Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening gang!

To paraphrase Mark Twain, the reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. 😉

Cracking open a cold one (cuz I deserve it) and getting ready to relax a bit. Been working feverishly to try to get some projects finished before returning to work on Wednesday. Yesterday was power washing the deck and the basement stairwell and hanging cabinets in the shed. Today I was at the workbench a good bit of the day.

20200426_213502.jpg

1 club unit (brass) 2 Midland GP38s (one Athearn, 1 Atlas) and 1 65 ton Whitcomb. The Whitcomb required most of the time, as I had to make some of the decals.
20200426_213719.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. The orange numbers on the cab are from a Microscale Roman alphabet set, they are the smallest ones on the sheet. If this gives you any clue as to how small the road name is. I had to create it in Word, import it into Photoshop to convert it into a jpeg, then resize it in a program called photo explosion to get it to the proper size. A true P.I.A. But it does match up well to the photos I have of the real thing. Tomorrow the 2 brass engines will get their decoders install along with glazing.

Mikey, Great work on the trucks, and very glad to hear you got your blockage cleared. Just reading about it hurt a little!
Willie Just get the numberboards close, that's all the prototype does!

Chet, been in my PJs all day!

Alan, I'm not a UP modelers, but those cars are exquisite.

James, never heard of that brand, but they look promising! You will have to give us a review once you have them,

Well, thats it for now, need another Peach Bellini!

Evil Bay strikes yet again.....

Does anyone have any experience with LBF Company HO scale models? I do not own any and I just bought a pair of box cars.

Supposedly a RARE 2 PACK - HO LBF Bay Line ASAB 123801 50' ACF Box Cars #7113 and #7114 NMIB
I should have them as early as Thursday this week coming. The pictures look pretty good. I read up on the history about how they went bankrupt etc.
Hard to find true reviews on quality. So I decided to pull the trigger. I got it for 39 bucks and change including shipping. We shall see if it was worth it.

Here are the pictures provided....All new in the box never opened. Hope it's a good product. It kinda remids me of BB Bev-Bel or better type quality which is fine with me.

View attachment 47304View attachment 47305View attachment 47306
James, I have some hi-cube box cars and a few dozen of the coal cars I got as kits. For weight, the coal cars just had a chunk of sheet metal you were supposed to drop in the bottom but that covered up the "tubs" when running the cars empty. I put a piece of lead rod between the tubs instead. I've never compared them to the prototype, I just run them. I also have few of the woodchip cars and thought the detail of the ribs was shallow. I had some derailment problems with E&C/ LBF cars but new trucks and wheels fixed the issue.

After I built an indexer for my rotary dumper, I found out E&C/ LBF / Huberts / Intermountain coal cars were .120" shorter than Walthers coal cars. It doesn't sound like much but the indexer arm holds onto a coupler three cars away from the dumper and the difference added up to a fail. On the first day of our quarantine, I had a new bolster ready to mold and cast to make the cars the correct length so I'll get back to that when we get back to work.

I've heard the history of the line starts with Front Range then McKean followed by E&C, LBF and finally Huberts. Each company added to the line. I think those 5 companies were all the same owner(s) and are often not spoken highly of. Recently, Intermountain has picked up at least some of the line of cars and made them available.

Good morning, y'all. The temperature has been hanging between 41° and 49° for the last 36 hours, while the weather has alternated between rain, or fog, and there is little change, so far, today. I actually painted some back drop, yesterday, and did some switching on the Reading side. At one point, I had multiple incidents of Kadee knuckle springs flying out. So, I will be repairing couplers later this afternoon. 2 box cars, and an Atlas RS1 so far. :oops:

Paul: I recall when E&C Shops were treated as top shelf kits, by the reviewers. I experienced all the shortcomings you described, buy the implication was that it wasn't the kit, but the modeler. I have a couple in the "to build" stack. Well, the were better detailed than the Athearn BB cars.

Karl: Nice work. I love the Whitcomb. As far as making decals, I think I'm going to try some soon.

