Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just the money you would save on taxes and fuel oil would make it a smart move. Not to mention the snow shoveling. Most of my classmates moved to NC after retiring. None of them want to move back. On a past thread about how much more time do you have now that your retired. A lot of people said they have less time. I don't know what's going on there? I wake up looking for things to do. A lot of my friends are not playing golf right now so I have even more spare time.
George
George: Anywhere, from Mass to Northern Virginia is expensive, Jersey sucks the financial life out of one's savings. I've been retired since 2008, and have been "moving" ever since. Unfortunately, things happen to keep us here. my timing is never right. :rolleyes: If the MIL situation gets resolved, before we are too old ourselves, we plan on moving to NC, near where second son lives. If you're going to do it, start looking and find a place now, before you actually retire.

Louis:
Yo! how ya doin?

Race St, November 1977.jpg

Race Street in 1977. (Philadelphia), Spent a lot of time there during my railroad career.

A late Good Morning All. Foggy and 67°. The forecast is for 92° today after reaching 85° yesterday; cold front coming tonight and the high tomorrow and through the weekend in the low 70's, upper 50's at the beginning of next week. Spring ain't over yet!
Life goes on through this time of self-quarantine. I didn't mention that my wife did our taxes last Sunday and we're expecting a nice refund due to the change in the tax laws from a couple of years ago. That four figure refund plus our "stimulus" money is going to make for a pleasant trip to the LHS once they re-open. She is obviously postponing the knee replacement surgery for her other knee right now.
I found six dead baby opossums in the yard yesterday morning. Not sure how they got there. Opossums are marsupials and carry their young in a pouch like a kangaroo, so it isn't like the granddog disturbed a nest. They were almost weaned and were each about the size of a small rat. Yes I still have the granddog. Since my daughter and SIL both can work from home, and my grandsons are tele-conferencing their schoolwork, they decided to stay on Padre Island (on the Texas Gulf coast) for a whole month instead of just a week. They have an isolated condo all to themselves and the leasing agent gave them a heck of a deal, four weeks for the price of two. Meanwhile my other daughter used some of her "off time" to go over and remove the perishables from her refrigerator.

Eggs over-easy and a handful of bacon this morning Flo. And a double OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks for the likes and comments for the layout photos yesterday; Jerome, Sherrel, Bob, Karl, Greg, Patrick, Paul, James, George, Curt, Joe, Ken, Rick, Chet, Tom.

I put the finishing touches except for the stairs to the loading dock, on the antiques shop yesterday. Electric meter, soda machine, sewer vent pipe, assorted crates and those wood stoves that came with the kit.
04-08-20 001.JPG

04-08-20 004.JPG

Managed to also get the front stair hand railing done and painted.
04-08-20 002.JPG

It's getting used to its permanent location on the layout for a few days while I make the additional stairs and look for an antique park bench for the front porch.
04-08-20 005.JPG

Guy - It is a large layout but it doesn't get particularly dusty. There's a few dead insects that get in and become dehydrated and spider webs from very tiny spiders. I have it divided into eight roughly equal sections and do one section every quarter, so each area gets a cleaning once every two years.
Bob - We got one of those robot vacuums when my wife had her knee replacement. She didn't like the manner or timing of letting me vacuum. Ours is really a stupid machine. I liken it to a blind squirrel who finds an acorn every now and then. It endlessly moves over the same area until I kick it elsewhere!
George - That's a drag for your wife regarding that drug that I can't spell. It's obviously safe when administered by a qualified doctor for what it is meant for.
Beady - That's refreshing to read that your local TV station has a half hour of good news every night. The world isn't about to end as politicians on both sides of the spectrum would have us believe. And these "expert" doctors on TV, they won't be happy until all of us are dressed in complete haz-mat suits and tethered to our homes.
Terry -
I know these are trying times, and tensions and emotions are running close to the surface, but the "No Politics" rule has not been rescinded.
Wondered when that was coming, things were getting close.
Louis - Glad to read that all is going well.

