JTEX A switcher junkyard

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
I have been wanting to start my switcher junkyard for a long time now. Well with the garage now built, I started building the bench work today. I have four 4' X 6' sections and one 4' X 6' that will be rounded. Right now the height is 44" high once the plywood gets put on tomorrow, but I'm thinking about lowering that another 4". So here's today's progress shots.

20200516_184245.jpg
20200516_184255.jpg

Last edited:
Jerome: My base height is 40" which I generally find convenient, however, when I have to climb under to open or close a window, I need to get on my knees, which isn't desirable. It really depends on how tall you are, and your comfort, but I would leave it where you have it. I'm 6' even, and really don't have a problem bending.

Jerome: My base height is 40" which I generally find convenient, however, when I have to climb under to open or close a window, I need to get on my knees, which isn't desirable. It really depends on how tall you are, and your comfort, but I would leave it where you have it. I'm 6' even, and really don't have a problem bending.
I guess it all depends on how you feel about bending. My back was broken several years ago, making bending and remaining in that orientation painful, at best.

Jerome, I'd RAISE the layout another 4". Bending over for a long time kills my back, and the trains look better when viewed and operated from closer to eye-level. Also, it's easier to duck under the layout when it's a little higher. My home layout is 48".
Terry, I actually lowered it this morning by 6" it's 6' wide so I was having a hard time reaching the middle. much easier now.

Boris, I suffer from a very common condition. Vertically challenge syndrome. lol. I'm only 5'8" so lower works for me.

Today's progress, got the plywood on, got all 5 sections bolted together, got all 60 totes of trains under the layout, fixed a broken wire that killed 4 outlets on the NW wall and got the paint booth all set up in it's new home. So we have a 6' X 20' island with one end rounded. I think I can fit a nice switcher junkyard on that ;)

20200517_130000.jpg

J, a few issues I see:
(1) It still looks too low. 97% of the time we see real trains from the side.. Personally, I'd have the bench at about collar bone height (+-)..Looking down at them hinders realism (if this is any value to you)..It also makes getting under it to do wiring/other, way easier; especially if you leave a small armless rolling office chair to plop down in.
(2) If you are not going to move soon, think about making access holes in the middle of the ply large enough to stand in for rescuing trains, building scenery/fixing track...You can still keep the sawed out piece in the hole and sceniced, along with a way to open/remove it when needed (of which there are many ways to do this). Otherwise reaching across 3' is tedious and your arms or shirt sleeves can damage structures/other ..
(3) For fear of sounding discouraging, it's doubtable you'll be able to chop it up into an around the walls layout later. The track especially will be quite tough to keep in its same pattern when exploded out to the new walls..Unforeseen things crop up..
You are a very good carpenter, though...That's job 1....

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's progress, got the plywood on, got all 5 sections bolted together, got all 60 totes of trains under the layout, fixed a broken wire that killed 4 outlets on the NW wall and got the paint booth all set up in it's new home. So we have a 6' X 20' island with one end rounded. I think I can fit a nice switcher junkyard on that ;)

View attachment 113405
Well done! Excellent! You are on your way!! Woo hoo!

J, a few issues I see:
(1) It still looks too low. 97% of the time we see real trains from the side.. Personally, I'd have the bench at about collar bone height (+-)..Looking down at them hinders realism (if this is any value to you)..It also makes getting under it to do wiring/other, way easier; especially if you leave a small armless rolling office chair to plop down in.
(2) If you are not going to move soon, think about making access holes in the middle of the ply large enough to stand in for rescuing trains, building scenery/fixing track...You can still keep the sawed out piece in the hole and sceniced, along with a way to open/remove it when needed (of which there are many ways to do this). Otherwise reaching across 3' is tedious and your arms or shirt sleeves can damage structures/other ..
(3) For fear of sounding discouraging, it's doubtable you'll be able to chop it up into an around the walls layout later. The track especially will be quite tough to keep in its same pattern when exploded out to the new walls..Unforeseen things crop up..

The man got a plan trust me when I say this..... ;)

J, a few issues I see:
MHinLA, 1. I like the God's eye view. If I want to see it at eye level, my desk chair puts me at eye level like you were saying. 2. It'll be 8 years or so before I can retire, so for now I have the space to build this island. Making pop outs is not practical for this. It will be mostly a yard, so having pop outs would be a major pain with a lot of yard tracks. I have a good reach from either side, so getting to things shouldn't be too hard. 3. This will not be chopped up later. It will be an island sitting in the middle of the room. Later on, it will be connected to an around the room layout at the flat end. Stay tuned, it might make more sense once I start getting it all laid out. ;)

OH! I getcha now !! One huge yard-peninsula in middle of the around-the-room, later...Sorry for confusion..Though I wouldn't call it God's view, for that implies looking at layout from directly above as if layout were 1 foot off the floor. Since you're sitting but looking near directly across, I'd call it engineer's view. 👍

OH! I getcha now !! One huge yard-peninsula in middle of the around-the-room, later...Sorry for confusion..Though I wouldn't call it God's view, for that implies looking at layout from directly above as if layout were 1 foot off the floor. Since you're sitting but looking near directly across, I'd call it engineer's view. 👍
MHinLA, now your tracking with me. Sometimes it's hard for me to explain what I see in my head. Kinda like the voices I hear in there too. ;)

Back