Willie: We had a GP38, running around Browns Yard, the front number board kept falling out. The machinist did not think that it was worth his effort to properly repair it, so I brought the orphaned numeral home. Result was a big blue engine running around with a new style black numerals on white background on the left side, and the original white numeral on black background on the right side. The machinist kept accusing me of swiping the number board, i would only admit to it blowing off and falling into the Raritan Bay :rolleyes:.

Unfortunately, there is no let up with the number of Corona Virus cases. This morning's count is 474, + 18 from the previous. Guess we are not out of the woods, yet. I know this self quarantine, is taking it's toll on us. Too much sitting around. However, stiff and sore sure beats sick.

Southbound at North Chester St 2-3-85.jpg

Southbound freight at "Biddle st" Interlocking, approaching the Union Tunnel. February 1985.

Good Morning Everyone. Partly cloudy and 63°, the rain for this evening has been removed from the current forecast, it was only inserted yesterday! Expecting 80°+ for a few days and then 90°+ on the weekend. Too early for these kinds of temperatures. The weather geeks are saying that Sherrel is sending it to us.
I did finally finish mowing the "back 40" yesterday. That is the west side behind the barn and garden, and immediately adjacent to my pond. On the far side is my hayfield which the neighbor just plowed. It is especially lush because it includes 300' of drainage swale/berm that leads to the pond. The entire hayfield and other land west of me all drain downhill before being intercepted there.

Morning Francine. I'll take my eggs over easy with a pile of sausage patties this morning. Throw in a side of whole wheat English Muffins to fill the plate.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday regarding the current projects; Sherrel, Guy, Louis, Tom, Bob, Karl, Chad, Ken, Phil, Curt, Paul, Jerome.

Minimal day in the train shed yesterday due to my active social life, yeah! Actually spent too much time doing household and yard tasks.
I did get that excess trackage removes and replaced with a section of Tomar track bumper track.
04-27-20 001.JPG

Ready for paint now.
Since beer drinking took over my time, I set aside the modeling tools and just ran a few trains. Here's a northbound consist of GP60M's and a GP60B waiting in the siding next to the ADM grain elevator. All diesels are from Athearn.
04-27-20 003.JPG

Later a southbound uses the same siding, led by a pair of Athearn SD40-2's
04-18-20 018.JPG

Joe -
The general idea is to have something to do while the glue dries, or an escape when things aren't going as well as expected.
That is precisely the reason that I have several projects going at once.
Guy - Never heard of the Kinks! Really big in the 60's, a lesser degree in the 70's and 80's. Think back to "You Really Got Me", "All Day and All of the Night", "Sunny Afternoon", "Well Respected Man" and "Lola".
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/kinks-songs/
I have seen your photo of the mismatched fonts which will be my example until I decide to fix mine.
Dave - Yes, 1969 was a great year for concerts for me. I saw Creedence that year at the Texas Pop Festival, not quite as spectacular but they were good nonetheless. Probably saw 40 different groups that year at the festival and elsewhere. That's the reason that I now have hearing aids! My very favorite show was the next year when the all of original Allman Brothers played in the State Fair Music Hall in Dallas.
Louis -
Willie, is that from Ticketron?
Most likely yes.
Greg -
I have to run...going for a ride with the wife's and get some fresh air.
You probably needed the fresh air after breathing all of that trapped decoder smoke.
I saw Chicago (then known as Chicago Transit Authority) twice in '69. Once at the pop festival and again at the previously mentioned Music Hall. Every song that they played was 10-15 minutes long. I never had the opportunity to see BS&T. They didn't sell beer at concerts locally until the mid-70's sometime. Didn't need to bring your own weed, as someone was always passing it down the row!;)
Chet - The numberboard is on the "round tuit" list. I have to get over being bummed out first.
When that new neighbor starts building, it will be the first new home built within a ten mile radius in the last 5-6 years. It will be far enough back on the property behind several tree rows that it won't be visible from the road.
Curt - Coal tipple is really coming along nicely.
James - Sure is a lot of those LBF cars available on EBay. I personally don't own, although I own a couple of E&C models which came from the same guy.