Had to interrupt composing this post as our water stopped running. :mad: Made the slow trek out to the meter and back verifying that I had no visible leaks and then I heard a back-up beeper on a piece of equipment down the road. I went back out to look in that direction and could only see those power company vehicles putting up those damn view obscuring poles. Oooops! What if they hit the water line that was marked by a bunch of blue flags? Called the water company and indeed that is what happened and a crew was on the way. It will be a couple of hours before it is fixed in a best case scenario. They are usually very prompt and efficient when this happens. I don't know if the flags were misplaced or if the power company was stupid! o_O

Everybody have a great day and it looks like National Beer Day might have to continue here for a while longer.

Morning from the West! It is still cloudy and rainy. We added another inch to the basket yesterday which brings us to 4 full inches above normal. For the record: last year was the rainiest year here since records started being kept here in 1980.
The local Forecast remains the same: rain and cloudy today and tomorrow with temperature of 56 to 58 degrees for highs.

I'm not going to say that I am bored, but I desperately need to take the pups out - let them sniff and run, but these wet days really make a mess. Larger dog, Foxie, jumped in bed at 4:30 thia morning soaking wet from a venture out to do her business = I had to bolt out of bed to grab a towel in order to wipe her down. The two little ones will hold and hold until they are ready to pop - sometimes not making it fully into the grass before squatting.

I need to make a quick dash to the store - I always mix some cooked chicken with their dry food and I need a couple packages of cheap chicken; I had to give them a more expensive breast last night and also need some coffee - down to the last few pods for the machine.

I know that I have not posted anything to do with RRing today - occasionally it happens.
JOE .. Another great photo!

I read em all, folks - keep them coming.

Good Morning Everyone...some what over cast and mild. It was 80 degrees yesterday and on Saturday the predictors are calling for rain mixed with snow. One of worst snowstorm came in April around the 15th. I was working as a Landscape Designers and one of the owners of the company had a large landscape job that had to be completed by a certain April date, so sod was ordered in from southern Illinois where the grass greens up faster at an earlier date in Spring than in Wisconsin. A semi trailer of sod arrived at the job site just as it started snowing and the two crews started laying the sod. The owner of the company called the office for every available person to come and help lay sod.

I was dressed in sort of business causal not intending to do physical work and ai got so dirty handling the sod. We finished with the last roll of sod with people raking the snow of f the bare ground and then laying rolls of sod. When we finished, the snow covered every square foot of the finished yard. It looked like Christmas with the snow on the ground, but the job got completed on time. I left work at 3:00 PM that day and didn't return to work for another two days due to the heavy snow.

The landscape contractor arrived this morning to spray our Marshall's Ash with a treatment for the Emerald Ash Borer, an insect that will kill a mature or even younger ash trees Ash trees are being lost by the millions in the United States and this tree is about 35 years old and I planted it as a young seedling. Most of the ash trees in the neighbor are dead or have been cut down. The cost of the annual treatment is equal to a nice locomotive.

I'll be down in the train room after lunch and working again on ore cars.

Thanks for the kind comments on the wiring projects. My wire never arrived yesterday via FedEx....? Tracking found my package in Waukesha, Wisconsin and delivery will be by 8:00 PM today.

I have my commonly used modeling supplies on a medium sized, metal chrome rolling cart and I have holders for spools of wire along with the three shelves for supplies. Now if I only got into the habit of return the supplies to the cart when I'm finished using them. Its handy to be able to roll the cart around to the various projects and the cart can be stored under the layout. I have taller plastic storage cabinet with lessor used supplies and that too is stored under the layout.

I bid on 12 MILW road box cars which I don't need, but I'm in the buying mood and 12 cars with different numbers is plus. I'm not sure what my maximum bid amount is that I'm willing to spend.

Back to other things.....

Greg

#############################

Howdy again .....

Patrick ... It is good to see your progress with building your layout.

Willie ......... Wow ! You certainly added a lot of realistic details to your outstanding building !

