Jefferson Warrior RR

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
I posted this in the proto forum. It's reposted here because I can't help but think of the modeling opportunities a shortline like the JEFW would present. Think about it, the whole RR could be modeled almost to scale and you could switch and interchange till your heart was content. ;)

The Jefferson Warrior RR (JEFW) is an industrial shortline that operates in North Birmingham, Al. Formerly known as the MaryLee RR it began operations 80+ years ago hauling coal from mines in the nearby portions of the Warrior Coal Fields to Birmingham (Sloss). In 1985 the name was changed and the company went into operation as a common carrier. Nowadays, the JEFW serves the Sloss Industries coke plant and US Pipe plant in north Birmingham. The railroad interchanges with both the CSX and Norfolk Southern.

The JEFW has about 15 miles of track, much of it in yards. According to a Birmingham News article published in 2000, the railroad had 22 employees and 6 locomotives. It's a cool little operation.

This shot was taken at the JEFW yard adjacent to Sloss Industries. Swithcher 52 movin loads... The haze in the background is from the Florida wildfires.
Jefferson_Warrior_RR.JPG

al dente

Fantastic shot Eric!

That yard ladder to the right kinda gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "spaghetti track"...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys. Here's another JEFW shot. Switching by remote in the Sloss Industries coke plant.

IMG_2144.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shots, Eric! I noticed the dust mask on the trainman and it looks like a good idea:eek: .

The track in the upper photo looks like some that Carey (Cjcrescent) might have put down.:rolleyes: :D :D :D
(boy, I am in trouble now!:eek: )

Nice shots, Eric! I noticed the dust mask on the trainman and it looks like a good idea:eek: .

The track in the upper photo looks like some that Carey (Cjcrescent) might have put down.:rolleyes: :D :D :D
(boy, I am in trouble now!:eek: )

Nahhh. You're not in trouble.:)

You're just jealous that I can lay track that looks and works like the prototype!:p;):D:D:D:D:D

Ya know Rex, that ballast work screams CJ too... :D

Sorry CJ, it would have been a same to pass up that opportunity. ;)

Eric,
Do you have any side shots of the switcher? It would be interesting to see how it looks.

-Smoke

Eric,
Do you have any side shots of the switcher? It would be interesting to see how it looks.

-Smoke

Unfortunately, I don't have any good side shots. Maybe I can get one of the JEFW switchers back in front of a lens soon. ;)

Smoke, I saved a "reject" image by going to B&W...

IMG_2147.JPG
Thanks for the photo grandeman. Do you know what type of loco that is. I'm not very good at determining what loco it is? I just might do one of those for the fun of it.

-Smoke

Back