JTEX A switcher junkyard

Ok got a little done tonight. A fresh coat of an earth tone flat latex paint applied.

20200519_211212.jpg

Ok guys, I got buildings out and started laying things out to fit. Now remember, this is an island, the square end will be incorporated into a larger layout later on. The rounded track on that end will be changed later on.

I'm open to comments, observations, critiques, criticisms or maybe you see something I missed.

I just ordered another Atlas roundhouse section, I thought I had enough for a half circle. OOPS

20200520_164739.jpg
20200520_164746.jpg
20200520_164753.jpg
20200520_164800.jpg
20200520_164818.jpg
20200520_164827.jpg

Looks fantastic! I like your little supervisor chillin lika villain off to the right there lol 😺

You got a good jump start man! Great vision! I like how it looks! I am going to have to get moving and start painting. Feed off that motivation you got going on there! 😬

Last edited:
Looks fantastic! I like your little supervisor chillin lika villain off to the right there lol 😺

You got a good jump start man! Great vision! I like how it looks! I am going to have to get moving and start painting. Feed off that motivation you going on there! 😬
James, that's Frankenstein aka Frankie, he comes around once in a while bumping my leg to get my attention. I got that diorama cut down last night, I will try to get it framed and inserted where it goes tonight and also the transfer tables.

Jerome - Just caught up with this thread today, you're making some very rapid progress. The whole concept is really great.
Are the tracks in the center and up to the roundhouse going to be connected to anything right now? Or am I not seeing something?
Wilie, I did change those a bit. I used the one in the middle of the board go straight to the roundhouse. Makes more sense to have a straight connection to the roundhouse and not to have to go through the transfer tables. The others that dead end will be storage tracks for deadlined switchers. Remeber I have over 200 switchers to populate this. I need more tracks!! LOL

Oh yeah I’m liking version two as well!
Here’s a thought, you have a siding off the “main” which I’d guess to be the inbound line. What if you angled some tracks off that to get away from the straight lines look?
You could cluster the older buildings in a group to suggest a little history, like they were here first.
That water tank being torn down would really set that off!
Arrange the newer buildings to give the appearance of being added later.
Usually the farther you get from the inbound track the more the chassis will have been stripped down until you arrive at the grave yard. You’ll need weeds, lots of weeds!
Heres a little something from my salvaging days to keep you inspired, taken from a photo on my wall:

F48EBD7B-7D8E-46BF-98A3-60ABC625C863.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh yeah I’m liking version two as well!
Here’s a thought, you have a siding off the “main” which I’d guess to be the inbound line. What if you angled some tracks off that to get away from the straight lines look?
You could cluster the older buildings in a group to suggest a little history, like they were here first.
That water tank being torn down would really set that off!
Arrange the newer buildings to give the appearance of being added later.
Usually the farther you get from the inbound track the more the chassis will have been stripped down until you arrive at the grave yard. You’ll need weeds, lots of weeds!
Heres a little something from my savaging days to keep you inspired, taken from a photo on my wall:

View attachment 113659
Rick, help me out here. Angle off the main?? I have all of the older buildings grouped in the top right side by the garage door (Allied Rail Rebuilders, Water tower, Roundhouse and engine shop). I was thinking like you, that was an old railroads shops at one time. All of the newer aluminum buildings were added years later, except the main office building which is up in the top left.

Angle as in not straight along the layouts edge, makes things look a little more natural for lack of a better word.
For instance if you use a #6 switch just keep heading off the diverging route angle?
Same thing with buildings, if they aren’t all lined up it adds visual appeal.
Oh and yes, after another look and a much needed caffeine fix I can see you have the older buildings together, cool!
I’ll dig thru my files and see if I have more pics of scrapping locos!

Angle as in not straight along the layouts edge, makes things look a little more natural for lack of a better word.
For instance if you use a #6 switch just keep heading off the diverging route angle?
Same thing with buildings, if they aren’t all lined up it adds visual appeal.
Oh and yes, after another look and a much needed caffeine fix I can see you have the older buildings together, cool!
I’ll dig thru my files and see if I have more pics of scrapping locos!
Rick, I see what your saying now. But here is the dilemma, in these next 2 pictures, I'm trying to repurpose this diarama that I've had for years. Notice how the tracks are spaced? I already cut off 1 mainline track to fit it in this area and shortened it about 6" to keep it away from the seams of the benchwork. I've also been checking that no switches sit over a seam, that has been a challenge to say the least. I am reworking the far left side. I need more storage tracks!!!! LOL

20200522_163117.jpg
20200522_163123.jpg

I want to make some constructive (literally) criticisms. But I'd want your permission first as they could hurt your feelings..I'm not being sarcastic..

If it were me, I think I'd strip everything off the diorama and start from scratch on placement of buildings and details. In the long run it will probably be easier to start over, than try to blend everything together and to match track spacing and scenery. JMO

Back