Status
Not open for further replies.
Futuristic Photos of Streamlined Art Deco Trains from the 1930s

Jun 20, 2018 Alex .A
1592389225392.png

Futuristic Photos of Streamlined Art Deco Trains from the 1930s

Jun 20, 2018 Alex .A
View attachment 114445
The London, Midlands & Scottish Rlwy's (L.M.S.) 4-6-2 Pacific, Coronation Scott. Inaugurated in 1937 for the Coronation of King George 6th, in 1937. The train was the fastest, till overtaken by the Mallard A4 of the L.N.E.R. This red liveried version is of the last in 1939. The one produced for the coronation was blue. The 1939 train that toured the US even had telephones by the tables so that passengers could phone the kitchen cars and order food to be sent to them.
1592393916883.png

Here it is, during that trip (the little one on the left. Note the fitting of a H/light and bell to comply with US rules. Getty Images.
1592395357747.png

Last edited:
Morning all,

Time for coffee this morning, Thanks Francine.

Daughter had stage 1 ovarian cancer and they are confident they got it all. That said, they have her scheduled for a course of chemo as a just in case we missed something. That process starts next week.

I had some train time last evening. I got the remainder of the table joints taped.

Before:
20200616_153010.jpg

After:

20200616_162707.jpg

I know I still have a small hole to fill in the gap, but overall the layout will me smoother because I did it. One note to myself is that I should have done the tape before I laid the track. I'll post the additional pictures on my build thread.

On to the next thing.......

Good Morning All. Another muggy daybreak here at partly cloudy, no wind and 73°, humidity while lower at 78% is still a bit high for us. Weatherman is hedging his bets by adding possible rain in the forecast beginning Sunday. I hope that he is correct for a change. The pool was at 82° when I got in a few minutes ago. That was quite refreshing.

That breakfast burrito a few days ago was great Francine. I'll have another one this morning, just eggs, sausage and cheese, skip the potatoes and bring a healthy portion of salsa.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday everyone; Louis, Sherrel, Chad, Jerome, Karl, Patrick, Guy, Chet, Curt, Ken, Garry, Joe, Rick.

I got slightly sidetracked in the train shed yesterday. While I did add some ground cover in a few spots, I mainly worked on these two buildings.
06-17-20 002.JPG

The entry insets were fit in snug to the top of the opening, thereby leaving a noticeable gap at the bottom. I removed them both, cleaned everything up and reinstalled them flush at the bottom.
06-17-20 006.JPG

I had originally thought that this kit was a Heljan kit, and that may have once been its origin, I found the original box which indicated that it was a Con-Cor kit by the time that I purchased it in the 90's.
06-17-20 003.JPG

I still had all of the original parts and I painted and cut out many of them.
06-17-20 004.JPG

Here it is after refitting the entry's, chimneys and the roof coping.
06-17-20 007.JPG

I also started on that outside stairwell, but it is back in the paint booth right now. I'll still be using the LH structure as a ladies dress shop, but a dry goods store (as originally intended) doesn't particularly fit the RH one. I'm thinking a bar or night club would be a better fit.

Pro-sports, too much money? That’s capitalism for you. The talent the top guys have is in short supply and the demand is high!
Talent??? Johnny Manziel comes to mind.
The players are earning the money and risking injury, they should get paid.
It's a school, not a freakin' job! They're supposedly getting a free education if they take advantage of it. The whole system is screwed up. and the fans and sponsors are just as much a part of the problem as the schools.

Chet - At 4.5% ABV, Lone Star isn't particularly potent stuff. It's more like a diuretic.
Patrick - Great news about your daughter. Prayers and best wishes for her and family going forward.

Everyone have a great day.