Remember that today is National Prime Rib Day. Mine looks to be 90% thawed out right now. Mmmmh! Delicious.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning Everybody,

Covid-19 got personal, we lost a family member. My Mom's 90 year old brother gave in over the weekend. He was in a nursing home suffering with sever dementia and his kids were spread far and wide. My faith makes me believe he is in a better place. God be with you Uncle Charles as my thoughts and prayers are.

My Mom is sad, but I never got to know him. I only met him twice, both times at funerals. He retired as a Professor of Dentistry for the University of Maryland and had a long-time successful practice. Lots of extremes in my parent's siblings and cousins. My parents and their families makes the Simpsons look like a model family, but that's another story. The good news is; life and family are a lot better for my kids, grandsons, nieces and nephews. They are much more successful as a whole, live and learn. Everybody knows Uncle Lou and has my number. I'm blessed , my kids all live within 3 miles of me. My son and his wife live only 2 blocks away.

Time for me to go, my youngest daughter will be here shortly. She is always checking on Mom and dad and bringing us hand-sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, face masks or what ever she finds at Costco, bless her heart. The others call me regularly, why always when I'm watching a good movie? Thank God for the pause button.

Have a great day Everybody!

Good Morning, everyone! The sun is well up in the beautiful blue sky, at my favorite time of the day. It's 37F right now; perfect weather to go continue my planter building job for the wealthiest old lady I know. Sad thing is, her husband had to die in a workplace accident to make her that rich. There was one heck of a settlement after he fell out of a helicopter doing linesman work.

I'm having a toasted fried egg, cheese, and bar-b-cued roast sandwich, along with a couple of coffee's before I go to work. I can't get there until 10am anyway, as the client likes to sleep in a bit.

Yesterday was Laaayyyzzzzzy! I went outside to look at a white pine stump I'm supposed to dig out of the front yard. Never got passed the looking part, though. I'm hoping it won't be there anymore when I walk out in the front yard again.
No hobby stuff what-so-ever. Just couldn't get my head into it, even though I have oodles of different things to do.

Willie - I did listen to a couple of songs from your link. I know the songs, just didn't know the group. Never did follow music, though, and only attended concerts to pick up chicks, or get drunked up. Back in the day!
I think half the reason I come in here is due to your wonderful hobby posts every morning, with all the photos! I do look forward to you're morning discussions.
Karl - Beautiful paint on those locomotive shells. Well done, indeed. I'm so happy you're back in showing us a craftsman work again.
Alan - Those cars look very looong, and beautiful. You've done a fine decaling job on them.
Boris - You always dig up some great pictures. I find myself scanning the horizon in your photos, looking for the railway structures.
Louis - I do like the railway photos you post. I'm not sure why you make post after post after post, though. Why not just make one with all the pictures? Do you like the 'Post' button that much?

Well, I need to make a move! I just gotta throw in a couple photos, though. Very similar to what I've posted already, but I hope the 'what's happening' story is told just by looking at the photos. Herzog has been in the area all winter.
RailWorks1.jpg

RailWorks2.jpg

So, we're not the only ones doing some hobby work!

All have a great day!
Guy

Morning all,

Took a while to process the number of furloughs this morning, fortunately they're coming back in a month or so. I'm on a reduced schedule for the next month or so as well. Doing my part to save my employer some local tax dollars. My original math was wrong as to how I get funding with the cut in hours, but still will be about $400 per week ahead of the game. Talk about incentive to work less..... ;)

Nothing on the trains this weekend. I had a garden to get in and the wife wanted her flowers planted, so that's done. Hopefully this year I'll get tomatoes and not tomato plants. For the first time I've put calcium in with the tomatoes as last year I had more blossom end rot than I had usable tomatoes. Apples are looking up this year, the peaches are gone. The cold snap got them, but the apples hadn't yet started, so they look good for the first time ever. Now to keep the bugs out of them.

