Analog power supply gives DCC effects

Brakeman Hal

I have a 50-year-old Analog power supply that sounds Horn (or Whistle) & Bell on DCC locos when I flip the direction switch rapidly.
Hal

002.JPG

Last edited:
I like 'em too! They give a cue to momentary poor rail contact by watching the ammeter flicker.
They also tell at what track voltage the loco's starting sounds will come on, and when movement begins.

Hal

When I purchased my first HO locomotive, it was a BLI Hudson 4-6-4. It had the QSI decoder, and was meant to be operated as 'dual mode', even with a simple DC power supply. I had a Bachmann basic power supply with the AC outputs and the reversing switch. I was able to get the bell to ring and the whistle to sound by rapidly cycling the reversing switch. This was according to the instructions for the QSI decoder.

Last edited:
When I purchased my first HO locomotive, it was a BLI Hudson 4-6-4. It had the QSI decoder, and was meant to be operated as 'dual mode', even with a simple DC power supply. I had a Bachmann basic power supply with the AC outputs and the reversing switch. I was able to get the bell to ring and the whistle to sound by rapidly cycling the reversing switch. This was according to the instructions for the QSI decoder.
I remember when I got my first Tsunami fitted loco and the club's layout was still DC only and one of the knowall members grabbing the walkaround plugin controller out of my hand to teach me something or other he thought he knew about sound and flicking the forward/reverse switch to blow the horn and of course it didn't. He threw it back to me and muttered "Your engine must be broken" and walked off. He did it a second time when, being DC, you have to incease the power to get the sound started generally before it will move, and because it didn't move as quickly as he thought it should, twisting the knob back and forth rapidly. Brand new engine, first time with it at the club and this clown is grabbing the controller out of my hand and displaying not only his "B" rudeness but abusing my costly model. Me, being new and not wanting to rock the boat, said nothing, but he was lucky he didn't get the controller's cord wrapped around his neck and a Jabba the Hutt move applied. Somebody said, He's always like that. I thought, time someone taught him some etiquitte, or I will if he does it again.

Back