Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Ran some errands then made it to Lowes. I purchased the wood for the legs (2x3's), 3 different sized boxes of screws, carriage bolts with nuts and washers, and a can of Tuscan Red (close) to paint the legs. I didn't start on the legs today because we were supposed to have a lady come out between 2-3 pm for a quote on gutters. It's now 3:18 with no phone call. That is something that really pisses me off.

I won a battle today with the wife. The solar is going away :) :) :). No holes in the brand new roof. Tomorrow I may be dragged down to IKEA for a sofa table the wife really wants. After that I need to install a plug with 2 USB connections built in.

Chet- Thank you.

Alan- Great looking cars. Did the COSF cars have both grey and yellow diaghrams?

Louis- Happy Birthday to your son. Your house reminds me of my grandmothers when I was a kid visiting Eastern Ohio.

Willie- The ballasting continues to look good. Put some refrigeration units on the roof and make it a Blue Bell distribution center. That says Texas.

Guy- Interesting photos.

Greg- Is that the Biltmore?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Youse guys are funny mit the houses!

Busy and in a hurry, but thought I would throw this one out to CURT - just in case he had not seen it? I think it's from Micromarrk??
Pennsylvia Standard Freighthouse.JPG

Alan- Great looking cars. Did the COSF cars have both grey and yellow diaghrams?

Thank You. The prototype diaphragms followed the car paint scheme, Gray & Yellow with Red stripes. Unfortunately Coach Yard never made any like that, and what you are seeing is me having to use whatever I could get! :) Like I said earlier, Fred Hill told me these would not take paint, but will take ink, so I will be experimenting with some ink on a pair. I had two gray sets in my stash, and when a bunch came up for sale I chose yellow because the lighter the base color, the easier it will be to ink a darker color over it. We'll see how this works!

Willie, all nice homes indeed! Looking at your current home and all I can think is "how long does it take to cut the grass!?"

If you would hang out here more ;);););) you would know as Willie tells us all the time the answer to that.

---

If I had the money I would live on 500 acres in Montana. But I don't, so the suburbs in Utah will have to suffice. When I was 0-3 I lived in an apartment in Phoenix. We later moved to a house in a Phoenix suburb -- at the time the desert was the back yard. Great fun as a kid. Now it is run down suburbia and the "city" goes for miles and miles and miles (based on my last visit to my old house in the last 10 years). When I was 10 we moved to Massachusetts and 3 acres of woodland and open garden area. Though neighbors were not that far -- closest a hundred feet or so from our house as all the houses were up close to the street and the land went out behind everyones house. Various adventures in between (Germany, apartments in Utah while in school, etc) and I've lived in suburbia Utah, in a rented house in New Hampshire similar to (and close to) my house in Massachusetts as a kid, and back to suburbia Utah.

But I always go back to the dream of the big 500 acre spread in Montana. But the wife wouldn't come with me if I had the money, so it is one of those things I just will keep in my heart until I pass on... (She has already said NO in no uncertain terms -- she grew up in the city in Japan and does not like the idea of no services, hospitals, etc in the nearby vicinity).

If you would hang out here more ;);););) you would know as Willie tells us all the time the answer to that.

---

If I had the money I would live on 500 acres in Montana. But I don't, so the suburbs in Utah will have to suffice. When I was 0-3 I lived in an apartment in Phoenix. We later moved to a house in a Phoenix suburb -- at the time the desert was the back yard. Great fun as a kid. Now it is run down suburbia and the "city" goes for miles and miles and miles (based on my last visit to my old house in the last 10 years). When I was 10 we moved to Massachusetts and 3 acres of woodland and open garden area. Though neighbors were not that far -- closest a hundred feet or so from our house as all the houses were up close to the street and the land went out behind everyones house. Various adventures in between (Germany, apartments in Utah while in school, etc) and I've lived in suburbia Utah, in a rented house in New Hampshire similar to (and close to) my house in Massachusetts as a kid, and back to suburbia Utah.

But I always go back to the dream of the big 500 acre spread in Montana. But the wife wouldn't come with me if I had the money, so it is one of those things I just will keep in my heart until I pass on... (She has already said NO in no uncertain terms -- she grew up in the city in Japan and does not like the idea of no services, hospitals, etc in the nearby vicinity).

CHAD -- While your dreaming - you might as well up the ante a little and go for a whole section .. 640 acres! That's my dream, but alas, too far out of reach timewise now; could have had it too if I had not spent half of what I had on whisky and wild women ... the rest I just whittled away foolishly!

