Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Model railroading weather is here I guess. 37 degrees last night, 36 tonight. Finishing up some home projects. Rebuild the shed that was in disarray.

Shed.jpg

Good morning gang!
In the final few hours of a 61 hour work week, then Sunday off and start it again next week. I never thought in my wildest dreams when I was a kid that being an adult was so tiring! I should have stayed in the basement playing with my trains!!

But then, I do like to eat. :rolleyes:
Speaking of eating, Flo, can I start with some country fried steak and 2 eggs sunny side up??

Looks like I am going back on Fleabay as a seller soon, I've got several engines, and a ton of NOS Atlas Alco parts (all HO), plus some P2K E unit parts to get rid of, also modern HO vehicles..........yup, too much stuff.

Speaking of stuff, the new AFT loco has made it from Beatrice NE to Omaha to Hodgkins IL , should be here Tuesday!!! I can't wait!!

L8ter!

Good Morning all 45 degrees in the Ozark Foothills. Flo Grits and Raisin Toast.

Troy. Nice update on the layout that weight should keep it down

Terry. Thanks for the update on Tony

George. Nice looking shed

Patrick Good to here your wife is ok with here Heart praying your Daughter gets through this ok as well

Tom. Nice Sunset

No bench time or layout time last night I was wiped out after work yesterday going to spend some time on the HO layout cleaning today. Here’s some pics of the HO Layout I took this week. Take care and have a great day.
9D449718-3C67-4A00-8907-BE495EDC9E05.jpeg
69B1E302-3D16-4DFC-815F-075B9A44A2F6.jpeg
1374AAF2-C58C-4418-A02F-D3E41EE7C437.jpeg
923384B9-077D-4D9A-B907-A01581B58946.jpeg
69A0A4F5-A3DF-45AB-8843-C2E89F8B4317.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning from southern Oregon! 50 degrees, slight breeze.
Ever since then, It's my job to watch her purse and sweater while she and our cruise friends go dance.
Troy...Some things take time? Everybody should do a career change every once in a while...no? 😉😉
Willie...Thanks much for the link! I've got that book marked, and on hard copy. I am the least computer (read--confuser!) savvy! I NEED the hard copy🤪
I like your track cleaning box car. Do you run the pad dry or with cleaner? I made one of those masonite cars but not really satisfied with it.
Lee...and anybody, any idea of the age? I'm guessing late 50's into 60's......
Curt... Thank you!
Kettlebells (whatever that is).
Expensive? Sherrell, I'm guessing.......
Ken...Great story, made me go back in time. 👍 Back in '66--'67, my buddy in Medford had one of these sets, well I'm pretty sure it was one of these. I can distinctly remember playing with it, but not a whole lot of details, 3 rail track, black steam engine, w/smoke, and that's about it! Nothing past that........lol
I had a Lionel train set which had a 2-4-2 loco like that
Garry...That must have been one of their staple engines. How many did they make? Millions?......and beyond?
Tom...Nice photo! Reminds me of here! 🙂
Thanks all for the likes & such..👍
Every body have a safe day!

Good Morning All. Clear and 65°. We're definitely into our fall weather and fall doesn't even start 'til Tuesday. Highs in the low-80's and lows in the lower to mid-60's. Just for fun, the weatherman threw rain in the forecast for Monday and Tuesday.
Stayed busy yesterday, mowed the south part of the yard as well as parts of the "back 40", while doing laundry and emptying the dishwasher. Still making the daily trip for dry ice for the non-functional freezer while waiting on delivery of the new one Tuesday. Hope that it's not raining when they come! Wife and I did do some culling out of some frozen (still) stuff though, we found some frozen garden produce, chopped onions and bell peppers from 2014 that were in the back of the bottom drawer. While they were most likely still good, I have plenty of more recent harvests to use.

Received some interesting news yesterday regarding the window company that I worked for for 43 years. The owners who bought the company in 2000 and pretty much left it alone until 2013 when they consolidated two of their other plants into ours, are finally wiping out the very last vestiges of my original company. They had already moved all of the window and patio door operations (ours and theirs) into a new location and are now shutting down the extrusion and paint divisions that we had started in 1978. My buddy, the plant manager is totally distraught. He had planned to work at it for four more years and then retire. While he and all other employees have been told that they could have jobs at the other location, doing other stuff, he has always been adamant that he would never go to that location. By offering jobs to all of the employees, the company doesn't have to lay anyone off and avoid that issue. Most of the employees will not go. When they moved all of the other operations in 2015-2016, they only kept the then current workforce for 90 days because they offered a bonus of $300 if the employees moved and stayed that long. Most employees, approximately 450, stayed just two weeks longer so they could collect their Christmas vacation and bonus checks before the plant was totally devoid of employees after New Years Day! Even when I still worked there before retiring, I saw the owners make some pretty stupid and costly decisions like that over the years.

Hey there Flo! How about a Western omelet and a slice of raisin toast for me today.

Thanks for the many likes and comments yesterday everybody; Chet, Lee, Justin, Patrick, Rick, Jerome, Guy, Chad, Karl, Hughie, Phil, Curt, Tom O, Ken, Tom, Garry.

