Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 68°, another cool morning. The view from in the pool this morning looking East.
08-02-20 006.JPG

A little more to the Northeast.
08-02-20 009.JPG

Barely made it to 90° yesterday, I like August so far!:) The forecast still is calling for possible triple digits by Thursday. Pool temperature is ranging from 85° in the morning to 87° by sunset, a perfect range. Felt good this morning. Perfect walking weather again this morning. An unusual occurrence today for a Sunday though, as there was a car that went by. Didn't recognize it or the occupant. Most likely a late honky-tonker returning home via the back roads. There's not usually any traffic on our road on Sundays until at least 9 or 10.
Still picking tomatoes, quite unusual here considering the heat, although there's only about 10-12 plants still with tomatoes on them. Looks like it will be dry enough to mow again today after the dew dries. Oh Boy!

Loads of bacon and a couple of scrambled eggs this morning for me, Flo. Add a piece of raisin toast and a large OJ.

Thanks for the reactions and comments yesterday for the progress post; Jerome, Guy, Joe, Tom O, Garry, Louis, Sherrel, Justin, Phil, Curt, Tom, James.

NY is nice, once you escape the Metropolitan Area.
I'll second that. I have a cousin that lives on 75 acres in the Catskills that is absolutely gorgeous. It was our family's vacation home owned by a great aunt when we lived in Brooklyn in the 50's.

I continued on with the newest project out in the train shed yesterday. The next step was to move the Magazine Mountain out of the way!
08-01-20 001.JPG

Lo and behold, there is scenery behind it!
08-02-20 001.JPG

Then test fitting some track and some flatcars into the area.
08-02-20 005.JPG

Guy - I have done a lot with those old Atlas kits. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Garry - I think that it is going to be a completely static display. I'll be able to move the flats in and out only. The ramps on the flatcars can be glued on in either the up or down position only. Still a work in progress.
Chet -
You must have had a senior moment when you put the trailer flats together
Not really, that's where the mounting holes were located. I wasn't originally planning on a piggyback ramp so it didn't matter. In these days of Mijack cranes and Kalmar fork trucks, orientation doesn't matter. I see them both ways at the BNSF (formerly ATSF) Alliance Intermodal Yard nearby.
Terry -
"Hello! Our records indicate you have not contacted us to activate your vehicle's extended warranty!"
Five freakin minutes I've had this number!
Out of choice I only got a cell phone in late 2018. I never had any extended warranties on any vehicles that I owned, but I still get those calls. They are trying to reach the previous owner of that phone number...ATT had told me that it had been inactive for five years (seven now). To this day, I still get calls and text's for Kristina G, since she never told anyone that she had changed/dropped the number. Doctors, dentists, beauticians, insurance companies, old friends, political campaigns, but mostly bill collectors; they all still call me. I have begun to have fun with some of them.
Justin - Nice looking truck.
Sherrel - Prayers and best wishes for Kate.

Curt, Phil, and anyone else from Florida and the East Coast. Stay safe. Haven't checked today, but it looks like mostly rain without a lot of damaging wind. But we all know how quickly that can change.

Everybody have a great day.

The Mark Twain Zephyr, built in 1934, is being moved from Madison, IL near St Louis. It will be relaocated to Wisconsin where it will be restored and made operational. .... Yesterday, the power car made the trip to Wisconsin.

50180935312_641b0117fe_z.jpg

50180680726_0a6c000a6b_b.jpg

50180143373_5b348730ba_c.jpg

Photos were in facebook .

Willie... Thanks for commenting about my eye surgery.

Good morning y'all, Happy Sunday:

Sherrel:
Hope your better half is more comfortable today, and able to come home today.
Garry: best wishes on surgery #2. Prayers also.
Willie: Nice photos of the Eastern sky.
Justin: Nice Pickup truck.

When it comes to telemarketing, they are now resorting to text messaging as well as phone calls. The slime gets more sophisticated all the time. I recently got a text, making an unsolicited lowball offer on my house by a group of flippers. I know my information is available through Public Records, but how did they cross reference my mobile phone? I do not have a land line with published number.

Yesterday, I was a ball of fire, replacing the door sweep on the door between the garage and laundry room. The sweep was purchased five years ago...nothing like being timely. :rolleyes: Later, I went down to the trainroom, and ran the B&O GP30. The more I run it, the quieter it gets. I do need to establish a program track...I also took the first step in eliminating some of the clutter, that inhibits my progress. Today, I'm going to eliminate more clutter.

Ocean City NJ August 2 1976.jpg

Consist of three PRSL Dual control GP38s drill freight house at Ocean City, NJ in 1976.
Maple Leaf @ Niagara falls ON #1.jpg

VIA's Maple Leaf, at Niagara Falls, ON, eh?

Southern Crescent - Alexandria - 16 April 1978 - WC.jpg

Southern Crescent passing through Alexandria in April 1978. The Masonic Shrine is prominent in the background.

Good morning. A couple of eggs over easy with home fries, Polish sausage and rye toast please.

