Running Bear's May 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALAN -- Is that articulated car have a six-wheel truck in the middle and four-wheel trucks on the end?
I'm sorry, but I have not seen that before!

Yep! It sure is. The UP and SP both did it this way. The Daylight articulated Kitchen/Diner/Coffee shop, the Lark Club, and the "City" pool articulated cars used six wheel trucks at the articulation. Daylight articulated coaches used a two wheel truck at the articulation. Coaches are lighter than sleepers or kitchen/diners. It's a matter of weight!

Good morning

Mikey, Patrick, Alan, Curt, Willie, and anyone I missed : ....... Thanks for commenting on my photo. ...... Also thanks to all who "liked" it.

Alan .... The articulated car looks excellent, and you did a great job installing blinds for windows.

Willie .... You are placing a lot of interesting details at the scrap yard. Good start with Earl's Oil. .... That was a long dental appointment. ... (Glad I proof read. At first I omitted the "s" in scrap yard. LOL )

Patrick .... GN 3380 in your photo looks like are hard working locomotive.

Louis .... I like the photo of the remarkable IC Green Diamond and also the picture of the PRR T-1. Those T-1's could haul large, heavy passenger trains at fast speeds.

Joe .... The fire had a lot of smoke in your picture.

Everybody: ........ Happy Model Railroading

My Lionel red, white and blue EMD SD60 I Love U.S.A. #1776 - Conventional Locomotive showed up this morning and I have already run for several minutes.

This is by far the most detailed conventional locomotive I have ever seen. The directional lighting including LED headlights, operating ditch lights and operating marker lights look great. Even the electronic diesel horn sounds great! This was an even better bargain then I first thought.

Willie, what brand are you using for the aged concrete? I need a bunch of it.
Jerome - That happens to be Polly Scale aged concrete. Good luck finding it. I'm not parting with my remaining partial bottle. I do also have a bottle of Model Master aged concrete that to my eyes seems an exact match. I brush painted it over a coat of Krylon Gray Primer from a rattle can.

Joe .... The fire had a lot of smoke in your picture.

Garry: Yeah, even old creosoted bridge timbers throw off a lot of smoke. Unfortunately, I did not save all the photos but they set up two ladder trucks to direct master streams at the fire. You did a great job finishing your Parlor - Buffet Car. The blinds are a nice detail. The light weathering also works well.
My area is under a flash flood warning until tonight
Terry: Time to head for the high ground.

That happens to be Polly Scale aged concrete. Good luck finding it. I'm not parting with my remaining partial bottle. I do also have a bottle of Model Master aged concrete that to my eyes seems an exact match. I brush painted it over a coat of Krylon Gray Primer from a rattle can.
Willie & Jerome: Finding Poly Scale Aged Concrete is becoming difficult. The remainder of my bottle dried up, and I was not successful trying to reconstitute it. There is a Walmart / JoAnn type craft paint called pavement that possibly could be mixed with a white, (Bob Ross style). Another possibility is Aircraft light Gray, mixed with a white. If you have an open Michaels or Hobby Lobby near you, try them.

Today is one of those days.Old PA Dutch saying, The Hurrier I go, the behinder I get, applies. I have been spinning my wheels all morning.

TC SW8.jpg

Not sure if this was from back in the day when the TC was still in business. Could also be in the Nashville Museum. Looks too clean for a working switcher.

BS12m at Wilmington EH on 5 spur.jpg

BS12ms at Wilmington, DE Engine House. Sometime prior to 1966

Afternoon All,

Today after some chores I built the platform and ramp effectively finishing this build. I still have a few details to paint and I'm waiting on the missing stone ramp that goes next to the entrance.

Thank you for the likes yesterday.

Joe- I saw that on a news feed. It's a shame. Nice loco photos.

Louis- Awesome gift and sentiment. Great photos and GG1 poster.

James- Looks like a fun time.

Terry- Stay safe and dry.

Patrick- Interesting loco.

Willie- Great details in your scenes.

Alan- They all look great.

Jerome- I use MM aged concrete. I've been meaning to try mixing their concrete and aged concrete to see what it looks like but haven't done it yet.

