JV Models Lucas Sawmill build

I did the basic ground cover yeasterday:

Sawmillscenery1.jpg

First I finalized where the log ramp would be since this determines where the sawmill will sit. I also ran a strip of masking tape around the edge of the layout so my carpet would be protected.

Sawmillscenery2.jpg

I masked off where the ramp would touch the ground so I could find it later

Sawmillscenery3.jpg

I spread full strength white glue all over the area. Then ground cover, using Woodland scenics earth blend ground foam (I find it's a good base to add to). I soaked it down with dilluted white glue in a spray bottle. I added the gravel roads next. I used dark brown fine grade ballast for this. again I soaked it down with the dilluted white glue. Finally I added a bit of green grass ground foam around the earth blend and cinders where the steam boiler will sit. soaking that all with the dilluted white glue. I let all this dry overnight.

Sawmillscenery4.jpg

Here's the sawmill sitting in place with the gravel roads and parking lot surrounding it. I still have to add alot of detail like lumber piles and racks, storage shed, waste wood piles and other junk, vehicles and of course more people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding work.
I love to see the progress photos of someones work. It looks great on the layout. Can we see more of your layout in the "showing off" forum?

I needed a loading dock/ramp for my sawmill so I scratchbuilt one over the weekend, using basswood from the local craft store.

2008_02040016.jpg

I think the plans came from an early eighties RMC.
I prestained all the lumber and assembled the frame on a jig.

Thank you

Glen, thank you for this tutor. I found it about a year ago and I am now just starting to build my saw mill. Your tutor and techniques are very helpfull. Espically the PVC wood staining tube idea. I made one and I am using it. It works to good that I have passed on the idea to some of my modeling friends. Hope you don't mind.
Jim

While designing the interior machinery I discouvered the mill woild work best on the layout if I flipped it from the original plan. This was definetly the time to decide that, since then interior was bare

View attachment 58210

Speaking of the interior. I used some excellent articles for vintage Model railroader magazines (1968) by Jack work for the machinery design. If anyone is intrested in scratchbuilding this equipment you must take a look at these articles.

View attachment 58211

This is the log carriage. I decided to start with this since almost all the equipment size is built to suit the log carrige. There are 38 pieces of wood styrene and brass in it. It measures 2 1/2" long
While designing the interior machinery I discouvered the mill woild work best on the layout if I flipped it from the original plan. This was definetly the time to decide that, since then interior was bare

View attachment 58210

Speaking of the interior. I used some excellent articles for vintage Model railroader magazines (1968) by Jack work for the machinery design. If anyone is intrested in scratchbuilding this equipment you must take a look at these articles.

View attachment 58211

This is the log carriage. I decided to start with this since almost all the equipment size is built to suit the log carrige. There are 38 pieces of wood styrene and brass in it. It measures 2 1/2" long
hello, your log carriage was very good. I am setting up my sawmill and I do not have the log carriage design. How to send?

hello, your log carriage was very good. I am setting up my sawmill and I do not have the log carriage design. How to send?
The original poster said he found the info in a 1968 Model Railroader magazine. I think Goggle searches might be your best bet, or you could see if you can find the old MRR copies on eBay.

[QUOTE = "santafewillie, post: 489498, membro: 3237"]
Espero que você não esteja esperando uma resposta. O pôster original Glen não visita o fórum há mais de quatro anos.
[/CITAR]
Tank you

Thank you very much for sharing this. It has been enormously helpful in planning the interior of mine, and the construction techniques are superb as well.

Back