Garry - Good luck on the surgery. My best friend and bowling partner had both of his eyes done and the improvement was outstanding. Like the photos of the Zephyr. Glad that it's being restored and made operational.

Sherrel - Hoping the best for your wife. Again, keep those temps down there. We did manage to stop short of 90 yesterday only getting to 88.

Tom - You can send some rain this way. Getting tired of moving rain birds.

Joe - Great photos. Keep them coming.

Ray - Like those MRL photos. Keeps me trying to figure out where they were taken. The one that you mentioned being bigger than a quarry looks like it was taken along the Missouri River north of Three Forks near Lombard.

Justin - Nice pickup truck. You must have wet your pants when you found it.

Had an interesting night at the club last night. I was lazy and instead of putting a 60 car train together on the tracks and having to MU the F units together I just ran the RDC. It ended up being a good idea. We had 7 trains in all running and one member made it interesting by jumping onto the other main line that he normally didn't run on and in the opposite direction. Made things interesting with some people havingto back trains onto sidings when they didn't watch the signals and came head t head with another train.

Here are some photos. One guy had his AmTrak train running. Hard to get a photo of the entire train, even though it's not that long. I have no idea what the locomotives are.

thumbnail_20200801_193515.jpg
thumbnail_20200801_192629.jpg

Here are some shots of the RDC. The first is below and actual place modeled called the Devils Dlide whichcan be seen to the west of US-89 between Livingston and Gardiner. The second is at the Gardiner Station, and then leaving Gardiner.
thumbnail_20200801_201422.jpg

thumbnail_20200801_200548.jpg

thumbnail_20200801_193027.jpg

Here it is at the passenger station in the east subdivision.
thumbnail_20200801_193728.jpg

The next is where we had to stop because we had the train that decided to run in the opposite direction was on the same track. Stopped short of a crossover so it could pass. The MRL helpers can be seen here.
thumbnail_20200801_195508.jpg
thumbnail_20200801_195540.jpg

thumbnail_20200801_201624.jpg
thumbnail_20200801_200131.jpg

Sorry to bore you. Enough RDC photos. Have to set the rain birds in new positioms and get water going.

Later

Good morning. Did the2 mile morning walk, shower and then an unplanned grocery store run. Dr. Pepper, 7-16.9oz. 6 packs for $10.00 as Terry found a coupon for today only. Not much, mostly relaxing today. Still not much modeling desire but did run trains for 30 minutes or so yesterday. Trying to figure out if I can put a concrete coaling tower on the main like the one pictured at Clyman Junction in Wisconsin. The 1st 2 pictures were from a research trip looking for a good safe place to capture the Big Boy when he went through Wisconsin summer of 2019. Have a great day. TomO

B8CBA6E8-17CA-4CF9-9217-B5803090EC2F.jpeg

48DFD919-ECB2-4D78-B112-BF938DB0F995.jpeg

Last edited:
Afternoon all. Well we are suppose to do one of those drive-by parades for our great granddaughter but I'm not sure the weather is going to cooperate. I did get about an hour train time yesterday. It sometimes amazes me how 30 minutes in a make believe world can be so relaxing. The Covid-19 hasn't hit Apple Ridge.
STAY SAFE

Later

Good afternoon gang
Powerwashed the house yesterday, (by myself:confused:), Made a trip to HD for some needed items, then came to the realization that its too hot for me today, so Im gonna chill today.
I did see this yesterday, advertised as an air conditioned John Deere mower.
Screenshot_20200801-192424_Facebook.jpg

Now I can die in peace, I've seen it all!

Good afternoon gang
Powerwashed the house yesterday, (by myself:confused:), Made a trip to HD for some needed items, then came to the realization that its too hot for me today, so Im gonna chill today.
I did see this yesterday, advertised as an air conditioned John Deere mower.View attachment 115823
Now I can die in peace, I've seen it all!
At least they kept the John Deere colors on the cab

Afternoon All,

Started out with some inside chores then finalized the track plan for the engine servicing area (third variation). I laid the cork roadbed around the facility with Elmer's (first time for me). I hope it holds OK. I should of put down the cork for the first 2 T/O's but forgot to do that :(. The rest of the track will be applied to the plywood (only in this area because of the TT/RH tracks) so I need to go to Lowes tomorrow for brown paint before laying track. The radius of the outside track is 27.5, and I still need to sand the roadbed and double check for levelness.

Justin- Very nice looking truck.

Sherrel- I hope Kate feels better soon.

Garry- Best wishes for tomorrow.

Guy- Nice color choices. I really like that shade of blue.

Willie- Very scenic mountain.:D

Joe- I did decide to add the cinders/ash pit since I have room for it. On my last layout there was no room for it at all. It's the black rectangle in the photo. SIL is coming out next weekend to use a router on it.

TomO- Interesting photos.

20200802_111519.jpg

20200802_112259.jpg

20200802_132814.jpg

I hope everybody has a good night.

