Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

How about a closer look at some of the stuff in my post #150.
Here is a Blair Line laser-cut wood kit of a rural feed and seed store. I'll be using it in a yet to be built small town over on the plywood prairie.
09-18-20 001.JPG

I also purchased four Oxford vehicles. This '69 Dodge Charger "Daytona" will be used in a drive-in diner scene, that I have been featuring over in the Coffee Shop.
09-17-20 004.JPG

Here's a '57 Dodge D100 pickup to be used with the feed store above.
09-17-20 005.JPG

I have a '61 Cadillac Sedan deVille that will fit somewhere.
09-17-20 006.JPG

And finally a '65 Chevrolet step side pickup, with a Bell Telephone emblem. I have several linemen that I will use this with, location pending.
09-17-20 007.JPG

These Oxford vehicles are really nice and reasonably priced.

The UPS person dropped off a box today with some goodies.

• A 1953 Ford station wagon
  • A 1958 Cadillac Edorado
  • A 1958 Chevy Fleetside pickup
  • A snow plow
  • Some brass tubing to use for power pickup
  • A new razor saw to replace one I ruined cutting brass tubing (don't do that.)

Ok, based on the price tags, it looks like I have some competition at my favorite St. Paul LHS. 🤣
Uh oh, two people shop there? :) I love going to Scale Model Supply, but my wallet doesn't. :)
Three of us do. Y'all need to come and introduce yourselves! If you've been to North Metro or Hennepin Overland, you've probably seen my army of Milwaukee Road stuff. Or you've seen a giant, bearded younger guy. Tallest in the room, that's me.

Funny story: I spent a month or so trying to land a nice caboose to go with my two early 70's CN&W six-axles. I either found modern-era ones or unprototypical ones. Finally, a guy I know in Florida sent me a Proto center cupola caboose for $5 along with a trade. The next day after he shipped it, I walked into SMS's back room and found this one. Early C&NW, former CGW caboose. The road number is in the wrong place, but otherwise a perfect caboose for what I wanted.
IMG_20200920_215635638.jpg

Here with an RPO check-in.

A fella on Facebook was selling this Bachmann girl for $170. Finding GS-4's in Daylight paint, especially 4449, is understandably difficult. Many people are after these, and normally even the Bachmann ones go for major money due to demand. Getting my childhood favorite 4-8-4, with sound, for $170 was a no-brainer.

Hoping to use this for a how-to video. The Bachmann GS-4's aren't crap, and can be improved easily.

IMG_20200920_220654783.jpg

Funny story: I spent a month or so trying to land a nice caboose to go with my two early 70's CN&W six-axles. I either found modern-era ones or unprototypical ones. Finally, a guy I know in Florida sent me a Proto center cupola caboose for $5 along with a trade. The next day after he shipped it, I walked into SMS's back room and found this one. Early C&NW, former CGW caboose. The road number is in the wrong place, but otherwise a perfect caboose for what I wanted.

Ah, wish I'd known that-- for months, SMS had a pair of Atlas yellow cupola CNW cabooses on the shelf in the main room that I thought were mis-marked, at $12.95 each, when everything else around them was marked $21+. I almost bought them twice, just because of the price, but never did because they don't really fit my layout theme. Not sure if they fit your era, but I swung by just last week and they were gone.

I kinda have a routine with SMS. I get my hair cut at a place in St. Paul that I've been going to for years, and then stop at Scale Model Supplies right after, which is only about ten blocks away. Since the pandemic, I almost feel obligated to buy something at any LHS I walk into, to help keep them around. Last Friday I walked out with a pair of Walthers GN wood chip hoppers, to add to my forest-products fleet. Although I don't have any GN power, from what I've seen, these cars remained in service well into the present day, so the touch of blue they add should work ok.

The first two behind the CFNR GP15 are the newest, so now I've got a 4-pack of these hoppers.

P1010344.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if they fit your era, but I swung by just last week and they were gone.
I hate to say I don't support SMS as much as I probably should. Not lately, anyway. I've given plenty of my money to that store but I am really picky about it. I virtually gave up on the showfloor near the counter as that stuff is often way too highly priced. Consider, he has a Bachmann GS-4 Daylight, DC only, priced at $100 over the sound-equipped price. I understand they have to mark-up to cover their costs and bills but that's just too high for what it is.

Once in a while I give in on a passenger car or something. Mostly I only go there for supplies and to browse the back room. I love that back room. I always manage to find good stuff in there. Found my Little Joe in the back room case full of locomotives.
106314540_10222922611751626_3507886716005523934_o.jpg

Don't forget, there's Becker's up in New Brighton, MN, also. But he basically only stocks brand new stuff and is kind of lean on modeling supplies. Bill will do special orders, though.

Back again. Anyone familiar with John Dick and his Beer Line switching layout in Indiana? These three came from him. Three Athearn Genesis F7's, weathered, for $50 Each! I couldn't turn that deal down.

Not only that, but after I paid for these, John and I had a nice conversation about weathering and different articles of Milwaukee Road.

IMG_20200921_205223742.jpg
IMG_20200921_204415549.jpg

I hate to say I don't support SMS as much as I probably should. Not lately, anyway. I've given plenty of my money to that store but I am really picky about it. I virtually gave up on the showfloor near the counter as that stuff is often way too highly priced. Consider, he has a Bachmann GS-4 Daylight, DC only, priced at $100 over the sound-equipped price. I understand they have to mark-up to cover their costs and bills but that's just too high for what it is.

Yeah, I won't disagree with you there. I mostly look there for out-of-production items that aren't easily found elsewhere, and things that haven't been re-priced from years ago (and thus are cheaper than the current run stuff). I think I've only ever bought one loco there for the reasons you mention, plus they don't have much DCC or sound. And not to get too nit-picky but...the owner is cool, but most of his employees aren't that friendly.

Most of the good deals I've found in the last few years have been at shows, but unfortunately those aren't happening these days. Hopefully it all gets back to normal eventually.

Yeah, I won't disagree with you there. I mostly look there for out-of-production items that aren't easily found elsewhere, and things that haven't been re-priced from years ago (and thus are cheaper than the current run stuff).
Tell me about it. long after Athearn's Bombardier commuter cars became unobtanium, SMS was sitting on three sets of 3 Northstar Bombardier cars, and half a dozen singles. I bought one 3-pack for $150, then spread the word on Facebook that the others were there. I went back a week later and all those Bombardiers were gone!

Anyway, per the RPO I have a special one. I got another box from Lines West today. Two models of Milwaukee two-bay hopper rebuilds. Like my Thrall-built caboose, these are 3D-printed models representing some custom home shop hoppers MILW kicked out. These hoppers served many roles, but mine will be hauling gravel. The photo shows the full contents of the kit.

These kits are pretty cool. All the brake piping and grab irons are 3D printed as part of the major assemblies, so there is no wire detailing to do unless you really want to.

IMG_20200923_215506836.jpg
MILW Open Hoppers 1.jpg

Back