Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 69° this fine morning. Forecast for the next ten days hasn't changed, sunny, hot and dry. Already hit the pool this morning after my daily walk. Speaking of the pool, getting older sure is a hassle now; I not only have to remove clothes, but hearing aids and glasses as well!:(

How about just a single breakfast burrito this morning Flo. Eggs, sausage and cheese only. Leave out the potatoes as I gained two pounds last week!

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the layout progress; Tom, Karl, Jerome, Sherrel, Guy, Phil, Garry, Chad, Curt, David, Louis, Patrick.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I just ran trains, for a couple of hours. That seems to have gotten me out of the scenery funk as I really missed making improvements. So back to it today. That didn't last long thankfully. Meanwhile while running a couple of four axle EMD locos, a very persistent question came to mind.
What are these for?
06-15-20 003.JPG

I think that they're called "axle hangers", but I have no clue to their function. Anyone here have a clue?

Well here's a couple of parting shots of some of the "scenery" around the layout for all of you gentlemen.
06-14-20 018.JPG

06-14-20 008.JPG

Terry - I thought yesterday's comment regarding the Corona was funny. I only serve them with limes, no virus here.
Joe -
Don't dispose of those face masks yet, as the Corona Virus is making a resurgence, and we really haven't started to re-open the economy yet...Apparently, the greatest occurrences are in locations where the population is taking the fewest precautions.
The cases are rising in certain big cities in Texas where 1) More testing is being done, thus uncovering more asymptomatic cases. 2) Cities with large protests where many are not wearing masks. Coincidence or connection? I am not an expert. Even from the beginning, Houston has always had a very low rate of mask wearers from the start of the pandemic. They have been hit particularly hard. My rural county is now up to 23 confirmed cases, 0 deaths and 9 recoveries so far. There are still 25+ counties mostly in West Texas with 0 cases
Curt - The closest that Lone Star gets to my beer fridge are the signs (courtesy Mikey) on the recently built liquor store.😜
06-15-20 001.JPG

06-15-20 002.JPG

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning ....

Allan .... Your COSF looks fabulous on that large club layout.

Sherrel .... Apparently, my joke was insulting to you. I am sorry.

Willie .... The beer signs look good. ... I bet Joe will correctly answer your question. I can see the hangers are with the leaf springs, and so I think it is part of the suspension system. ...

Everybody .... Have a very nice day.

Greetings -- Mostly sunny and breezy with an 83 high today (was 82 yesterday)! The temps have been wonderfully mild - I know we will "pay the piper" later on but for now, it is great.

The RV is stuck at the stealership awaiting parts -- I just may go and get it even though I may lose my place in the queue!
We have canceled one trip and may have to ditch another. The problem is that the auto steps have failed. That was OK for a while as they were stuck in a half-up, half-down position and I had built a set of steps that we took along with us. Unfortunately, the daughter and SIL drove off and left the steps I had built sitting on the ground. Well, now the steps have fallen down and I really don't want to go on an extended trip with them hanging down about curb height and everyone blowing their horn and motioning that the steps are down. Enough about me.

LOUIS - You amaze me with your business sense! You are a most interesting person! I could use a few lessons from you in the business world.

GARRY - I am confused as to why you think that I may be "insulted" in any way? I thought your remark was very funny even though it does have some validity.

DAVID --
Good to see you back on the forum!

WILLIE - I am not sure which part you are asking about? Here is a drawing:
1592234885752.png

Greetings -- Mostly sunny and breezy with an 83 high today (was 82 yesterday)! The temps have been wonderfully mild - I know we will "pay the piper" later on but for now, it is great.

The RV is stuck at the stealership awaiting parts -- I just may go and get it even though I may lose my place in the queue!
We have canceled one trip and may have to ditch another. The problem is that the auto steps have failed. That was OK for a while as they were stuck in a half-up, half-down position and I had built a set of steps that we took along with us. Unfortunately, the daughter and SIL drove off and left the steps I had built sitting on the ground. Well, now the steps have fallen down and I really don't want to go on an extended trip with them hanging down about curb height and everyone blowing their horn and motioning that the steps are down. Enough about me.

LOUIS - You amaze me with your business sense! You are a most interesting person! I could use a few lessons from you in the business world.

GARRY - I am confused as to why you think that I may be "insulted" in any way? I thought your remark was very funny even though it does have some validity.