20200521_141818_copy_1612x1209.jpg

20200521_141900_copy_1209x1612.jpg

20200521_142117_copy_1612x1209.jpg

20200521_142012_copy_1612x1209.jpg

I hope everybody has a good night.

Our local Kroger is completely out of all paper products. I think there were a handful of the little ten-kleenex plastic travel baggies, but that was it. They were low on paper plates, too.

Interesting. Most stores here have had paper towels and TP for the last month for the taking. Not tons and not all brands all the time but it has been available.

OSHA ain't gonna be pleased about those bottles. Need to be upright with a safety chain around them.

At least the caps are on!

Rainy day here in Sparta with a temperature of 66. Replaced ivory colored light switches with white ones. We went for a walk between rains this afternoon and got a chance to meet one of the local residents up close. He just appeared to be the strong quiet type. A real man of few words!:p

IMG_E1791.JPG

What they call a pine snake here in Tennessee, in Illinois we called them bull snakes. Completely harmless and eat rodents like most snakes. So, actually very beneficial. I stopped to show my wife how to tell a sassafras tree by the different lobes on the leaves on a couple of small saplings growing alongside the ditch. I saw the snake just before she did. Of course, as soon as my wife saw it, she took off like a rocket. Luckily, there weren't any cars coming! First snake I've seen this year. In Tennessee, there are several species of rattlesnakes, copperheads and water moccasins. I don't know for sure if she knows that! She does know that there are two types of scorpions, but that doesn't seem to bother her. But let her see one little snake that is just as afraid of her as she is of it, and she takes off in a dead run!🤣

The wife came home one summer day while we lived in Vermont, to find me out sitting on the front steps, carefully unsticking and unwinding a garden snake from a tape gun. It had apparently worked its way in through the window air conditioner and had fallen into a box of shipping supplies, where it had managed to loop itself two or three times between the spokes and a couple of times over the blade. Took a couple of hours, the first 20 minutes of which involved talking myself out of me fear of snakes. Had to carefully unstick a little at a time, then sprinkle on some dirt to keep it from getting stuck again, while making sure not to turn the wheel or stretch the body over the blade. The thing was so scared it was literally shitting itself the whole time, and that stuff stinks! Didn't even have enough class to thank me, afterwards.

Trying to get back into the groove:

FB_IMG_1589942442943.jpg
FB_IMG_1588725246883.jpg

At least the caps are on!

Rainy day here in Sparta with a temperature of 66. Replaced ivory colored light switches with white ones. We went for a walk between rains this afternoon and got a chance to meet one of the local residents up close. He just appeared to be the strong quiet type. A real man of few words!:p

View attachment 113600

What they call a pine snake here in Tennessee, in Illinois we called them bull snakes. Completely harmless and eat rodents like most snakes. So, actually very beneficial. I stopped to show my wife how to tell a sassafras tree by the different lobes on the leaves on a couple of small saplings growing alongside the ditch. I saw the snake just before she did. Of course, as soon as my wife saw it, she took off like a rocket. Luckily, there weren't any cars coming! First snake I've seen this year. In Tennessee, there are several species of rattlesnakes, copperheads and water moccasins. I don't know for sure if she knows that! She does know that there are two types of scorpions, but that doesn't seem to bother her. But let her see one little snake that is just as afraid of her as she is of it, and she takes off in a dead run!🤣
That's a "Big'un". We have our own Python referred to as a Carpet snake because of it's skin pattern. In fact the area where I live's name means, in the native tongue, Kabultur, (place of the python). The English, anglicized the spelling and softened it to Caboolture.

Our local Kroger is completely out of all paper products. I think there were a handful of the little ten-kleenex plastic travel baggies, but that was it. They were low on paper plates, too.

My primary store, Redner's was like that every time I went, up until the last two weeks. Even now it's only a few brands.

I still had some in stock, not because I worry about running out, because I'm cheap! When ever it goes on sale I fill my designated TP storage area. I'm down to 5-12 double roll packs. I'm hoping when supply exceeds demand I can restock at even lower prices.

What are people doing with all the toilet paper? Could it be the inexperienced/bad cooks can't go out to eat and need more toilet paper due to their cooking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back