Boris .... Nice photo of what looks like had working GG1's.

Greg .... Are the 12 MILW boxcars the kind that have horizontal ribs?

Today will be our 28th day of "social distance" at home. It has not been bad at all. I am working on my layout and running trains. We do go outside. For exercise we walk on the big new highway bridge nearby.

Beady - That's refreshing to read that your local TV station has a half hour of good news every night. The world isn't about to end as politicians on both sides of the spectrum would have us believe. And these "expert" doctors on TV, they won't be happy until all of us are dressed in complete haz-mat suits and tethered to our homes.
I also have a problem with the emphasis on gloves. Now, this is context sensitive - for example, I went through the pharmacy's drive-thru yesterday, and paid note to what got touched. There was my bank card, the card machine, the prescription bag and the steering wheel. If you follow all the guidance, I should have washed off the steering wheel as soon as I got home, disinfected the bag, as well as the contents and interior of my wallet, and then my hands. I should then have gone around and sterilized the doorknob from when I entered the house, my keys, and everything I touched in the house. And finally, dispose of the gloves. Who has the time and energy for that? Besides, gloves are supposedly in just as short a supply as masks and other gear; save it for the caregivers.

Most stores around here offer free wipes to wipe down the handle of your shopping cart. Practically speaking, that's enough. Very few people put their hands on the products, and I don't see how the risk is elevated much beyond normal. Just wear your homemade mask (for protecting others), keep your distance, and wash/disinfect your hands at ever opportunity, and that should be sufficient.

I also have a problem with the emphasis on gloves. Now, this is context sensitive - for example, I went through the pharmacy's drive-thru yesterday, and paid note to what got touched. There was my bank card, the card machine, the prescription bag and the steering wheel. If you follow all the guidance, I should have washed off the steering wheel as soon as I got home, disinfected the bag, as well as the contents and interior of my wallet, and then my hands. I should then have gone around and sterilized the doorknob from when I entered the house, my keys, and everything I touched in the house. And finally, dispose of the gloves. Who has the time and energy for that? Besides, gloves are supposedly in just as short a supply as masks and other gear; save it for the caregivers.

Most stores around here offer free wipes to wipe down the handle of your shopping cart. Practically speaking, that's enough. Very few people put their hands on the products, and I don't see how the risk is elevated much beyond normal. Just wear your homemade mask (for protecting others), keep your distance, and wash/disinfect your hands at ever opportunity, and that should be sufficient.
Our local (2 blocks away) grocery store has assigned a person to wipe down the handles of the shopping carts and baskets as they are returned to the store from the customers using them.
As for masks, I keep seeing something showing face masks are where the virus lives longest, by a matter of days longer. No corroborating evidence, but it's certainly something that should be considered.

One virus fact that is missed in y opinion is even though a person maybe be a carrier of virus, a sneeze maybe not contain a single Corona Virus or is the virus found everywhere. Precautions are still necessary and recommended. My wife wipes down daily all the used door knobs, handles, counters and other handle items in our home with a disinfectant, even with us following the "Safer at Home" policy.

I for one can't contract the virus and my MD's are instructing me to stay at home for another two months at least to avoid contact with others.

Greg

Boris Race Street in 1977. (Philadelphia), Spent a lot of time there during my railroad career.

George - That's a drag for your wife regarding that drug that I can't spell. It's obviously safe when administered by a qualified doctor for what it is meant for.

So Boris you worked for the Penn Central or maybe Conrail I guess in 1977? I was there then. I was on one of those New Haven GG1 type engines once. Very strange. The fireman can't see what the engineer is doing. He could be sleeping and you wouldn't know it?

Willie you mean hydroxychlorquine and that's not correct. Nice house you got going there though. My wife takes it for rheumatoid arthritis. Why? I haven't a clue?
George

Afternoon All,

Today I assembled the doors and windows (stick togethers:confused:) and separated the remaining parts in 3 piles on the workbench. Tomorrow I'll start assembling the buildings. The grandkids are here in the pool blowing off energy while daughter is setting up lesson plans (grade school teacher) on her school computer.