DAVID --
Good to see you back on the forum!

WILLIE - I am not sure which part you are asking about? Here is a drawing:
View attachment 114384
The swing hanger. What is it's purpose and how does it work?

Afternoon, got back from the Hospital,the wife hurt her knee. They did an MRI found a slight tear in the minuscs and said she won't need surgery just time to heal.
Thanks for all the likes on the sunset, I try to get pics when the sky has a few clouds to show color and contrast. Someday I'll paint one on a backdrop.

JOE - ME TOO! I had a NAVY destroyer navigator for a neighbor.
He was about 8-10 years older and now deceased. I would have to take off my shoes before I could enter his garage - You could eat off the floor!

Guess I got you guys beat...I have a friend who's copper water pipes in his basement are polished and then sealed with a coat of clear lacquer to preserve the high gloss of the pipes. I think this project was to get away from his wife. Every square inch of the basement floor is painted as well as his garage floor. His work benches are completely organized and all tools in their place.

He didn't like the wood moldings around his home's doors so he removed them and replaced the moldings as well as the doors with better grade wood products.

He measured each door and did the molding cutting and staining outside and then in one step removed the moldings and then the doors and then replaced the doors and moldings in a weekend. Of course the new moldings he pre-finished and cut in prior weekends.

I will not even tell you about his vehicles.

Greg

Last edited:
Good Afternoon Everyone....just returned from the cabin after a long weekend of being alone and working hard. I stained 2/3's or more of the rear deck and started out planning on just a touch up of the bear spots that the pressure washer opened up, but I finally did all the boards and the results are great. Working outside all day and then some food and a couple of cocktails and I'm sleeping a full 10 hours at night which I don't do at home.

The White Pine pollen drop this year was low and in some years in a day your vehilce turns yellow from the pollen. The young White Pine seedlings are like weeds and grow everywhere. The White Pines around the cabin are approximately 70-75 years old and are 70-80 feet in height.

Perfect staining weathering with the temperatures in the low 70's and low humidity. At night I needed the heat on to keep the cabin temperature at 65 degrees.

I have one male humming bird that's claiming all four humming bird feeders, two in front of the cabin and the other two in the rear. He chases all of the other hummers away. He's extremely aggressive and will challenge me whenever I remove a feeder to fill or clean. When I return the feeder he's right back.

No model railroading and not even arm chair modeling. On the way up and back I run along the CN mainline just before the line heads up to Byron Hill where the freights use helpers. I didn't see one train either time.

Maybe an hour or two tomorrow in the train room. I'm going back to the cabin on Wednesday.

That's all for now.

Greg

##########################

I have one male humming bird that's claiming all four humming bird feeders, two in front of the cabin and the other two in the rear. He chases all of the other hummers away. He's extremely aggressive and will challenge me whenever I remove a feeder to fill or clean.
How do you know that it's a male? I have one aggressive hummingbird that challenges at one of the two feeders, but leaves the other alone. The other hummers still attempt (sometimes sucessfully) to use it's feeder despite the second being only 25' away. I didn't know there was a way to tell the difference.

How do you know that it's a male? I have one aggressive hummingbird that challenges at one of the two feeders, but leaves the other alone. The other hummers still attempt (sometimes sucessfully) to use it's feeder despite the second being only 25' away. I didn't know there was a way to tell the difference.

Willie: The male has the distinct Ruby colored throat as shown below.

1592252222384.png

"Ruby-Throated Hummingbird. Male and female ruby-throated hummingbirds look very similar, except for one large difference. The males has the ruby throat that gave the species its name, while the female's throat is white. Both the males and the females have a metallic green head, back, sides, wings, and tail, and a white chest and belly."

Willie: Do you know why they are called Humming Birds???? They don't know the words.

Greg

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores, made a quick trip to Lowes for a drill bit then built the 4th module and attached it. One more module to go on the right side.

Thank you for the likes.

Jerome- That is a lot of switchers. Are those yours?

Louis- I quit watching pro sports years ago. It started after the baseball strike in the 80's (?) for the greed of athletes and owners and the idea that a person playing with a ball for a living and paid a huge amount of money is crying victimhood. Unfortunately I think college sports are heading in that direction also.

Willie- More nice details. I have drank my share of Lone Star, but my favorite is Guinness.