Good morning America, how are ya? Got back from Illinois and got the U-haul truck unloaded and returned yesterday, then mowed the yard. My I-phone said I had walked six miles yesterday. I believe it. The truck was packed with mostly my woodworking tools, as well as mechanics tools, my welder and 330 cu ft argon bottle, a yard swing and patio table and chairs, $400 worth of concrete patio blocks and floating piers and our Can Am Spyder motorcycle. We also found the other half of our Bradford Pear tree had fallen over, so that will be a top priority to get cut up and hauled away before we can get our motorcycle out for a ride. I started it up for the first time in 8 months Saturday to load it in the truck and it fired up immediately..............Stabil gas treatment is a wonderful thing. I haven't had time to keep up with the happenings on here but hope to get caught up somewhat before a whole week goes by. Hope all has been well for everyone and I'll be back later. Got to go, there is a $%&*ton of work for me to do! Stay safe and six feet away!

Another day, and… more unbelievable stuff in the news? Real life truly is stranger than fiction!

Louis: That's because some of it may be fiction...:rolleyes:

Another day of purging stuff that offends me from my devices...pretty soon, there will be no reason to own the devices. :rolleyes:

Today, I'm supposed to be in self quarantine, and bathing with a disinfectant - but they scheduled me for a class at the hospital - what better place to catch something? - Friday, I have to go to both the hospital and the doctor's office - again they make the rules and set the schedule - the brave new Post Covid 19 world of healthcare. :rolleyes:

C&O #1 @ Orange VA (SOU) 09_21_1969.jpg

C&O train #1 at Orange VA, (on the Southern), with B&O power September 21 1969

PC Train # 82 @ Albany August 1969.jpg

PC Train # 82 at Albany - Rensselaer in August 1969

had originally thought that this kit was a Heljan kit, and that may have once been its origin, I found the original box which indicated that it was a Con-Cor kit by the time that I purchased it in the 90's.

Willie: Initially, they were part of the Heljan "Courthouse Square' series imported by Walthers, and based on a Linn Wescott article in Model Railroader. The kits used to come in a perfectly square box that contained a square of simulated brick. I selectively bought some of the structures, but not all of them. None survived. They reappeared as Concor kits, and the fire station became a Walthers Cornerstone kit.

It's a school, not a freakin' job! They're supposedly getting a free education if they take advantage of it. The whole system is screwed up. and the fans and sponsors are just as much a part of the problem as the schools.

Amen! The reality is that our colleges and universities have become focused on being entertainment providers, with sports, performing arts, and other "recreational" activities, rather than in educating our next generation of leaders. This has been going on for some time, and is quite apparent. TV money corrupts, and now the inmates, are running the asylum.

Daughter had stage 1 ovarian cancer and they are confident they got it all. That said, they have her scheduled for a course of chemo as a just in case we missed something.

Patrick:
That's encouraging news.

NYC # 70 @ Syracuse 07_21_1969.jpg

NYC (PC) Train # 70 at Syracuse NY 07/21/1969. Another Pike sized train to model. Note the Flexivans to the right of the Station platform.

Boris & Willie fake news is easy enough to sort through. All you need is to check the story with reputable sources.

College athletes are students in name only at many colleges and universities.

News, Sports, Politics or almost anything, bottom line; We the people must accept responsibility.

Good Day All ... It was 80 yesterday and supposed to be 76 today. At the moment it is low overcast just starting to see breaks in the fog/clouds? Maybe the June gloom is finally showing up - maybe it was afraid of the Virus?

FLO - Please ask Mel for one of his great BLT's with lots of tomatoes and bacon - oh, heck, might as well toss some fries on the plate too!

Not much going on today - I need to make a few calls and try and determine if my neighbor and I are going to try and do some carpenter work out on the plateau West of town. I want to do it, but it requires scaffolding and a lot of climbing. I am just not sure that ROD and myself will be able to do it. If we do it will take several weeks!

Boris & Willie fake news is easy enough to sort through. All you need is to check the story with reputable sources.

But how do you know that your "reputable source" is reputable?

Willie, James, JOE, Curt, Chet, Garry, Mikey, GREG, and anyone else who put up photos yesterday and this morning?

