Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch it there, TERRY! (I had a Dodge - remember?)

Good morning - 59 degrees on the way to 86 today with sunny-breezy!
FLO - A couple of eggs, sausage, and cheese biscuits to go, please!

NO MORE SPORTS FOR ME, LOUIS, PERIOD!!!! I don't give a flying **** what they do!

WILLIE -- Nice looking SD-45's -- Frisco drivers sure liked the ones they had. Management didn't!

CURT - WOW - I am really impressed with your benchwork construction - magnificent looking!
Yup I am done with all sports. As much as I loved my Packers. I am done. Ya know what though. It just gives me more time outdoors or working on the layout etc. I hardly watch the TV anymore anyhow. Just a movie here and there or a few YouTube videos.

Why would pay to watch sports for political statements? It's BS. It should not be allowed or have any association with political junk. Stick to the game. Whatever.

I have my first tournament tomorrow on Lake Champlain. Will be leaving here in 2 hours. Already had my nap and rest. Leave here at 2 am and will be at the lake 3:30 am. Set boat in water at 4:00am. Register 4:30am then take off is at 5:30am be back for weigh in at 1:30 pm. We shall see how we do. Wish me luck! 🎣

Good Morning Everyone. Mostly cloudy and 74°. High temperature yesterday was only 89°due to the cloud cover. Looking for a repeat today.
Still entertaining the grandkids here. I am avoiding the living room with the assortment of Legos and Matchbox cars all over the floor, even with my shoes on. Throws off my balance to step on them.

Sausage, scrambled eggs and grits for me this morning Francine. Cheerios for the grandkids.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the loco power yesterday; Tom, Tom O, Garry, Guy, MoPac, Phil, Chet, David, Jerome, Rick, Justin, Chad, Karl, James.

Didn't get anything accomplished in the train shed yesterday, grandkids underfoot. I let them run some trains, five year old girls have a short attention span. My grandson, thirteen years old, finally realized some of the detailing in many of the scenes that he had just vaguely glanced at in recent years. He was quite impressed. He likes that sort of stuff, probably has over 100 Lego kits at home as well as a few here.
Here are some of the scenes that he really liked, and I do as well.
The scratchbuilt dilapidated barn. This is one of Sherrel's favorites as well.
07-26-20 005.JPG

07-26-20 004.JPG

07-26-20 002.JPG

07-26-20 003.JPG

The billboard installers.
07-26-20 006.JPG

The beer delivery driver.
07-26-20 007.JPG

And the faded red horse barn.
07-26-20 009.JPG

Some or you regulars have seen most of this stuff before, please excuse the repeats.

Tom O - Everything about your workbench photo reminds me of my train shed. Empty boxes underneath, the "unmanned loco" sign, files and scale rules laying about. the upside down container of Aleenes Tacky Glue and what appears to be a iPod docking station. Just a whole lot neater though.
A plastics extrusion plant as well. Not often modeled. Here's mine.
05-02-18 002.JPG

08-16-18 008.001.JPG

Sherrel - ATSF management wasn't particularly fond of the SD45's either. Fuel guzzlers and considerable maintenance! They had 90 of them and most lasted until the merger.
Curt - Nice score on the coaling tower. Price was right as well. Looks good.
Justin - Looks like a nice haul on the GP30's.
Joe - I am too far inland for hurricanes to do more than just send rain our way. This one appears to be moving west toward the Big Bend area instead of north. Possibility of some scattered light rain here from the outer bands around Tuesday.
Garry - Best wishes on your upcoming surgeries.
James - Good luck in the tournament.

I do not get involved with Facebook, so I missed the brouhaha regarding ST. Shame on those who flamed the company. How often have we been able to see a new manufacturer in the model railroad field?

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, happy Sunday! 81° currently at the Rutgers U. weather station along the Manasquan River. Going up to 93° today, which has the weather hypesters foaming at the mouth for another heat wave with astronomical heat index temperatures. Yesterday was 92°, but since they were off doing weekend stuff, no one noticed.

If TV ratings for all these socially conscious sporting events drastically decline, will the networks, leagues and owners take notice, or will they just continue with their "new normal"?

