Foto Fun June 8

The week at RJR

Great pics every one, Liked the steam shots Steve B.

Im now hooked on DCC and am looking at Sound next. During the week I have been converting one of my older locos into a track cleaner for the outdoor layout, I always give the track a once over with a track rubber before a running session. I have been looking at automatic cleaning and have a pad mounted under the fuel tank of this loco I am experimenting with. I also have found the squirrels have left debris on the track on occassions, not to mention spider webs between the trees, so here is my solution. As the original body has had two reworks ( Extra width to suit my On30 Days, then return to shape and repaint in Virgin colours ) it was beyond re-use, A new donor was required

beast1.jpg

The Plymouth body needed a bit of a "cut and shut" job

beast2.jpg

A bit of plasticard and grills added

beast3.jpg

The dozer blade is bogie mounted to keep it central to the track.

beast4.jpg

The red warning lights are DCC controlled from the neat flash Cv setting

This weekend we went to the lake district for our 15 year wedding anniversary and we rode the tourist train.

S7000770.jpg

S7000768.jpg

Here is a video of the locos in action, HERE

John
RJR

John Nice work with the track cleaner, look's like something you would come across in the middle east or australia and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

I have never been to the Lakeside and Havalaugh and got on both the Fairbairns yet, it's always been the saddle tank or diesel railcar. Very nice pair of loco's they are. I was going to either watch 45407 from the east lancs doing the Liverpool shuttle or the 8F on the S&C today but the garden chores won the day.

Crandell Nice CP shot there

Well nothing new on the layout (for now). Some oldies...

Heavy Weather High Cube
200761017261_A.JPG

Weathered Covered Hopper
2007610172627_B.JPG

and again..
2007610172758_C.JPG

...and some outdoor shots...(I'll have to experiment more with that..)

CN MLW RS-18

2007610174458_11.JPG

2007610174519_22.JPG

2007610174543_33.JPG

DT&I Weekend

Well most of you have seen the new 5934 from the DT&I, but now here she is with her plow installed and on the layout. Also a couple of other random photos. Enjoy!

sd40layout012.jpg

sd40layout011.jpg

sd40layout005.jpg

sd40layout007.jpg

sd40layout006.jpg

Still not quite sure what I want to put in this space...

sd40layout009.jpg

Been a while since I had anything to share for WPF as I haven't had much time for the layout the last several weeks. BTW great work as always! This is my favorite thread each weekend!

I have been working on some city buildings for Hopewell Junction. These are Walthers Modulars. They will be placed on a liftout behind the Hopewell Junction Yard. These are the backs of the buildings (This is what you will will see on the layout).

Here the two buildings are basically together:

HopewellStores01w.png

I used dry brushing to get rid of the "Plastic" look and tried to make the brick look like some of the old buildings in downtown Geneva, NY.

HopewellStores02w.png

HopewellStores03w.png

HopewellStores04w.png

Test fitting the module to see if it will indeed fit in its place on the layout.....

HopewellTestFit01w.png

Wow Ray, thats AWESOME! So I thought I'd show off some prototype research for my next two modules. These babies are gonna be tough!

Distant shot, those cliffs at the middle ground of the picture, are whats up next. Fitting in the flyover will be fun too.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=570836

Closer picture, though in my module you'll see the cliffs to the left in this picture.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=192061

Here's a short from Windows Live, from the general angle you'll see if from on my layout.
cliffs.jpg

More
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=64068

The best picture from the angle you'll see on my layout (and pictures).
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=161025

This will all fit into 2'x7', the modules will fit 2'x6' of it. I'm going to add "clamp on" backdrops too so that I can shoot better pics there.

Oh, thought I'd mention too, eBay has been expensive, got 3 Walthers Bi-level commuter cars to become BNSF business cars, and SIX Genesis Automax cars! I refuse to post the value though, cause, well my wallet is suffering...

Josh: finaly scenery!!!

great pictures everyone! enjoyed them!!
Ray impressive building and nice composition on the layout!
Josh :F A N T A S T I C landsape, you choose a very nice/impressive part( for mrr scale)on this route for your " project" of the Cajon pass!
btw I do have respect how you handle this hughe project for sooo long!!( hope "handle"is the right word?)
Again very nice pictures..
So.... I HAD to tell you that!

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh, that is going to be an impressive addition to your layout. Be sure to show us your progress and how you build it as it goes along. Gorgeous scenery!

Nice work everyone!

This weekend I converted an Atlas U30C from a BN to a blue/white Rock Island. My story goes that this was one of their original 18 U30Cs from the early 70s, rebuilt in the late 80s and repainted into the Rock paint scheme, then renumbered in the late 90s with the new numbering system. It won't be repainted into the new Rock Lobster scheme because of its limited life on the mainline. Here's a few photos:

img7089lv1.jpg

img7091ee8.jpg

img7093wc2.jpg

img7095kl8.jpg

Zephyr, VERY nice unit and an interesting backstory! :) I like people who model modern-day fallen flags! :D very cool!

One thing though..remember that rust is patchy, OPAQUE, and streaks very heavily from the battery boxes due to corrosion. Also might want to rust up the "moving" parts present on the truck sideframe, such as the journal bearing caps (some don't move, I know)

Zephyr, VERY nice unit and an interesting backstory! :) I like people who model modern-day fallen flags! :D very cool!

One thing though..remember that rust is patchy, OPAQUE, and streaks very heavily from the battery boxes due to corrosion. Also might want to rust up the "moving" parts present on the truck sideframe, such as the journal bearing caps (some don't move, I know)
If you like us so much, why don't you become one of us?

Smoke, lol! I am in a way... My Mission Valley and Pacific Railway is the California Southern System of the late 1890's, rebuilt to "modern" standards (Modern=1950 for me!) I recently had a strong urge to buy a pair of GP15-1's to make a modern version of my railway...does anybody on this forum have a couple they'd be willing to part with? Or where can I find a few? :confused:

Here's the California Southern System (in real life): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Southern_Railroad

http://www.sdrm.org/history/cs/index.html

So in a way I'm keeping a long-fallen flag alive in a very interesting way! :D

so therefore... I AM ONE OF "US" :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

If you like us so much, why don't you become one of us?

I doubt many of us who model modern-day fallen flags would derive much fun from the niche we have created if EVERYBODY jumped on the same bandwagon... I know I wouldn't. :p

Back