Tom- Sorry to hear about your wife and hope she heals quickly.

20200615_151250.jpg

20200615_151314.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

The swing hanger. What is it's purpose and how does it work?

Willie, I found this on the web..... The Blomberg truck (generally used on EMD 4 axle units) has a swing hanger that is prominent on each side. Elliptical leaf springs or laminated rubber blocks support the truck bolster and transfer the weight of the locomotive, via the swing hangers, to the truck side frames. A transverse spring plank, on which the springs rest, allows the sides to equalize (makes the truck flexible going over bumps, joints, etc.) so that each wheel acts as if independentally suspended.

Curt: I agree will you on pro-sports and the direction college sports are heading. How can the baseball players be paid their salaries during the Virus Bug when they aren't playing????

I used to go to Milwaukee Brewers games, several games a year and enjoyed a couple of large Pepsi's along with a large bag of salted ("Brewers") peanuts and watched the game with co-workers during our office annual outing. Every season I was given Premium Tickets, a parking pass and a pass to the exclusive Brewers Private club from a contractor...even then the game with the free tickets and perks cost me over $100.00 for the wife and myself to attend.

Recently, I thought about what attending a game costs myself and the others in the ball park versus what the players and owners made that day playing a game....be it baseball, basketball or football.

Ever see the Jerry Jones yacht?

1592255296088.png

Only 357 feet long and 250 million...perhaps enough about pro-sports.

At old Milwaukee County Stadium, you could see the Miller Brewery from some seats and yet still pay over $7.00 for a cool beer.

Sorry Moderators...maybe add sports to banned list along with politics????

Miller Time with the Mrs.

Greg

####################

PS: I'm a Green Bay Packer stockholder.

Last edited:
Good afternoon. Been busy as usual. Tuesday was/is my meet friends for lunch day. After lunch we went to one of the guys house and played some pool.

Wednesday was when I got reminded what fun it is to try to entertain a 10 year old girl. My daughter went camping with the two younger boys and my grand daughter, Piper, is not very keen for camping and invited herself over until this morning. She's a great kid and is easy to please. We traveled around the area showing her many of the sights that she had never seen before. Tomorrow, lunch with friends Tuesday again.

I did find out some information about the model railroad club in Livingston. The museum in the main depot opened today, but they are limiting how many people can visit at any one time. The club is closed to the public, but the club members started running last Saturday but the door are closed and locked while operating. We are having people over next Saturday so a trip to Livingston won't happen. No Thursday op sessions as of yet. Maybe in August.

Willie - That part that you were asking about is the part that can drive you nuts trying to find if you use tweezers to install it and drop it on the floor. Great photos as usual. Nice detail work. The beer fridge is cool.

Alan - Nice video and photos. One sharp looking train. What happened to the dome car>

Jerome - Like the photo. Think you need a 2 car garage.

Curt - Nice to see you moving ahead on construction.

Karl- I'm sure you did a copy/paste on that EMD truck info.

Joe - You can keep posting photos of those scroungy Alcos. Guess they didn't wash them either.

Guess I'll post some photos from the club. Beginning to forget what it looks like.

thumbnail_20190808_133136.jpg

thumbnail_20190912_151401.jpg

thumbnail_20190613_144458.jpg

thumbnail_20190523_153324.jpg

thumbnail_20190613_143716.jpg

thumbnail_20190704_154928.jpg

Later

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190613_150214.jpg
    thumbnail_20190613_150214.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 111
I do like to razz people, and sometimes some of them don’t like it.
GARRY - You are going to have to get up a lot earlier if you THINK you are going to insult me or hurt my feelings. To start with -- You're not a Frenchman! :rolleyes:
Just the other day I was standing next to a guy in the latrine lineup and he said to me,"The water is not very cold" - to which I replied, "Yeah, but it's not very deep either"!

I thought the original joke was funny.
Willie, I did too ... and I thought my reply was funny as well, but I guess I used the wrong words in my reply for Garry to feel that way?

I have a friend who's copper water pipes in his basement are polished and then sealed with a coat of clear lacquer to preserve the high gloss of the pipes.
GREG - I believe that you win the prize with that guy!
For years I have thought that the sports players have been paid waayyy too much for what they do and I have no idea how anyone can afford to pay the cost for a family outing - same holds true for all the amusement parks.
parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back