Thanks Grande Man

A couple of weeks ago you posted about your trip to the Great Smokey Mountain Railroad. It sounded so nice, we decided to go ourselves last week. Took the excursion train from Bryson City to the Nantahala Gorge. A four and a half hour trip. Just great. The scenery was magnificent. Now i want to go back in the fall. In Bryson City, there is a very nice Lionel Museum with a good size collection as well as a Lionel 24' by 45' operating layout.Also went over to Spencer, NC, to the Transportation Museum, which has been mentioned a couple of times on the forums. Well worth the visit. They also have a 25 minute excursion trip. Ours was powered by Southern #6133, an FP-7. She looks great in that paint scheme. Here's a couple of pictures.
ATTACH]

GSMRR2015.jpg

GSMRR2013.jpg

gsmrr3002.jpg

Thanks again for pointing me towards a great week.
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like ya'll had a great trip Tom. The pics are fantastic! GSMRR and the local area is a fun experience for sure. It's nice to know ya'll enjoyed it as much as we did.:cool:

It was a fun trip. I'm pretty sure we will be going back. Next time, I would like to take the train from Dillsboro as well. This is what I love about these forums, and the internet in general. You find out about things that you would otherwise never even know existed. Have a great Memorial Day holiday everyone.
Tom

A couple of weeks ago you posted about your trip to the Great Smokey Mountain Railroad. It sounded so nice, we decided to go ourselves last week. Took the excursion train from Bryson City to the Nantahala Gorge. A four and a half hour trip. Just great. The scenery was magnificent. Now i want to go back in the fall. In Bryson City, there is a very nice Lionel Museum with a good size collection as well as a Lionel 24' by 45' operating layout.Also went over to Spencer, NC, to the Transportation Museum, which has been mentioned a couple of times on the forums. Well worth the visit. They also have a 25 minute excursion trip. Ours was powered by Southern #6133, an FP-7. She looks great in that paint scheme. Here's a couple of pictures.
ATTACH]

GSMRR2015.jpg

GSMRR2013.jpg

gsmrr3002.jpg

Thanks again for pointing me towards a great week.
Tom

nice pics, and report. I went to the NC transportation Museum in '05, the trip was behind a switcher. Got to go ride in the cab, cost more, but well worth it.

It was a fun trip. I'm pretty sure we will be going back. Next time, I would like to take the train from Dillsboro as well. This is what I love about these forums, and the internet in general. You find out about things that you would otherwise never even know existed. Have a great Memorial Day holiday everyone.
Tom

While you're there next time, if you want to do some railfanning, check out the Salisbury wye and the Amtrak Station. At the station I caught an unpatched SP SD40M-2 last year.

You can still take cab rides, and I think it's only $10.00 more. Far cheaper than any other place I've seen. But I wanted to stay with my wife as she has very limited vision. By the way, entrance to the museum is free, with train rides costing $6.00 and turntable rides $1.00. Very, very reasonable I thought. I enjoyed their other exhibits such as the antique cars as well. The grounds are large, but it is a nice walk. And they do have a free shuttle for those who might have a problem walking long distances. I was surprised that there were not many folks there. I think it's kind of an unknown gem. With the restoration work going on, it's only going to get better and better.

Thanks Nathan, I didn't know about the wye or the Amtrak Station. I did catch some frieght traffic on the main that runs behind the museum.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom,
the frieght traffic in the yard where the trip goes is the old Salisbury Yard, if I remember it is called Linwood Yard?...

The traffic there is less than the new yard.(Don't ask me where that is)

Back