I personally don't understand flame wars conducted within the model railroad community. Just another method of showing how intolerant and uncivil we have become since the internet allowed us to assume numerous identities.

I need to finish repairs to the door between the mud room and garage this afternoon. Perhaps, after that, I can make some time for the model railroad.

Everyone, enjoy your Sunday!

Ivy City - September 1979.jpg

Ivy City EH in DC, September 1979

Good morning gang.
Change of plans yesterday. Pressure washing was postponed due to helper doing other stuff. I did manage to install the nerf bars and all 4 mudflaps on the Colorado. Then afterwards cleanind the garage and moving tool boxes I pulled something. I finished up, took a shower and an hour later I could hardly walk. Taking it easy today. This getting older stuff sucks!
About the Scaletrains coupler excuse , other companies manage to factory install KD couplers on their rolling stock at a better price point. If Spring Mills Depot can do it on their highly detailed, Chinese assembled rolling stock , so could Scaletrains.
Just sayin....

Goodness ... things are busy around here yesterday and today?
Morning All ... warming up out here again - those mid 80 days were just to sucker us in for whats coming.
88 they say for today and into the 90's tomorrow and the 100's after that!

Hi there FLO -- Eggs up for me with hash browns, patti sausage, and sourdough toast - lots of Willie's salsa on the side? Has Patrick given us a taste of his salsa yet??

Thanks for all the comments on the RS-1 -- I had suspected that due to the bidding, plus - I asked the guy (who hadn't a clue) if it had Japan on the bottom? I wasn't sure but I thought that if it were made in Japan that it would be a Kato - am I correct there? BTW - he replied back that it said China on the bottom.

JOE - Glad to see your not complaining today (except just crabby, LOL) hope you are feeling better - like to know if my "widdle" prayer helped in the least. Really neat night photo you just plopped there on us!

WILLIE - That barn is "the cat's meow"! To me, it looks "contest material"! Actually, most everything you do is great but some just really stand out. I am not really sure but I think the FRISCO's SD-45s were hard on the track especially in the mountains of Southern MO and Northern AR. FRISCO seemed to shy away from the 12 wheel power preferring to stay with the GP series of motive power.

JAMES - Good hunting fishing tomorrow! Been a Packer fan since the early 60's! I almost ditched my caps, sweaters, jackets, etc last year when Rogers made some comment that I felt he should have just stayed out of - then when Farve piped in about Kalperdick this year - drove the nail in the coffin.

OK .. Managed to fill three trash containers with trimmings - my two plus the neighbors - still have about one more full that I will get to next week. I got hurts where I didn't know I had joints ... my own fault that I have become so outta shape ... and that's a lot to do with just my lousy attitude. JOE -- Think I am joining you in the "crabby room"!

Hope all have a good day - The Spousal Unit says I got to do out taxes for last year - so you know where I'll be for the next few days.

Last edited:
Good morning from the deck in Wisconsin. 73 for the dew point, which the weather lady says means it is very uncomfortable. At 6:15 on the deck it was already 75 and no breeze. 4 hours later the wind is just blowing around hot air, no cooling effect. The spousal unit has the a/c set at 75f degrees and inside it seems cold!

willie, thanks about the bench, seldom is it this clean.

Great pictures from all and I have enjoyed the discussions since I joined the start of the month, thank you.

I started 3 weeks ago to scratch build this and then decided yesterday the kit is now in stock at Walthers, the LHS can have it Wednesday and overall this one is less expensive to buy Then build. Also, I have not yet discovered the secret to building convincing tanks. This fits the last open space in the Paper Mill. Why do I still have a space? Because until this past week the kit has been out of stock at Walthers and some other places had a premium price on there stock. My LHS buys through Walthers. Enjoy the day. TomO

68801336-A56B-4FF4-8B45-52FBF9558CE4.jpeg

Ok, I cleaned the modeling bench some more as I will be doing some selling of rolling stock and I generally take pictures in front of the curve in the Paper Mill but today’s it will be at the bench. All the BN (3) and 13 WC pieces will be attempted to be sold. It would be nice to keep the bench area like this but I am a realist. TomO

FBE84F2F-3F68-4982-8802-035A986C47C8.jpeg
9FC66433-1297-424C-BB0F-88970B4A56B7.jpeg

GARRY - I did not plan to skip over you! I'll send you a "widdle" prayer too! I wish you well on your eye surgery tomorrow.