CHAD -- While your dreaming - you might as well up the ante a little and go for a whole section .. 640 acres! That's my dream, but alas, too far out of reach timewise now; could have had it too if I had not spent half of what I had on whisky and wild women ... the rest I just whittled away foolishly!

Sounds good to me! (The 640 acre part, not the wild women and whisky part :) )

Sherrel, there are those who would argue that was money well spent!

Howdy ..... Getting late, but it is still Wednesday here.

Louis ... I hope you son had a good birthday. Our oldest granddaughter celebrated her 19th birthday today. ... Time flies !

Alan .... I certainly admire the work you are doing on your COSF.

Chad ..... 500 acres in Montana is quite a dream. Actually, Utah is beautiful, and so you can count your blessings.

Willie .... You are doing well with your "CUP" ..... The awnings on my restaurant did not come in the kit. They were purchased separately.

Guy .... Your pictures of the old ghost town are remarkable.

Below is a GN passenger train in Prairie View.

49969306187_520f35cf02_k.jpg

It will show up. In all my experience with USPS they rarely actually lose something permanently. Things sometimes, more often than we'd like, take really round about and long trips to other locales before getting to their intended destination.

I used to run an online store and sent 1000s and 1000s of USPS packages over the years and never had one get lost. I thought I'd lost some on occasion but they would always show up, eventually. (Some that should have taken 3-5 days took 3 -4 weeks but they did show up).
As long as the recipient was not a victim of “porch pirates”.

The small area in the corner around the house, train shed, garden and barn takes about 3.5 hours on the 52" tractor. The hayfield from the "E" in Eagle up to and over to the "3" in 321 takes about 8 hours with an 8' Brush Hog, to clear the field. It takes longer when a hay mower (aka disc mower) is used to cut and windrow the hay.
Wow, Willie, you are one hell of a man!

On a good day I can do my yard, front and back in under 2 hours. Many times I only do the back and on those days it takes me 1.5 hours, give ot take. Lots of breaks mixed in. The trim work and weeding can take 1-2 hours, when I bother to do it.

Wild women and whiskey... you have to love them both and the memories are priceless, the ones I can remember.

As for the money, hang out with the “dancers” they pay for drinks if they like you and you are prepared to be their personal bodyguard. The pay is not good, but the bodies are nice to guard. 😉

Now that I think of it, I may have had too much fun in my life. No wonder I have trouble cutting the grass. I believe it is true what they say about married men live longer. Before I got married the first time and in between marriages I did not live a healthy lifestyle. Work and have fun were all I did.

"let's have a knock down dragout rock-n-roll party in the street"

Good morning Everybody!

Sherrel, I got myself “out of whack” now! I woke up at 1:30am. I will finish my second cup of coffee and go back to sleep. I hope you are back on track.

That’s it for now, I hope to be back later.

Have a great day Everybody!

On this trip, we have taken the branch line out to Harrison which turns off the 5th Sub at Sappington. Going by a photo later, it may not be administered by MRL, because it has to be signed in and out to show how long they were using it. It appears to be a grain supplier that they are servicing. We start with a Google street view of the plant which is at the end of the branch, although the satellite view indicates that the line may have continued further previously. It peter's out in a field. The loadout is on Harrison Lake Rd, off the side of US-287. The end of the line is just beyond the car visible between the 2 rigs, and acts as the loading yard's lead. Note the use of just cross bucks to mark the grade crossing.

The loadout with it's runaround tracks and MRL hoppers waiting on it's siding

A truck driver tips his load

Continued

Continuation

8iuTX4LlGZO.png
Author
The Montana Rail Link Railfan Society
Trying to just caputure all the open space that this branch runs through. Having left Harrison with a few loads the local heads back to the connection at Sappington and the 5th sub
1591268306458.png

1591268376945.png

Approaching US-287 again
1591268464334.png

And through more crossbucks
1591268548343.png

I was going to say "Don't fence me in", but one spoils it
1591268674958.png

Over the trestle and down into the canyon
1591268839550.png

What a picture. And a chance to try out the MooCow sounds on the decoder
1591268966136.png

8iuTX4LlGZO.png
Author
This is my first time at this location where the branch comes out of the canyon and runs along the Jefferson River * and the old Milwaukee Road ROW.
1591269101454.png

8iuTX4LlGZO.png
Author
Coming into Sappington I am standing on the old Milwaukee Road ROW for this shot.
1591269247043.png

8iuTX4LlGZO.png
Author
After signing the log that they are done on the branch off they go E/B.
1591269345956.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back