Custom Finishing Trackmobile?

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
So, I've got to ask, does anyone know if Walthers part number "247-7075, Track Mobile Model 4850", made by Custom Finishing is powered, or unpowered? I ask because "247-7025 Maintenance-of-Way (MOW) / Work Train Equipment (Unpainted Metal Kit) -- Trackmobile Model 4500 Rail Car Moving Vehicle (Unpowered)" is clearly unpowered... But I think I need the larger one. It doesn't matter all that much as the SD40-2 & GP38 can do the switching with the trackmobile there for show, but if its powered, all the better.

As far as I know, none of the Custom Finishing kits are powered. I have the Trackmobile, assembled it a few years ago. There isn't really any room in which to place a motor if one wanted to.

I didn't think I knew which Custom Finishing Trackmobile I have, but it says "4500" right there on the cab!

If my memory serves me correctly.Doesn't OMI make a powered track mobile in HO ? It could be another maker though, I remember reading about it in MR last month or the month before.

Best I could come up with...

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

Nothing Custom Finishing is powered. They're expensive because they contain dozens of individually cast parts. They take a lot of time and effort to produce.

Yup just checked the net. It is OMI and its on sale for a whooping $249.00. Heres a picture of the track mobile link by OMI.

http://www.uncledavesbrass.com/OMI-01461-TRACKMOBILE-4850-F8.jpg

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
DRSC
Yeah I was initially looking at that, but, lets see, $250+ to $50-$60... That $200 spare could buy me an AC6000CW. The powered part is not that essential, as I said, there IS the GP38 & SD40-2 there too. I think they use the track mobile to spot the empties for loading. I can't imagine it moving a fairly big cut of loaded cement hoppers!

if you really wanted to get ambitious about a trackmobile that runs and feel like doing some fabricating. Remember the really little RC cars that Radio Shack used to sell....cant remember the name of them but the motors in those things are removable and changable....take the motor from one of those things and use it in the track mobile.....might take two of those motors one for each axle....wont pull much but the real track mobiles wont either. Just a thought.

if you really wanted to get ambitious about a trackmobile that runs and feel like doing some fabricating. Remember the really little RC cars that Radio Shack used to sell....cant remember the name of them but the motors in those things are removable and changable....take the motor from one of those things and use it in the track mobile.....might take two of those motors one for each axle....wont pull much but the real track mobiles wont either. Just a thought.
Thats how the Grandt line 25 ton is powered.

few months ago in Model Railroader I saw a company was coming out with a track mobile. Both Dc and DCC. As I recall DCC was about $90. I'll look for it, and let you know who is making it. Many different road names too i think

Back