Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I wanted a MAC and Cheese,.
Not a Mac & Cheese, Garry, but will one of these do? Celebrates the local Rugby League (NRL) team. (just don't expect it to look exactly like this in it's box)
1591087487209.png

EVENING FELLOWS ... Thanks for the warm welcome back! It was a warm one here, or my body just doesn't want to take the heat like I used to love it?
Wasn't but 86 today, but actually I sweated veing that the humidity was high also - very unsual . The sky darkened, but no rain fell.

Thought you guys would like this video - if it will show ??

Oh, DANG .. It 's a FB one .. for those who do not do FB.
TERRY - Is it possible that you can smag it away from the FB formatting????
Appreciate a try!

Louis, I guess I've just been spoiled up to this time, with packages usually getting here within 4 days of being shipped. **sigh** I just wish this had been an item that can easily be re-ordered, not something that's rare and generally unavailable [without a huge amount of extra work and/or $$$].

I'll have to count this as a "watched pot that never boils" and butcher one of my existing GP38's to squeeze a sound decoder and speaker into it.

Ken, FYI, I do have a LokProgrammer set up if you need files changed or a "nekkid" decoder needs files added.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 68° in my neighborhood. Weather people are sticking with their forecast of thundershowers for this afternoon. I'm ready, every part of the yard is mowed and the car needs washing.
Called the dentist office yesterday morning about my temporary crown that had slipped off, and they told me to come on by. Turns out that my permanent one was ready, so they just installed that one instead of re-gluing the temporary one back in. Good to go again. I got rid of all of our ancient computer equipment at the computer recyclers as well. They don't take the old CRT monitors due to the lead in them and they didn't have a hazardous materials handling license.
After returning home, I was able to finish up a few straggling places in the yard that I skipped mowing over the weekend. I also harvested about 60 pounds of onions. Our daughter came by yesterday evening to pick up our grandsons, a couple of days early, but she is concerned because of the curfew imposed on parts of the Dallas area. Insanity!

Blueberry pancakes and a pile of sausage patties for me this morning Flo.

Thanks for the comments and reactions regarding the CUP pictures yesterday; Joe, Tom, Louis, Guy, Chet, Jerome, Justin, Sherrel, Karl, Chad, Justin, Phil, James, Ken, Curt, Garry.

I didn't get much time in the train shed yesterday, but I did get some more track ballasted.
06-02-20 006.JPG

I am nearing the end of the line for ballasting, at least as far as this project is concerned.
Took the restaurant structure over to the workbench and added signage and a hungry homeless person out back.
06-02-20 001.JPG

But then I had to test the track after the ballasting and I just ran trains for about an hour.

Joe -
Spent some time in the train room last night. mostly looking for stuff that was lost in plain site, covered by something else.
It's happening more often than I wish.:(
Ken - Don't give up yet. All of the delivery people are totally overwhelmed lately.
Curt - Despite the difficulties, the coaling tower came out rather nicely.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Good morning, y'all. Overcast and 64 to start the day. Hopefully we get some rain this time around..

The tech is coming to do the spring AC set-up sometime after 10:30, and the cat is due at the Vets at 2PM. Don't think I'll make it to the dump with the leaves and brush until tomorrow.

I found an interesting photo, in a book, of Reading # 193, the westbound Jersey City to Harrisburg train, from about 1960. FWIW, I have everything I need to model a reasonable likeness of this train, using Athearn Blue Box passenger cars and FM Trainmaster. Just like in the old days, before we were so concerned with prototype accuracy. But first, I need to progress on finishing the layout, so I have the room to run it. Sorry, I cannot share the photo.

Willie: That guy at the garbage can, may be homeless, but it appears he may be suffering from the aftermath of over imbibing....:oops:

Ray: Bronco Burger, eh?

Karl & Ken:
Reading your remarks, I get the feeling I have totally fallen behind on the DCC Curve, since I last used it about 5 years ago....Time to catch up.

Morning all. A rather early rise this morning and spent the extra time before work masking off the last two cars for the COSF so I can paint the aluminum flashing.

In other news, the battery on my not quite three year old Pacifica died this weekend. That was rather perplexing, as this seemed to me to be a rather young vehicle for this to happen. Fortunately it is just barely within the original factory warranty, and I had a road service plan that they threw in when I bought it, so the whole shooting match cost me $0.00. You should have seen the service writer's face when I explained the problem to him and told him: "It's still under warranty so whatever's wrong with it belongs to you." Those are the moments when life is indeed good!