Spent some time in the train shed yesterday. While still dealing with painting details, I got to work on the next part of this project area. There is a structure to the right of the diner that I had painted and assembled a few years ago. It didn't really fit the location that I had originally planned, either size-wise or in keeping with the character of the location. So it languished on the shelf for many years.
09-19-20 002.JPG

The structure is an older DPM kit called City Cab Co. That's not what I intend to use it for. I will be using it as an HVAC contractor business. Left side is offices and the right side is indoor storage with a drive thru garage. Out back will be multiple pieces of "junk" representing used equipment.
Yesterday, I installed clear styrene in all of the windows to get started, today I will search the parts cabinet for some roof details (I have many), and get them painted and maybe even installed. I may also start installing the road out front, and working on the parking area for the diner. I actually need to deal with the railroad behind this scene, as I haven't even painted the rail or ballasted it yet. Best to do that before I fasten the diner down. The base on the diner started warping slightly after I started assembling it and it also has fixed interior lighting. Otherwise I normally don't attach structures to the layout. This will be a rare exception.
Here are a couple of more close up pictures of some of the items that I purchased Monday on my visit to the LHS. First up is the Laube Linen Mill from DPM. Note that this LHS is a discounter and all prices are 20% off MSRP.
09-18-20 003.JPG

And a structure (intentional repeat for me) from Smalltown. I will be varying the color and it will not be Tony's gym.
09-18-20 004.JPG

By painting it a different color and giving it a different orientation, I don't mind duplicate structures. I'll show you a trick or two when I build it. There's really not enough different manufacturers any more that can provide different structures for larger layouts.

Troy - I don't (can't) dance either. I was forced to at each of my children's weddings. At least I didn't have to dance with my son!
Sherrel - Congratulations to Kate on her progress. Nice picture of the Austin & Central Texas RSD-15. It began life as a Santa Fe locomotive back in the 60's. As far as I know, it is still undergoing re-restoration after 15 or so years of service on the A&CT.
Seems that Joe explained the kettlebells already.
Tom O - Much congratulations on the 44th anniversary. Hoping that there are many more to come.
Garry - The stripes on those poles have been befuddling me for well over a week. They are getting closer to my satisfaction. First the red paint, then the white paint, then the red etc. That and I get cross-eyed and have to set it down and come back later. Impossible for me to do all of them at once!:( Thought about giving up and just painting them all one color.

Today is National Talk Like A Pirate Day. Since I am socially isolated and don't see anyone, I guess that I will not be celebrating.

OK, now that the sun has risen (or has it), I can see that the Left Coast smoke haze has finally drifted south far enough to affect us. That will screw up my Vitamin D intake for the day. At least it appears to be high enough in the atmosphere to not affect breathing. Thankfully.
Everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Morning from out West! Just a note to let you know that we are saving some HOT for you NEastern folks. Weatherman says 95 today and about there for the next ten days.

Another 4 AM wakeup .. I don't nap and by 9PM I can't concentrate on anything.
KARL -- You struck a nerve this morning .. I love country fried steak with eggs/hash browns - grits are good with it also; you talked me into it this morning.
Failed out on the garden cart at Lowes - cheap made all plastic lightweight junk! I came home and ordered one off the Bay with taz came to right at 100 - more than I wanted to spend, but what can you do?
SWMBO will be pleased - have not told her as of now. Funny - She gave me $100 for my birthday and now I spent it on her and I don't even have enough left for an ice cream cone!
My Swift boxtruck tandem axle IH arrived - I will have to make some mods to it for the tanker - Lord, how do you guys work on HO anymore? Thing is tiny; how am I ever going topaint the wheels White?

Guess I had better get a refil on the coffee - going to be a long day.
Later folks!

Good morning. It's clear and 55.
Wombat Tony is still around, he's just not as active on this forum as he used to be.
UNDERSTATEMENT. I know that he's active on some N scale forum that I don't visit, but he hasn't logged in here since December 2018. Did someone here piss him off? I do miss him very much. His adventures into outdoor G scale, HO scale and the shed N scale were always interesting. And he had a 1:1 line running besides his property. Wish that he would return.

UNDERSTATEMENT. I know that he's active on some N scale forum that I don't visit, but he hasn't logged in here since December 2018. Did someone here piss him off? I do miss him very much. His adventures into outdoor G scale, HO scale and the shed N scale were always interesting. And he had a 1:1 line running besides his property. Wish that he would return.
I’m not 100% sure about all the reasons he left, but we do have a small handful of people on the forum that seem to delight in shoving their opinions down others’ throat, in the most untactful manner possible.

I was thinkin of the "other" Swift..... And yes LEE, we do! Have a good day all, we're off to Santa Maria and Pismo Beach for some R&R.
Sorry just thinking of my dad telling me stories about hauling out of the Swift plant in St.Louis in 1955 with a Mack LT Hauling swinging meat to California he would stop at Barstow California to re-ice the bunker in front of the inside of the trailer for the Journey across the Mojave. I always love to listen to his stories

Good Afternoon all. Well here we go again. Storm Beta is predicted to affect this area with rain and higher than usual tides. At least I didn't take down the plywood covering the french doors. I have been working on SCARM trying to come up with a good track plan. What do you think?
Outer loop is the main line for Boston and Maine. The inner is the branch line Deerfield and Apple Ridge. So the thought is the B&M would drop off cars on the interchange track, and then D&AR would set into the yards. Cars would be picked up and set out by switchers. I may need to rotate this 180 degrees. There is a light switch where the tunnel is and may interfere also as viewed the engines in the engine house aren't viewable. Dimensions 11 foot long x 40 inches wide.
1600535508269.png

Went to purchase more tubes of locktite for foam. So I got some more foam sheets.

Managed to glue first layer on the entire Seattle side of the layout. This is the section designed to come loose and slide out of the way if we need to do major work to the elect panel for the condo.

Also got the parts cut from the OSB - the gorge in the middle, and reach-up access for tunnel operations. May need to install a mirror behind the tunnel section, so I can see what I'm reaching for.

More pics tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 3.11.17 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back