Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why the MLB TV is not a great value. OTOH, Cablevision's sports surcharge is close to$20 a month, plus you need the sports package, another $12.95, to access NBCSN, NHL Network, and Fox Sports 2. If I had not cut the cable, (except internet), I would be paying over $300 / month for "Value" plus sports. They even surcharge the broadcast channels I get over the air. I'm pretty much done with paying for sports, once the MLB season ends.

Mike, you would definitely appreciate this... In my living room and dining room, I am in the New York Broadcast zone, so the Mets and Yankees are blacked out. Same if I stream over Roku. However, In my family room and on my patio, (my notebook), I'm in the Philadelphia zone, and the Phillies games are blacked out, and I get the Yankees and Mets... Here's the catch, everything feeds off of my wifi router. Go figure. Must have something to do with GPS tracking, although neither the pad nor the laptop, nor the TV have GPS to my knowledge.

Blackout rules are stupid. In Upper NY state, where my son lives, all NY Teams (Sabres, Islanders, Ragers and Yes, the Devils) are blacked out. He's a couple hundred miles away from any venue. (Buffalo teams claim the market). However, Ottawa, a mere 38 miles distant, is available. Here, the Devils, plus the Ragers, islanders, and Flyers are all blacked out. Except for the Devils, and borderline the Ragers, (Spelled that way on purpose), they are outside the 75 mile distant rule, so it has to be based strictly on TV Markets.

Guess I'm beating a dead horse, again, but since the seasons are either starting tomorrow, or resuming on August 1, it is somewhat in my face.
And I'm not even factoring in any political expression, by either the performers or the networks.

Joe- Better than the mass blackout that folks in Central/East Iowa face. Twins, Cards, Brew Crew & both Chicago teams. Western IA blacked out from Rox & Royals in place of CHI & Mke.

It always bothered me when the give huge discounts like 8K, either they gave you a discount, or they were really putting the screws to someone else who pays full boat.
I hate the industry that I work in.
Karl, I doubt your industry is much different than any other. I have been telling my kids and now my grandsons since they were old enough to understand “once you walk out my front door, do not expect anyone or anything to be fair. life is not fair”

In defense of Koons, I am a valuable customer. My family, friends, acquaintances and I have bought close to two dozen cars from Koons. Not to mention all the parts and accessories we have bought through my account with the parts department over these many years. I keep a few of my salesmen’s business cards in my wallet. Anybody I encounter that is looking for a car I give them one.

At Koons Cheverolet they know me well; you want my attention “show me the money”. I do not jump on the first offer I get. I am never in a hurry to buy anything.

My kids are not like me, they are always in a hurry. They deal with the first salesmen they see. They do not get the deals I get because they do not have the patience, flexibility, or loyalty. Although my son is beginning to catch on. He got a great deal on his top of the line Volvo sedan he recently bought.

When I said hello to my salesmen, he said he had great deals on the Equinox, I told him “we may not have the same idea about what is great” and we were off.

I liked the Blazer even better than the Equinox, but they had an abundance of Equinox models and only a few Blazers. They did not offer me as much off the price for the Blazer. I took the best deal they could offer.

Last edited:

No politics involved with my no longer watching MLB on TV, it has gotten to be too slow a game. NHL hockey any day any time. I make wire armatures trees and cut 100” HO scale pulp sticks during games. If I had MLB on I could build and finish a small ISL during a game. Louis, you post some great pictures.

TomO
TomO
You hit the nail on the head. MLB games used to be 2 hours, now they are 3+hours, even 4 hours! They are losing fans with the slow pace of games.

I often record games on the DVR so I can fast forward. I am tired of seeing hitters step out of the box to adjust their batting gloves and pitchers walk off the mound to look around. Play ball for God sake!

And some members of the Moderation team seem to be some the worst political post offenders...
Well -- In order to somewhat clear the air ... I was looking at it as a humorous offshoot to the original as several members were talking about Baseball and other Sports!
If you feel that it has crossed a line -- you will not hurt my feelings if it disappears, or if you feel that I should remove it .. send me a PM and I will do it .. no sweat!

1595498700908.png

Morning all,

Well I've started the slow rebuild of the backups. I'd forgotten that I had ALL the data in regards to ALL backups on that server (location, dates etc.) Nothing like living on the edge......

Brought tomatoes in to work this morning as there are beginning to be too many. My son brought in nearly a 5 gallon bucket full of of softball sized nearly ripe tomatoes. Way too many to deal with at this moment, so pass them on to co-workers. I've had so many at this point, I'm beginning to poop ketchup.

Not much on trains, however I'm thinking I need to take the grandson to Dreshler, NE this weekend. Just for something to do. My luck they'd be closed. But the ride would get him (and maybe his sister) out of the house for a bit.