On another note my Spouse has her long-awaited surgery tomorrow. It has been postponed already two times and they will postpone it again with another rise in the Corona cases. I hope they will go ahead with it - she is "primed" and I am hoping that she will come thru it OK.
I have a CT Scan on Tuesday for the heart/aneurysm work which I trust will finish up that end for me?
I have certainly become very tired of anything medical!

like to know if my "widdle" prayer helped in the least.

Sherrel: "widdle prayers" always help. keep 'em coming. They come back at ya a hundred fold.

On another note my Spouse has her long-awaited surgery tomorrow. It has been postponed already two times and they will postpone it again with another rise in the Corona cases. I hope they will go ahead with it - she is "primed" and I am hoping that she will come thru it OK.

Sherrel: "widdle prayers" and best wishes for her.

I have a CT Scan on Tuesday for the heart/aneurysm work which I trust will finish up that end for me?
I have certainly become very tired of anything medical!

Sherrel:
You have sure had your share of probing and procedures. That's for sure. OTOH you're still here with us, so...but I get it. I'm already getting tired of my "recovery", which only scratches the surface compared to your experience.

bout the Scaletrains coupler excuse , other companies manage to factory install KD couplers on their rolling stock at a better price point. If Spring Mills Depot can do it on their highly detailed, Chinese assembled rolling stock , so could Scaletrains.
Just sayin....

Karl: I was thinking Tangent, but you're right. Their reason, is just justification of the way they do business. It;s still up to the consumer to decide whether or not the coupler is a deal breaker. There was a time when Kadee designed specialty couplers to allow easy retrofits on products with unusual characteristics...AHM - Rivarossi, Stewart and Life Like E-8s come to mind. I guess Kadee doesn't consider that a viable line to offer either, leaving it up to the modeler to innovate.

Tom O: Still a bench that is too well lighted and much too uncluttered. Your Paper Mill is very well done.

Good morning. Been AWOL again. Been out working in the shop trying to get my last few items taken care of. The fuel with no lead and now containing alcohol has been driving me nuts. The cars going up for sale are remaining dead stock. If the buyer wants to upgrade them, more power top them, but many do want them as they were manufactured. My keepers have all had the fuel systems upgraded to stainless steel to deal with the alcohol in the fuel and the engines have finally had all of the valves and valve seats converted to hardened steel to deal with the unleaded fuel. My son came over yesterday to help me with the '54 Pontiac. I can handle a regular head on a 6 or V8, but the head on the straight eight in the Pontiac was a bit too much for me to handle alone. It's back on and all that needs to be done is a tune up on it. Also changed the oil on 4 of my cars, my son's Subaru and even the garden tractor.

James - I will have to agree with you on sports. With all of the political opinions of the players I have also had it. It's sure nice to have the additional time spent watching sports to use on other things.

FB_IMG_1595769062912.jpg

Willie - I sure enjoy seeing all of the small details you've been adding to your towns. Excellent work. Those new Scale Trains locomotives are beautiful. Wish they made something I could use.

Curt - Hope that you are finally able to get a hold of your new doctor. I am impressed with your benchwork. You have done a lot of planning and it's going to be so much easier to get the wiring done without having to crawl under the layout. Nice work. Like the coaling tower.

Louis - That menu you posted a few days back was interesting. Reminds me of when we were still living in Miami and had season tickets for the Dolphins at $145 each for the season on the 45 yard line. Nice photos.

TLOC - Enjoying your photos a lot. Excellent work.

Garry - Really like those Great Northern FA units.

Joe - The photo of the train at the Red Bank station is a winner.

Justin - I keep some of that LaBelle oil both in the train room and upstairs on the work bench, along with some Teflon grease. Enjoy those locomotives.

