Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken, It may be a problem with the jumper BUT does it run ok with just the front truck connected?? If so, I'd be tempted to splice the red tight side wires together and the left black wires bypassing the plug completely. After of course, after testing the rear truck for shorts with a meter 1st.
Karl - see my reply to Terry above... I just swapped out one truck for another, I didn't feel like splicing wires!

IBKEN - YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GIVE UP! You read ME!
I think you have a "pinch" there somewhere?
Prove me wrong!
That wasn't me talking Sherrell, it was Charlie Brown after Lucy yanked the football away for the umpteenth time! :rolleyes: After spending two hours to replace the 'M' trucks with the 'B' type, I just wasn't ready for an unexpected electrical malfunction...

(Maybe this was supposed to happen, to get me to start posting here again?)

I tend to avoid Walmart at all cost, however, there are times when it cannot be avoided. I try getting there as early as possible, before all the "interesting" folks come to for the day. However, a walk through the local Walmart is a walk through another world...During the average visit, you will observe folks speaking in up to ten different languages, none of which is English. :rolleyes:
We've had two languages here in Texas for over 50 years, so the Spanish is no big deal to me, especially since I am somewhat fluent in it already. The oriental folks don't shop there, at least from what I observe. The only reason I even went is that we needed something that is not available elsewhere. I bought three so I don't have to go back any time soon. I really don't give a darn that they tend to be cheaper, everything there has been handled by gosh knows how many others, which is even more disconcerting in these times of the "plague".
The video that Karl posted is only half of what I saw. :eek:

Howdy ....

It was a long but very enjoyable week ...... Family members for Florida departed yesterday and family members from Michigan left today. ....

It looks like there are many interesting conversations and pictures posted here in the Coffee Shop....... It will take a while before I can catch up.

Cheers, everybody !

I like Walmart, but I only go early in the morning. I do most of my Walmart shopping online. Online stores like Amazon, Walmart, Target Sears/Kmart I eliminate much of the need to go shopping. Fresh meats produce and refrigerated products keep me going to the grocery store at least once a week.

Last edited:
Chet, I am too cheap to pay for the additional features, like OnStar, navigation, or satellite radio. I don’t need it, with the free Apps “Android Auto, Google Maps and Music Choice (free through my Comcast account) They all work through my phone and show up on the big, easy to see dashboard display.

I take pride in being cheap!

1598757406533.png

Well....my computer problems continue. My main Win10 machine seems to have settled down, although I'm not totally certain. Did a Reset, but still had some issues, seems to have been OK today. Can't say the same for the mini tower I got to run JMRI on, seems to have died because of equally strange reasons. When trying to boot up the screen gets taken over by vertical columns of what look like hundreds of fine bars of military decorations, jiggling or flickering which also fades and obscures the background. Managed to make out the words run recovery I think, but was unable to do so through it. I had previously Uninstalled an AVAST anti virus program and secure browser program that Google had blocked as dangerous. At the time of doing that, subsequent boot up speed etc improved markedly. So it looks as though I had inadvertently installed a fake when originally looking for a free one when setting it up. Even the WIFI dongle was not flickering or even lit up..

Because the Win10 is about 8-9 years old now and started life as a Win7, I'm looking at a new one with the much improved i series intel CPU's. Present one is the first of the i3's and am told the latest version 10 of that is as fast as the original top of the line i7. Think I'll go for an SSD hard drive too. 8 Gb of RAM offered as well, instead of the current 4 for about $AU900. Whether it's even worth having the mini tower looked at with it's Pentium processor is moot. Was so handy as it fitted nicely inside the desk that also contained the 22" monitor all enclosed when not in use. A later model refurbished one I guess. I like a larger screen than is available in a Laptop.

A Very Good Morning Everyone. Raining and 70°. Our ever astute weather bureau didn't put that in the forecast until an hour ago, which was two hours after it started! Raining lightly and it looks like it could last another couple of hours. Only predicting a high today of 98° after yesterday's 103°. This cloudiness and rain will need to go away pretty darn quickly if that's going to happen.
I mowed for a good 90 minutes yesterday because I missed doing it! ;) Did a lot of household chores after that.

Just give me a turkey hero sandwich this morning Flo. I just feel like something besides breakfast fare today. Root Beer to wash it down with.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday; Karl, Guy, Chet, Lee, Dave, Phil, Tom O, Sherrel, Tom, Curt, James.

Stopped by the train shed late yesterday before plunging into the pool. While there, I installed seven of the nine fence panels separating the main line from the tenement housing, before eye fatigue set in. I did some re-staging of trains just to keep a few engineers on their toes, mainly me. Not much but enjoyable nonetheless. I know that my time out there will be limited for the time being with the extra household chores and recovering patient, (dare I say "invalid"?). :)
Here's the final installment of pictures of the layout in the Foley Railroad Museum. These were taken on a previous trip in 2016. All nice overall shots.
20161018_103350.jpg

20161018_103438.jpg

20161018_103446.jpg

20161018_103452.jpg

20161018_104648.jpg

20161018_104723.jpg

These were all taken by me using my wife's cell phone, I didn't own one then and I forgot to charge the battery in the camera

Lee - I may have posted this before in another thread, but your vehicle collection is every bit as impressive as your modeling.
Garry - Good to see that you made it through all of the loved ones.
Ray -
I like a larger screen than is available in a Laptop.
I am with you all the way on that.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Good morning. Louis I never was a PC fan but also enjoyed seeing the electrics, thanks for sharing that and all your pictures. Itis cool in So. Central Wisconsin just heading to 70’s today. The granddaughter is 9 today. She has Down Sydrome and is the sweetest person you would ever wish to meet. Party at noon!

From the National Train Museum in Green Bay last year. A Big Boy and a GG1, among many others including an Aero trainset.
E558CC7F-EB64-4B95-B1E2-55DE59D0530E.jpeg

542F775D-1D2D-49BD-A900-FF5F9607F040.jpeg
Enjoy your day.
TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back