They are all great! Nice catch there, JAMES!

PATRICK - Congrats on your daughter's surgery - is the Chemo pills? They will/might make her feel like crap - and the feelings will hang around several months afterward.

But how do you know that your "reputable source" is reputable?

Sherrel: True, I became a cynic, because "trusted, reputable, sources" turned out to be mostly wrong, and acting in self interest.

Not for nothing, most people do not have time or desire to fact check everything presented as truthful. The expectation is accuracy in reporting.

Speaking of mis-information, Had a "confirmed" appointment for 1300 at the Hospital for the pre-op class. I show up, and get my temperature taken, and go to check in...the guy tells me the class has "just" been cancelled... Apparently, there was some internal mis-communication. 🤬

OK, so we all like to use Walmart as a object of ridicule, sometimes with justification. Well I have to give a Shout Out to the ladies that work at the Vision Center at my local Walmart. Couple weeks ago, my glasses broke, when they fell of the bathroom sink and hit the floor. The place where I bought them was in the Mall and closed due to the Covid 19 shut down. I went to Walmart, and replaced the glasses. They also repaired my original glasses at no charge. Guess who gets to fill the next Rx......

NYC #405 @ South Station  Boston 09_15_1968.jpg

PC Train # 405 preparing to leave South Station, Boston MA on 9/15/1968. This was the Albany connection for a Westbound out of GCT.
NYC # 405 @ Worcester MA 09_15_1968.jpg

Same connection at Worcester, MA, same day.

Last edited:
Sherrel: True, I became a cynic, because "trusted, reputable, sources" turned out to be mostly wrong, and acting in self interest.

Not for nothing, most people do not have time or desire to fat check everything presented as truthful. The expectation is accuracy in reporting.

Speaking of mis-information, Had a "confirmed" appointment for 1300 at the Hospital for the pre-op class. I show up, and get my temperature taken, and go to check in...the guy tells me the class has "just" been cancelled... Apparently, there was some internal mis-communication. 🤬

OK, so we all like to use Walmart as a object of ridicule, sometimes with justification. Well I have to give a Shout Out to the ladies that work at the Vision Center at my local Walmart. Couple weeks ago, my glasses broke, when they fell of the bathroom sink and hit the floor. The place where I bought them was in the Mall and closed due to the Covid 19 shut down. I went to Walmart, and replaced the glasses. They also repaired my original glasses at no charge. Guess who gets to fill the next Rx......

View attachment 114474
PC Train # 405 preparing to leave South Station, Boston MA on 9/15/1968. This was the Albany connection for a Westbound out of GCT.
View attachment 114475
Same connection at Worcester, MA, same day.
One car? Shameful -- Couldn't even pay the fuel with that!
I remember some Frisco's with a baggage, maybe two, and a coach?
SAD!

Good on WM - sometimes things are good. The one next to me is in the top 10 size, volume, and sales. Mostly its been good - move a lot of goods.

I don't recall posting anything about fake news recently, but I realized that there were no reputable sources about 12 years ago; long before those same reputable sources (and pollsters) managed to fumble on the 2016 election result. It's a damn shame that my most trusted source of USA news is the BBC!

Afternoon All,

Today I finished up the right side frame work and 5th module (halfway done). I also decided to start putting up my photos and things on the walls before it becomes problematic later during construction. I got the wall done that my workbench sits against and I'll finish the rest tomorrow.

Thank you for the likes yesterday.

Willie- Nice job fixing the 2 buildings.

Mikey- Great looking load.

Joe- Thank you. Interesting photos.

James- That's some good eating, especially cooking them over a campfire.

Toot- I would have the same issues with our animals. That's why no trains around the Christmas tree.

Louis- Beautiful car. I agree, it's like we live in the twilight zone anymore. It just keeps getting more ridiculous.

Patrick- That is good news. I look forward to seeing your layout progress.

20200617_125710.jpg

20200617_140111.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back