I did get over to the club last night again but I sure didn't like the bullshit of having to wear a mask as the Museum told the club we had to do. I have a copy of out dipshit governors mandate and it says that if we ARE NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC masks are not required. If I wear my glasses, they get fogged up and if I take them off, I can't read the Digitrax controller. Here are a few photos. One guy brought over a really nice AmCrap train. I have this thing about AmTrak because they dropped the southern route across Montana that we used to take to Chicago when I was a kid, but I do like passenger trains.

thumbnail_20200725_202202.jpg

thumbnail_20200725_202211.jpg

thumbnail_20200725_202229.jpg

One member also brought a nice NP Challenger.

thumbnail_20200725_194922.jpg

It was hard trying to take photos as we had 7 trains running at the same time and you couldn't lollygag around or there would be a wreck. Here's my F units pulling a 58 car train around the layout.

thumbnail_20200711_193849.jpg

A few of the members hadn't seen the A-B-A units before because I normally ran on week days. They couldn't believe the pulling power of the three units.

Have to go move some rain birds. Later

Hiya again gang!

For Garry and for Sherrel's spousal unit, "widdle" prayers for both of you, I hope you respective surgeries go well.

Tom O, I agree with Boris, too well lighted and clean, but what happened to the boxcar above the workbench?? Some crew is gonna catch heck for that one!

Found a few Photo CDs from years back, thought I'd share a few pics here.

Meyersdale PA, November 1999,
the Salisbury Viaduct on the old Western Maryland Railway
010_15A (2).jpg

The view from the top, above the B&O mainline east of Sandpatch.

016_9A (2).jpg

A train approaches

014_11A (2).jpg

Passes underneath (100 feet down!)
013_12A (2).jpg

and stretches off into the distance.

I found more too, Harrisburg and Point of Rocks.
Gotta run for now. (or hobble as the case may be)

Thanks, GUYS!
Well "FuggedAboutIt" - We just received a call that the Spousal surgery has been put off until Friday when they will try again! I was really thinking/hoping that the third time would be the charm - now I am going to have to suffer along with her for several more days - it's been 3 months!

The problem is that the recovery ICU is the same as is used for Covid patients - they have to keep a certain # of beds available. According to the surgeon - they are very isolated from each other.
(I HOPE)

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started with some chores this morning then started attaching the plywood I purchased the other day. It's a pretty slow process. I carry a piece upstairs, mark it for cutting, carry it to the garage, cut it, carry it back upstairs, mount it, and verify it's level. The picture is about 4 hours work and I'm beat. I'll work on it again tomorrow. I probably have 2-3 more days with plywood work.

Thank you for the likes for the coaling tower.

Garry- Good luck with your eye surgery tomorrow. Great layout scene.

Joe- Nice pictures.

Willie- Great layout scenes.

Sherrel- I've been in the crabby room for several years. No reason to leave. Good luck to you and your wife. You should tell her she will have to quarentine in the garage for 2 weeks. I'm sure she will be totally good with it! :D

TomO- Very nice scene and workbench area.

Chet- Thank you. They're trying it again tomorrow at 0830. Do you mean Amcrash? Great club shots.

Karl- Great pictures. Do you know how tall the viaduct is?

20200726_133214.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon Everyone....HOT and HUMID here in this part of Wisconsin.

Just home from the cabin after an hot and event full weekend.

On Friday, we used the Ceramic Finish on Cathy's 2002 Mits Spyder and what a polish job. A foot deep shine!!!! Then on Saturday we decided to drive down to a property we own that's a 28 mile trip from the cabin. We parked my truck at a self storage building where we keep the Cathy's vehicle since at the end of the day we intended to put Cathy's vehicle back into the storage unit and drive back to the cabin with my truck.

On the way down the to land many of the vehicle's warning lights came on and then off and when we got to the land the car stopped dead. No electric power. We have AAA and after being placed on hold for over 10 minutes, a recording told us we were in line and the wait time would be 20 minutes. (Going to cancel AAA tomorrow.)