Good morning ....

I just read your posts. A lot of interesting things going on.

Louis .... Condolences to you and your family regarding your Uncle Charles passing away. .... The streetcar snowplow is interesting. The employees are in uniform with white shirts and ties. I bet the collars are starched too.

Guy .... I see big pile of spikes in front of the locomotives. Is that a clue ?

WIllie .... Nice layout photos. I like the red and silver GP60's.

Alan .... The City of San Francisco carfare looking great.

Chet .... I recall seeing the South Shore Little Joes hauling freight trains. They were impressive.

Everybody ..... Have a nice Monday.

Bright and Sunny for the next three days with an 86, 88, and 89 high temp!
Good Day troops!
FLO, good morning: Just scrambled today with a bowl of those delicious looking beans with a generous helping of salsa - both on the eggs and beans! Throw a handful of bacon and some sourdough toast on the plate too!

Willie - It's just hard to NOT see those Red and Silver SF Units! In my opinion has to be one of the best looking designs out there.
Since you like the weather I sent - I'll be passing along quite a bit more over the next several months! Just make sure that your A/C is serviced.
1587997428631.png

Bright and Sunny for the next three days with an 86, 88, and 89 high temp!
Good Day troops!
FLO, good morning: Just scrambled today with a bowl of those delicious looking beans with a generous helping of salsa - both on the eggs and beans! Throw a handful of bacon and some sourdough toast on the plate too!

Willie - It's just hard to NOT see those Red and Silver SF Units! In my opinion has to be one of the best looking designs out there.
Since you like the weather I sent - I'll be passing along quite a bit more over the next several months! Just make sure that your A/C is serviced.
View attachment 47328
I'm not too familiar with locos that are older than I am. Is that an RS-1?

Good morning Everybody,

Covid-19 got personal, we lost a family member. My Mom's 90 year old brother gave in over the weekend. He was in a nursing home suffering with sever dementia and his kids were spread far and wide. My faith makes me believe he is in a better place. God be with you Uncle Charles as my thoughts and prayers are.

My Mom is sad, but I never got to know him. I only met him twice, both times at funerals. He retired as a Professor of Dentistry for the University of Maryland and had a long-time successful practice. Lots of extremes in my parent's siblings and cousins. My parents and their families makes the Simpsons look like a model family, but that's another story. The good news is; life and family are a lot better for my kids, grandsons, nieces and nephews. They are much more successful as a whole, live and learn. Everybody knows Uncle Lou and has my number. I'm blessed , my kids all live within 3 miles of me. My son and his wife live only 2 blocks away.

Time for me to go, my youngest daughter will be here shortly. She is always checking on Mom and dad and bringing us hand-sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, face masks or what ever she finds at Costco, bless her heart. The others call me regularly, why always when I'm watching a good movie? Thank God for the pause button.

Have a great day Everybody!
Just so long as you don’t go “Unca Lou” on us & decide that all diner discords need to be settled “in the ring”. 😂
But in all seriousness, my condolences on the passing of your uncle.

Good Morning Everyone........Sunny but rain in the forecast.

Trains after lunch after a late start!

First order of business is to wipe down the SOO GP38-2 that I just installed DCC. I use Window to wipe the finger prints off the loco. Then I plan to just Pan Pastel to lightly add Black weathering to the intakes, exhausts and other areas. I may do the trucks as well with a light air brushing with "Dirt" followed by Dullcote.

While I'm masting off the grills, I make just do the windows as well and then I can do a spray fade coat, rather than an application of White Pan Pastels to tone down the SOO lettering. More and more weathering.

I have to open my order from All Electronics. Hopefully the mini-side cutters I ordered is what I need. I been updating my modeling tools with higher quality tools and they sure perform better.

Later get fuel for my pick up at .50 cents a gallon with a coupn and my wife has a coupon that will get her gasoline for .40 cents a gallon.

That's all for now.....

Greg

####################

1588004647794.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back