After that, well, the Universe has a way of balancing things out. The repair on the failed solder joints on the 12-5 sleeper didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I'm having serious issues getting the car to sit level. These floor mounting rails are very difficult to work on, and I don't have the whatever jig the builder used to align everything, so it's move and test, move and test, cuss a little or a lot, and do it again. On top of that I found out that this was not the correct iteration of this car for this train. It is a later de-skirted version. Faced with that, I decided to go shopping and found a correct version of the car at Brass Trains for a price that was pretty damn close to what the car fix would have been without the warranty. Funny how that worked out, ain't it? 🤪 Oh well, onward and upward as they say. I'll eventually get the original fixed, paint it two tone gray and use it in a different train. 💩 Some days you need your sense of humor more than others.

Morning all,

Supposed to get into the low to mid 90's here the remainder of the week. Maybe the grass will slow down.
It has been a busy morning so far today. When I don't get here before 7:00a you know I'm busy. lol

Garry: Was it you that had the latex paint recipe from Jeffrey? I'd like it if you have it.

A few shots of rail depots Wichita once had...

Santa Fe:
00716095.jpg

Rock Island:
b342a0a408d0420bcad17a58ac640408.jpg

The Rock Island depot building still exists.It has been the home of a couple of different restaurant\bars over the years. The building behind it was torn down to make room for the Union Station (below).

card00441_fr.jpg

The Rock Island depot would be just to the left of where the card are parked in this view.

Modern View:

Area has been redeveloped into an entertainment district. The Union Station has been made into office spaces.

Good morning ........

Toot ...... That is huge burger.

Patrick ... It must be somebody else who has Jeffrey's latex recipe. I like the historic photos of Wichita stations.

Willie .... Nice ballasting. ..... I had some fun with the same restaurant kit a few years ago/ (I think it was the same.) I kit bashed two of them to make the "Stray Dog Cafe". .... Also, notice the name of the business across the street to the left.

42050327724_2328b32941_k.jpg

Afternoon All,

Started out with the monthly grocery trip to Wally World. After coming home I weathered the coaling tower then sat down with the layout plan and figured out what I need to get. Tomorrow I plan on buying the legs and paint so I can get that done before they are upstairs. I asked son to go with me on Friday (his day off) to get lumber.

Thank you to everyone for the likes on the build.

Terry- Neat looking car lighting.

Louis- Nice loco photos.

Joe- Thank you. They sound like some good books.

Garry- Thank you. The SF locos bring back childhood memories. Nice layout scene.

Sherrel- I always enjoy those types of videos.

Willie- Thank you. The ballasting and details look good.

Alan- At least the repair was free.

Patrick- It was me. I'll PM the info to you.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. I have been AWOL again. Busier than a one arm paper hanger lately. Been busy out in the shop replacing heads that have been reworked so I can use unleaded gas in them plus managed to sell a few cars. We've been in the 80's also.

Garry - That is one excellent photo.

Curt - One sweet coaling tower. Like it.

Terry - Like to see you running trains. I haven't been in the train room for weeks. Too much to do outdoors.

Ray - Good photos. Know the area where the ballast train photos were taken well. The last shot is pulling into Logan with the Bridger Mountains in the rear.

thumbnail_20200602_120122.jpg

Have more work to do. Later

A bit of progress today. Got the aluminum flashing painted over lunch hour. Now fiddling with the full width diaphragms. They aren't too bad really. Position them, drill and tap one of four holes, put a screw in to hold it snug, then do the other three. Here's the thing: You can't paint these things. Whatever plasticized fabric or whatever they use will not take paint. Fred Hill at the Coach Yard told me they could be inked. I guess we'll see. Even if I leave them as is, they still look lots better than that yawning gap between cars!

I'll do some decaling this evening!

Painted last two.JPG

FED Test.JPG

A bit of progress today. Got the aluminum flashing painted over lunch hour. Now fiddling with the full width diaphragms. They aren't too bad really. Position them, drill and tap one of four holes, put a screw in to hold it snug, then do the other three. Here's the thing: You can't paint these things. Whatever plasticized fabric or whatever they use will not take paint. Fred Hill at the Coach Yard told me they could be inked. I guess we'll see. Even if I leave them as is, they still look lots better than that yawning gap between cars!

I'll do some decaling this evening!

View attachment 114036

View attachment 114037
Looks good Alan. I only wish I had the patience. William.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back