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 75°. What happened to summer? The high yesterday was only 93° and that's what it's supposed to be like for the next ten days. Rain never happened yesterday as predicted, so the weatherman is predicting it again for today. Same as yesterday, the closest rain is in Arkansas 200 miles away.
I am continuing to chop up grasshoppers with the mower. Yesterday my neighbor's son Marty, decided that he wasn't waiting on dad to mow my hayfield.
07-23-20 013.JPG

Must be because the hay mower is not attached to an air conditioned tractor. Dad is 77 years old.
07-23-20 012.JPG

It looks like it's going to be a good crop, and if it rains anytime in the next two weeks, we'll get another cutting in September.
Today is the weekly trek into Denton for groceries and beer. I think that all three grandkids are coming tomorrow through Sunday, so I'll need kid-friendly extras this week. I have My wife has an order ready for pickup at Home Depot that I need to remember to get while I am there. New blinds for one of the bedrooms. Spent time yesterday in Gainesville getting the new license tags and handicap parking permit for the car. Good to go for another year. Handicap permit has to be gotten in person, and license is in the same office, otherwise the license plates could have been done by mail or online. The dollar that I saved didn't pay for the gas however.

Looking for something different for breakfast Flo; how about a bear claw and OJ with a side of bacon.

Thanks for the reactions and likes yesterday: Sherrel, Justin, Tom O, Louis, Jerome, Karl, Joe, Chet, Patrick, Phil, Tom.

My creative juices are temporarily in remission out in the train shed. The quick succession of projects has my mind worn out. So the CUP is on hold, partly because I have run out of structures that I can use there. I have used 24 so far and could use another 8-10 to complete it. I brought out the unpainted figures to see if that ignited a spark, but not yet. So I cleaned up the shed for a while and ran trains. I am needing to add a couple more shelves to the underside of the layout, and I already have the lumber, just need to clear stuff out first. There's also some infrastructure projects to do. I still need to complete the backdrop in some areas, and I have much more that needs the blue paint; I also have all of the materials that I need and that would help in clearing some of the clutter underneath. Then there's the under the upper deck lighting that still needs to be installed in some places, and the lighting buss for structures, and trees to be made, figures to be painted and installed. So there is no shortage of projects.
Coming back to the LED lighting that I posted about yesterday, I have some Miniatronics bulbs and resistors. I am slightly confused by the [lack of] instructions on the package, and their website is no help. Maybe I am just having a brain fart and it will come eventually.
07-23-20 002.JPG

I am assuming that the 4-9 volts and the 10-16 volts are in reference to incoming voltage, and not the outgoing. Anyone here that can offer information? My lighting buss is 12v.
Meanwhile I ran across another pair of pictures from the recently completed layout clean up project. It is a disused switch tower that has had its stairway removed and the windows boarded up. If I recall correctly, this is an AM models kit that my grandson bought me about ten years ago. He was three years old at the time and didn't have much money!
07-23-20 008.JPG

07-23-20 009.JPG

Louis - Now that you have saved so much $$$ on the new vehicle, I have a small bridge in my neighborhood that I will be willing to sell to you. Hardly used one lane bridge about 25' long. Nice scenery on the sides. Guardrails included. Cannot be moved but I will rename it in your honor. Make a serious offer.
Ray - I meant to comment about the really nice scenery in the MRL photos that you have been re-posting. Shows what a nice place Chet lives in, for a couple of months a year!
Justin - Sorry that I cannot answer your question regarding the axle gears. I just always use Athearn ones because they are readily available.
Guy - I have not used a laser-jet printer because I don't have one. I believe that they might be a better choice. I use my cheapo ink-jet and overspray the signs with dull coat to prevent bleeding and fading.
Karl - I am with you on the Hebrew National Hot Dogs. Grilled, broiled or boiled. Especially with kraut.

Everybody have a great day. I am headed to the pool for a bit before going grocery shopping.

Good morning gang!
Tree guy came and took out 5 60-70 ft white pines yesterday that ran alongside the property, coming back to do the stumps today. Wow it looks hugely different out there! Several of them were getting thin in the needle department, beginning to succumb to the blight that is affecting white pines in the east. I figured it was better to take them out now, than to have one fall on the house later. Same crew also took out some trees on my next door neighbors house yesterday.

Great Minds Think Alike.

As I said........ ;)

I'm beginning to poop ketchup.

Some things are better left unsaid..🤐

time to work some more....L8ter

Good morning y'all. For those of you that care, Baseball opens today. Hockey resumes on Saturday, with at least two Saturday and one Sunday game on NBC (over the air). For an additional $5, NHL TV wil stream a limited number of "Play - in" games. So far no credit for existing customers who paid for and didn't get 20 or so regular season games because of the plague. (Expletive Deleted) these people!

I have Therapy today, then three days off before the next one on Monday. With some limited homework to keep me somewhat limber. I should get a few decoders installed, and maybe figure out how to use JMRI to program. Should be fun, eh? :rolleyes: it will be a couple of weeks, until I'm able tocrawl underneath and wire the buss and connect the booster.

I'm still waiting for tomatoes, have some nice sized green ones, but nothing is ready. meanwhile the damn deer keep munching away at the new growth...Did I mention I hate wildlife?

Race Street 1969.jpg

Race Street (Philadelphia) in 1969. Note the N8 Mai train cabin car, and the extensive amount of express cars in the yard. There was still considerable Mail and Express business back then. 4902 was painted light blue for the Golden Spike Centennial. Most equipment had not yet been relettered for the Penn Central.

Acela II #2102 on Gunpowder  River brdge 7-19-20.jpg

Second generation Acela train Southbound on the Gunpowder River Bridge, MD 7/19/20. Photo by George Pitz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back