The land is in a remote area off the main highway and only two people live along this side road. It was 91 degrees and the heat index in triple digits so sitting on the side of the road unprotected was terrible. We called 911 and they were useless to help us, but on the second call to 911 they gave us a telephone number for a towing company that the Sheriff's Department uses for tows. The Sheriff dispatcher never offered to send a patrol unit for a welfare check in light of the extreme temperatures and humidity and our being without shelter.

A guy who lives in a home adjoining our property stopped and offered to drive me back to get by truck. He had a new Shelby mustang...great ride.
With the tow truck on its way, the guy and I headed back in his Mustang to get my truck and then I would return to get Cathy who is now standing alone in the wilderness. (Cathy and I both have CC licenses, but carried no firearms this trip, the one time that being armed made a lot of sense since I left Cathy alone along side of the road in a remote location.)

The trip back to my truck is a 42 mile round trip. I made it back to Cathy and by then the vehicle was hooked up to the tow truck and we then hauled it back to where we store the vehicle. The tow company put a charge in the battery enough for Cathy to be able to drive the vehicle into the storage unit. Great tow company and the operator helped us on the roadside and at the storage unit.

Over a two hundred dollar tow job and $30 for the trip to retrieve my truck.

We dropped off the keys at a local repair shop and we'll call them tomorrow and get them the details and the repair started. My guess is that the charging system failed in vehicle. The vehicle is a 2002 model in showroom condition.

We learned a couple of lessons from this eventful trip.....

1. AAA membership service appears to be useless for prompt Road Side Service.
2. Always carry water in a cooler when traveling in hot weather.
3. Even with Cathy's cell phone, having mine as a second phone would help especially as the phone battery level drops.

And now back to model railroading..................my MR&T caboose arrived and the caboose is a Switching Platform which adds to its interest. This caboose by Atlas is hard to find since its limited release several years ago. I have a MR&T locomotive and several of MR&T pieces of rolling stock. I ordered this afternoon a book from Kalmbach about the history and planning of the MR&T layout at the Kalmbach office headquarters.

Tomorrow I head down to the cool basement and work on the railroad. Several things planned, but I want to do some cleaning first and then the projects.

That's all for now.....

Greg

################

1595791651486.png

Hiya again gang!

For Garry and for Sherrel's spousal unit, "widdle" prayers for both of you, I hope you respective surgeries go well.

Tom O, I agree with Boris, too well lighted and clean, but what happened to the boxcar above the workbench?? Some crew is gonna catch heck for that one!

Found a few Photo CDs from years back, thought I'd share a few pics here.

Meyersdale PA, November 1999,
the Salisbury Viaduct on the old Western Maryland Railway
View attachment 115581

The view from the top, above the B&O mainline east of Sandpatch.

View attachment 115582
A train approaches

View attachment 115583
Passes underneath (100 feet down!)
View attachment 115584
and stretches off into the distance.

I found more too, Harrisburg and Point of Rocks.
Gotta run for now. (or hobble as the case may be)

Great pictures everyone!

The baby Hi-cube is a BB from the 70’s and may have been part of the 1st bunch of boxcars I purchased. I am using that as part of my dumpster weathering thread at the MRH forums as we were trying to imitate dents using canopy glue. Not working out so well, actually a failure but a good experiment. TomO

F09B2912-1369-4F78-868B-5F63B076A5E5.jpeg

7961D6A6-C5A4-41B5-AD26-7616042C527D.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks, GUYS!
Well "FuggedAboutIt" - We just received a call that the Spousal surgery has been put off until Friday when they will try again! I was really thinking/hoping that the third time would be the charm - now I am going to have to suffer along with her for several more days - it's been 3 months!

The problem is that the recovery ICU is the same as is used for Covid patients - they have to keep a certain # of beds available. According to the surgeon - they are very isolated from each other.
(I HOPE)

Ill still say a "widdle prayer" for the Mrs. Sherrel, she married you didn't she? ;):D😄😁😃😀😆

I use a tube on the end of a high wattage soldering iron to make dents and other defects on rolling stock. Sometimes just hiold the soldering gun or iron near the plasttic body, once heated the sides of cars can be pushed in using a of all things a pencil and the eraser head.

Greg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back