What I've Been Up To

chrismoore93

Central Phoenix Railroad
Hey guys,
I really do apologize for not posting here in a long time. I must say sence I have not been here I have gained knowledge from some Model Railroader magazines I received from my uncle. Looking back at my old posts, I almost think I was an idiot:eek:
Anyway, I have been working on a small HO Scale diorama that I have placed out on my back porch. So far, I have placed a mountain, that has been sceniced:p and am now starting to get the plywood sceniced.
Well tomorrow is the last day of school for me:D and the only thing I want to do this summer is get a plan and just start building. I have decided to have a railroad that runs from Phoenix, the city I live in to a few mining towns such as Hayden and Globe. I apologize for throwing all these names out at you as I am sure you probably haven't heard of all of them.
Operations would basically be:
-Switch "Industrial Park" (a fictional part of downtown Phoenix)
-Head down the mainline to the copper mine.
-Load up the copper or
-Possibly make a trip to the rock crusher
-Head over to the smelter
I would probably have certain trains running to the copper mine and some switching industrial park.
Some specs
-On patio
-Maximum space can take up 10'by8', can be a foot longer
-Is outside
-Probably be an end to end layout
-Older rolling stock
-Maybe an interchange in a yard with the UP or BNSF???
-Be able to take apart, probably in 4'by8' chunks or so, 5by8' if that works:D

Anyway, if anyone would like to take a stab at creating a trackplan for this layout, please feel free. I am looking through books to see what I can
do. Maybe a layout created will be better.

Chris

Josh is right. Outside? I've heard of people doing HO garden railroads, but they are not really mean to do it. You have extreme heat and temperature fluctuations where you are. I think I might try negotiating with your parents and see if you can get something indoors. switch to N scale if you have to.

Looking back at my old posts, I almost think I was an idiot:eek:
Chris

Dude,
Give yourself a break!
You're only 14. :rolleyes:
Forget the outside gig and focus on small spaces indoors that you can gain real estate privileges to.
How about the space beneath your bed?
A N scale layout on a foam board would fit nicely and set up fast.
Or maybe a HO shelf layout along one wall in your bedroom?
Something 1' wide x 4' long as a point to point.
Start small and enjoy the hobby.

Here's a link to some small space layout stuff:

http://www.thortrains.net/poorhod.html

http://www.msu.edu/~fust/index.htm

http://www.thortrains.net/nglayou1.html

Thanks for the links Old 97. N Scale is definately something I have thought of before. I do have an actualy empty space in my room I could use up but I'd have to measure and see what I could do first.

Chris

Ditto here Chris when I was your age I had a whole slot car setup on a 4x8 in my parent's basement . I negotiated with them for a spot and they gave it to me as long as I kept it neat and clean !

Back