Bar Mills Crown Crate

twforeman

Certified Great Northern Nut
I'm not even done with the Tucker Brothers machine shop, and I'm starting another building. It's like a sickness.

I like having multiple projects going because I can paint on one, then glue on another while the paint dries, etc.

This should be a nice little foreground model. Here I'm gluing up the lumber rack.

And here is the main building.

Should make a nice little scene when it's finished.

I like the Bar Mills kits, in general. The instructions can be a little confusing sometimes, and it's not always clear which parts go where, but they do make nice models when they are finished.

I like the Bar Mills kits, in general. The instructions can be a little confusing sometimes, and it's not always clear which parts go where, but they do make nice models when they are finished.
I agree 100% on the instructions. I have made close to two dozen of their kits and love them. Once you get a few done, you can anticipate where the instructions will give you a wake up call. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build as this is one that I have not done.
I also have several projects going at the same time.

Lots of progress on the crate factory yesterday and today. The building is finished other than the dust collector and a sign or two.

The lumber rack is finished other than adding the roof panels and the lumber stacks.

Speaking of roof panels - this kit came with some "new" corrugated roof material. It looks like pressed paper. I primed it and then brushed on some barn red - thicker in some areas than others.

After that dried I hit it with three "rust" colors I like to use - a light cinnamon, a burnt sienna and a raw sienna.

And I made the lumber stacks to put on the rack.

So this one is also almost done. I might hit the building with a black wash to pop the details a little more, but the white/grey mix I painted it with looks pretty weathered.

I came across those paper corrugated roofing materials on two of my last three Bar Mills builds. First one was a learning experience, the second which I just weathered today came out much better.
05-25-20 002.JPG

Reaching the finish line on this one. I printed my first custom decals for this project - that was a bit of a learning experience. I pre-weathered them in Gimp and they look pretty good I think. Got the dust collector, pile of crates and pallet of stuff painted up. Mounted up the dust collector. The photos and instructions in the kit are backwards. The collector should sit on top of the "bag house" because the dust comes down the center into the "bags". (As a woodworker, I know this to be true.) Anyway, not a big deal to mount it correctly.

The only thing left to do is mount the lights (non-functional at this time) which are painted and drying, and paint the glue around the dust collector mounting black to look like tar.

Here are a couple of pics. I'm pretty happy with this one.

Back