The way I see it, This is Railphotog's fault

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
That's right Bob, you're to blame. Threads like this http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2426, photos like this... It all added up.
Swamp_Shot.jpg

Then I thought, model pics are just a start, there's railfanning and historical sites that need to be photographed too. But you planted the original seed...

The addiction started with the Canon 400 dSLR. Hey, that was only a grand. :rolleyes: Then reality dawned on me, what good is an dSLR without extra lenses? Bob, you forgot to mention the price of high end camera glass...

Today my new Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 ($450) and Canon EF70-200mm f4 L ($650) showed up. These are the cheap end of "pro" optics. The sickness continues...

As I sit here waiting for LGM's new Canon Rebel 350D to show up ;) , I can't help but wonder if I'll have to upgrade my 400D camera body to the new pro rated 40D ($1400?) when it comes out. Whatdaya think Bob, upgrade and keep the 400 as a spare body or go for broke and get a 5D?:D:D:D

First shot with the old Sony P&S in a long time.
252668961.jpg

I found out that if you change the setting of how long the lense is open, you go from this:
img5790bz8.jpg

img5791qx3.jpg

-Smoke

Well it looks like you're ahead of me, already becoming an equipment freak! Keep in mind it's not necessarily the camera but the photographer who takes great photos!

I just have the Rebel XT with its 18-55mm kit lens that I use most of the time for my model photos. I do have lenses from my days of Canon film cameras, a 28mm, 50mm, 70-210mm and a 100-300mm. Also a Sigma 28-70mm.

The more expensive bodies won't make that much of a difference in the finished photos, get to use what you now have first.

Have fun!

Here's a prototype shot I took last week, a local shortline was hauling seven large tanks to a pulp mill in a special move.

Nice pix Smoke.

Josh, the Sony A100 would be cool. I like the camera body based IS.

Nice proto shot Bob! The kit lens is capable of some decent pics. I wanted something faster, sharper and longer, thus the new glass.

René, You and Bob are right about the photographers skills being key to great photos. Still, the equipment needs to be up to the job too. I'm working on both. ;)

Yeah, It's pretty much a Minolta camera, with Sony digital insides. Buying the Sony is a matter of personal choice, as its comparable to most Cannon offerings, somewhere around the 20D range, I guess.

Oh Brother! Eric, you are very sick!:eek: I figured that you would get very ill with this new disease.:D

I would ask myself:
What will I shoot that needs the better quality equipment?
Where do I plan on showing the photos and does that warrant the difference?

And:
Can I make lots and lots of $$$money$$$ with the better photos to pay for all of this?:D :D
What will I have to buy the boss lady to equal things out?:confused:
Will this be grounds for divorce?:eek:

When you have answered all the above, DO IT anyway and be Happy!:)

I would stay with your present beast GM and practice at getting the best view of your subject. i am limited to an Olympus c-120 point and shoot with a whopping 2MP's, i have to work at getting a good picture with the limitations available in my camera, but it is possible i found out to get that above average shot. keep practising and pushing the boundries with what you have.

I still use my antiquated Canon Digital Rebel EOS that I bought back in April 2004. Don't have much choice, my disposable income is scarce-to-nil. Decoders are a higher priority at the moment.

The way I see it is that Eric has stopped being a model railroader. He never plays with his trains. The last few posts on WPP that were your layout were "from the archives."

Eric, either play with your trains or find a photo forum to post on.

This is getting ridiculous.

The way I see it is that Eric has stopped being a model railroader. He never plays with his trains. The last few posts on WPP that were your layout were "from the archives."

Eric, either play with your trains or find a photo forum to post on.

This is getting ridiculous.

Let's see, things to do list...

• eat lunch
  • play with camera
  • delete Spacemouse account

:D :D :D

OK folk's calm down, we'll have none of that Model railroader forum stuff in here, :mad: ;) were all in the same boat, except Fergie, he has his own:D

I still use my antiquated Canon Digital Rebel EOS that I bought back in April 2004.

As I do my Nikon D70, bought in May 2004 and still state of the art with a good lens..
I will only invest in a top notch lens or a flash unit, otherwise I'll wait till a full frame body will be availale. (And I would be willing to take a second mortgage for that, if there's anyhting left after the investment in music instruments for my daughters this year........I used to have a budget for model trains also...)

Regards,

René

Back