Joe- I went through 4 versions until everything worked for me. Nice yard shot.

Patrick- Very nice job on the control panel.

Louis- Welcome back and stay safe. We have a similar issue with our fuse panel (only labeled with one name).

Terry- That's funny.

Karl- Best wishes with your stepson.

Ken- I hope your daughter stays safe.

Willie- Very nice details. They add a lot of interest.

Sherrel- We're down around 6" in Central Florida.

Greg- Good luck with the bid.

Chet- Happy Birthday.

I hope everyone has a good night.

A late Good Morning All. Foggy and 67°. The forecast is for 92° today after reaching 85° yesterday; cold front coming tonight and the high tomorrow and through the weekend in the low 70's, upper 50's at the beginning of next week. Spring ain't over yet!
Life goes on through this time of self-quarantine. I didn't mention that my wife did our taxes last Sunday and we're expecting a nice refund due to the change in the tax laws from a couple of years ago. That four figure refund plus our "stimulus" money is going to make for a pleasant trip to the LHS once they re-open. She is obviously postponing the knee replacement surgery for her other knee right now.
I found six dead baby opossums in the yard yesterday morning. Not sure how they got there. Opossums are marsupials and carry their young in a pouch like a kangaroo, so it isn't like the granddog disturbed a nest. They were almost weaned and were each about the size of a small rat. Yes I still have the granddog. Since my daughter and SIL both can work from home, and my grandsons are tele-conferencing their schoolwork, they decided to stay on Padre Island (on the Texas Gulf coast) for a whole month instead of just a week. They have an isolated condo all to themselves and the leasing agent gave them a heck of a deal, four weeks for the price of two. Meanwhile my other daughter used some of her "off time" to go over and remove the perishables from her refrigerator.

Eggs over-easy and a handful of bacon this morning Flo. And a double OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks for the likes and comments for the layout photos yesterday; Jerome, Sherrel, Bob, Karl, Greg, Patrick, Paul, James, George, Curt, Joe, Ken, Rick, Chet, Tom.

I put the finishing touches except for the stairs to the loading dock, on the antiques shop yesterday. Electric meter, soda machine, sewer vent pipe, assorted crates and those wood stoves that came with the kit.
View attachment 46174

View attachment 46176
Managed to also get the front stair hand railing done and painted.
View attachment 46177
It's getting used to its permanent location on the layout for a few days while I make the additional stairs and look for an antique park bench for the front porch.
View attachment 46178

Guy - It is a large layout but it doesn't get particularly dusty. There's a few dead insects that get in and become dehydrated and spider webs from very tiny spiders. I have it divided into eight roughly equal sections and do one section every quarter, so each area gets a cleaning once every two years.
Bob - We got one of those robot vacuums when my wife had her knee replacement. She didn't like the manner or timing of letting me vacuum. Ours is really a stupid machine. I liken it to a blind squirrel who finds an acorn every now and then. It endlessly moves over the same area until I kick it elsewhere!
Terry -

Wondered when that was coming, things were getting close.
Louis - Glad to read that all is going well.

Had to interrupt composing this post as our water stopped running. :mad: Made the slow trek out to the meter and back verifying that I had no visible leaks and then I heard a back-up beeper on a piece of equipment down the road. I went back out to look in that direction and could only see those power company vehicles putting up those damn view obscuring poles. Oooops! What if they hit the water line that was marked by a bunch of blue flags? Called the water company and indeed that is what happened and a crew was on the way. It will be a couple of hours before it is fixed in a best case scenario. They are usually very prompt and efficient when this happens. I don't know if the flags were misplaced or if the power company was stupid! o_O

Everybody have a great day and it looks like National Beer Day might have to continue here for a while longer.
Willie that house is just awesome! Great job! I am watching and learning your attention to detail. Incredible work!

