Locomotive, Train & Layout information, how to store & sort

DakotaLove39

Always Improvising
Hey guys,

A little preface, I am now three years into serious model railroading. Milwaukee Road in the 1970's is my focus. I can't yet build a home layout, but the ideas are starting to roll.

So I'd like some advice from the older and more experienced crowd. I'm at the point where I feel like I need a way to store and sort my prototype information. Train numbers, cargo, photos, articles, detailing information and layout ideas. I'm considering starting a blog or a Facebook page to help myself correlate all of the "stuff" I get into for my model railroading. At this point a file folder on my PC full of prototype photos of my locomotives doesn't seem to be good enough anymore.

How do you guys handle all of your info?

5.jpg

I use Shenware software.....I can inventory anything model railroad related using MiTrains. This includes decal sheets, magazines, books, locomotives, cars, you name it. I can write all the information I want and store on my PC, thumb drive or phone. Export to MS Excel or PDF.
locos.jpg
magazines.jpg
Rolling stock.jpg

You can key in what ever you want for information. You can set-up your own files, indexes or other. I even use this to inventory my Rapala lure fishing collection. It is so versatile and user friendly. I know the programmer Peter White very well he has been programming over 40 years. I use his other software for Waybills as well as IndMan too. Check it out at the very least try the demo for a bit before purchasing to see if you like it.

Click on "index" below it's the link to his website.

Steve..I am laughing my ass off!! 😂😂 At my self! James above posted some of the sheets he uses with Shenware. That made me laugh so hard, I wouldn't have a clue on how to do any of that stuff, honestly, I can barely slog my way thru getting something on an excel document.
That is nice James, I really do envy you 👍 Check my avatar---'ol school!
Ok, my info, so I did manage to use an Excel sheet and make a list of locomotives, and a list for rolling stock. I do have these lists backed up on hard copy paper & pen. All the other lists for vids, supplies, pieces, parts and whatever, hard coy!

Steve..I am laughing my ass off!! 😂😂 At my self! James above posted some of the sheets he uses with Shenware. That made me laugh so hard, I wouldn't have a clue on how to do any of that stuff, honestly, I can barely slog my way thru getting something on an excel document.
That is nice James, I really do envy you 👍 Check my avatar---'ol school!
Ok, my info, so I did manage to use an Excel sheet and make a list of locomotives, and a list for rolling stock. I do have these lists backed up on hard copy paper & pen. All the other lists for vids, supplies, pieces, parts and whatever, hard coy!

Jerry it is quite simple and easier than Excel. All the road names are already there, including EMD, GE, ALCO, types and so on. All you do is click in each column. The only typing you do is road numbers and notes everything else is there for selection. Oh also if you want to add a picture of course you would have to provide that. Like I said try the demo for 30 days you will be amazed. Peter (the owner/programmer) hates typing. So everything is listed for all facets to do with the RR. You will pleasantly surprised.

Peace

Back