The weekend Flo. How about just a bowl of Corn Flakes today. Hate to say that I am temporarily burned out on bacon and sausage every morning.

Thanks guys for all of the likes and kind comments regarding the layout progress; Jerome, Lee, Karl, Tom O, Chad, Phil, Curt, Sherrel, Garry, Justin, Tom, Ken.

Slow, short day in the train shed yesterday. I did finish the window painting on the last two walls of the DPM structure. Then I touched up the brick and concrete paint where I went out of the lines.:( While waiting for paint to dry, I continued assembling some of the Bar Mills Insta-Fencing that will surround the diner.
10-03-20 013.JPG

I did set the plastics factory in place and added some very minor details/improvements to it. I also added that yellow lane marking stripe on the roadway.
10-03-20 001.JPG

Then I picked up the throttle and ran trains for a while. That's what they are there for, isn't it? Once I do that, all modeling is suspended until the next day.:) Started to take some action pictures of an intermodal train that I was running, when the battery on the camera died. But I did get a few before that happened.
Coming through the town of Charlottesville.
10-03-20 005.JPG

Outskirts of Charlottesville.
10-03-20 007.JPG

Heading into the outskirts of Maultown.
10-03-20 009.JPG

And a couple of shots at the other end of Maultown as it was leaving.
10-03-20 010.JPG

10-03-20 011.JPG

Jerry - While I don't like the idea of graffiti in general, I do apply some to some of my railcars as it enhances the realism. I never go overboard as shown in your picture, just a little bit here and there.
GT - I am like you, I don't see myself standing around with a bunch of possibly infected people just to get tested. Testing doesn't get you well any sooner!

Everybody have a great day.

I agree with Gomez. Run away dude! That mechanism is a piece of junk (no disrespect) underpowered, underweight, and flimsy. That design was under all of their early steamers and is why Bowser originally marketed their replacement mechanism. I owned one myself years ago and have never repeated the mistake! If you run it to any degree you'll eventually get the same problem you have with your existing model, broken driver axles. If I were going to buy a Bachmann steamer, I'd buy the current version. You can probably find one cheaper than what Amazon is selling them for if you shop around, I just grabbed this link because it was the first one I ran across. Even better would be the BLI version, but you'll have to wait for one to turn up on the secondary market or e-Bay. The current model is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-53253-4-8-4-Class-611/dp/B07W4MB44S/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&qid=1601729463&refinements=p_89:Bachmann+Trains&s=toys-and-games&sr=1-6

**EDIT** Here's one on e-bay. There is also the Spectrum version. It is better than the original but still underpowered and under weight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back