Disappointmentsville again today ... can't get her blood pressure to stay down. Doctor does not want her out of his reach - maybe tomorrow.

CURT - You are smoking along - looking good!
CHET - Really great photos.
GARRY - Good to hear on the train - Good success on the eye surgery - stay safe!
Willie - more great scenes from the SFW estate - Carry on, Sir!
TOM - Nice photos
KARL- You need to buy that mower for Willie!

Sorry - I am just a little bummed out - ready for all this to be over with!
If I overlooked anyone - I'm sorry.

I did decide to add the cinders/ash pit since I have room for it. On my last layout there was no room for it at all. It's the black rectangle in the photo. SIL is coming out next weekend to use a router on it.

Curt:

Quick story about the ash pit, the one in Wilmington, DE was behind the inspection pit building. The track was removed, and the pit was filled with cinders. One night, a steel bar broke loose, and I made the mistake of parking over it, ripping my transmission pan open. needless to say I never did that again.:rolleyes:.

Chet:
repeat after me, RDCs are never boring!

Disappointmentsville again today ... can't get her blood pressure to stay down. Doctor does not want her out of his reach - maybe tomorrow.

CURT - You are smoking along - looking good!
CHET - Really great photos.
GARRY - Good to hear on the train - Good success on the eye surgery - stay safe!
Willie - more great scenes from the SFW estate - Carry on, Sir!
TOM - Nice photos
KARL- You need to buy that mower for Willie!

Sorry - I am just a little bummed out - ready for all this to be over with!
If I overlooked anyone - I'm sorry.
SHERREL, My best friends wife has been in & out of hospitals for the last several months.. Not being able to be in the room with them (Covid) even for a few moments, in my opinion, makes things worse for patient and mate. Hang in there.

Good afternoon gentlemen. Got a little time in the junk train room, did some vacuuming, track cleaning, ran some trains and fixed some wiring issues. Its been hot, 95-100 up here for the last couple weeks but some minimal (10*) cooling is coming this next week. I have realized now that I should have made the train room bigger, 12x20 instead of 12x10, not because I'm laying track 10+ miles a day but because it gets a little "claustrophobic" in the 10x12 with the door shut and the a/c going. Heres a couple pics, still having trouble seeing color that I want. I still have a lot to do on this tunnel scene, but I'm learning... Again, everyones work here is so impressive. I wish I would have started 10 years ago.
IMG_0127.jpg
IMG_0132.jpg

She said not to come! (I swear that I did nothing - lol)
No, she just said that she wasn't in a talkative mood - and she wouldn't have anything interesting to say, but if I felt that I couldn't live without seeing her - then to come.
That is not the woman I have been married too for 30 years!
Woe is me! Ha, I know different though!

PV DAVE - I like the varying shade of color on your mountain - it looks good!
Once you get some brush, trees and a few weeds scattered around - it will look very good. Don't give up the ship!

This photo of the ballast train carrying rock instead, was supposed to have been with the other one, under the 2nd comment. For some reason it didn't paste. Not much point in putting it back there, so I'll add it here. I guess they're building up an embankment somewhere. The people living on the beachfront of New South Wales SE coastline would no doubt appreciate some too, after 2 severe east coast lows in almost as many weeks. Quite a few houses hanging over the cliffs.
1596427264563.png

This photo of the ballast train carrying rock instead, was supposed to have been with the other one, under the 2nd comment. For some reason it didn't paste. Not much point in putting it back there, so I'll add it here. I guess they're building up an embankment somewhere. The people living on the beachfront of New South Wales SE coastline would no doubt appreciate some too, after 2 severe east coast lows in almost as many weeks. Quite a few houses hanging over the cliffs.
View attachment 115832
Man, that's some huge ballast!

Morning all,

Have to visit the old place in a bit.

Clear and a cool 63* this morning in Doo-Dah. Supposed to get to 83 today. Way cool for this time of year. Not scheduled for 90's again until the weekend. I did manage to finally get to the broken fence. I'd been waiting for the neighbor's blackberries to be done before I made the repair. Since the post wasn't broken, I just ran new stringers on top of the old and screwed everything in place. I just got lazy and didn't want to dismantle 2 sections of fence.

I did get some train room time over the weekend.
Some of the grandson's N-scale...
20200802_191331.jpg
20200802_191335.jpg

Yes he knows the cars are a bit big. It's his layout, and looks like grandpa forgot to reset the trains after we moved the layout table around to get the grass in place. I also created a hill as seen in the first picture. You can see where it is next to mine in the same shot.

I also painted my rails finally:
20200802_191258.jpg

They look darker in person. I do have most of the rail tops uncovered. I'll add more to my build thread. Thomas is a very handy little engine sometimes. The pickup points on it are sensitive to paint still on the track and switches. I think it stalled where it's at but I do have the yard cleared. I also have to repaint some of the wall where I didn't get the shield down in time. Fortunately for me we still have some of the paint around. I'm using the white side of an emery board (fine sand) to remove the paint from the surface. Not ideal, but better than the alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back