Good Morning Everyone...some what over cast and mild. It was 80 degrees yesterday and on Saturday the predictors are calling for rain mixed with snow. One of worst snowstorm came in April around the 15th. I was working as a Landscape Designers and one of the owners of the company had a large landscape job that had to be completed by a certain April date, so sod was ordered in from southern Illinois where the grass greens up faster at an earlier date in Spring than in Wisconsin. A semi trailer of sod arrived at the job site just as it started snowing and the two crews started laying the sod. The owner of the company called the office for every available person to come and help lay sod.

I was dressed in sort of business causal not intending to do physical work and ai got so dirty handling the sod. We finished with the last roll of sod with people raking the snow of f the bare ground and then laying rolls of sod. When we finished, the snow covered every square foot of the finished yard. It looked like Christmas with the snow on the ground, but the job got completed on time. I left work at 3:00 PM that day and didn't return to work for another two days due to the heavy snow.

The landscape contractor arrived this morning to spray our Marshall's Ash with a treatment for the Emerald Ash Borer, an insect that will kill a mature or even younger ash trees Ash trees are being lost by the millions in the United States and this tree is about 35 years old and I planted it as a young seedling. Most of the ash trees in the neighbor are dead or have been cut down. The cost of the annual treatment is equal to a nice locomotive.

I'll be down in the train room after lunch and working again on ore cars.

Thanks for the kind comments on the wiring projects. My wire never arrived yesterday via FedEx....? Tracking found my package in Waukesha, Wisconsin and delivery will be by 8:00 PM today.

I have my commonly used modeling supplies on a medium sized, metal chrome rolling cart and I have holders for spools of wire along with the three shelves for supplies. Now if I only got into the habit of return the supplies to the cart when I'm finished using them. Its handy to be able to roll the cart around to the various projects and the cart can be stored under the layout. I have taller plastic storage cabinet with lessor used supplies and that too is stored under the layout.

I bid on 12 MILW road box cars which I don't need, but I'm in the buying mood and 12 cars with different numbers is plus. I'm not sure what my maximum bid amount is that I'm willing to spend.

Back to other things.....

Greg

#############################
Good luck on the box cars....funny about that buying mood. It's an almost uncontrollable mood....lol

So Boris you worked for the Penn Central or maybe Conrail I guess in 1977? I was there then. I was on one of those New Haven GG1 type engines once. Very strange. The fireman can't see what the engineer is doing. He could be sleeping and you wouldn't know it?

Willie you mean hydroxychlorquine and that's not correct. Nice house you got going there though. My wife takes it for rheumatoid arthritis. Why? I haven't a clue?
George

George: In 1977, I was employed by Amtrak. I was the Road Foreman at Race Street. Conrail supplied the manpower. I did maintain mt rights on Conrail, and when my year's Loan to Amtrak was up in September, I returned to Conrail. I exercised my seniority and spent the rest of the year working in freight.
Not sure, but Hydroxychlorquine sodium is used combined with Methotrexate to force the RA into remission.

Willie: Excellent detail work there. Are the stoves and Coke machine included with the kit or part of your stash of details?

Garry: By 1977, the GG1s were on their last legs. The replacement E60s were not living up to expectations. The experimental Swedish Meatballs, and the French motor were undergoing testing on the corrodor. Fun times at Race Street.

NHSE at Beacon NY 1981.jpg

Conrail on the Hudson Division in 1981. Train NHSE at Beacon.

Good afternoon. Just finished lunch and am getting ready to go back outside but thought I should check in. We finally got some warmer weather (65) and started getting ready for spring if it ever gets here. Yesterday I went and seeded some places where I killed mot only weeds, but some lawn also. This morning I put the dump wagon behind the tractor and started picking up all of the crap that blew into the yard and also was picking up small branches that have been blown off of the trees. Really starting to get tired of being cooped up. I haven't been to town in over a month.

So tired of nothing but 24/7 gloom and doom news on the TV. There has been some good new out there but the new media can't seem to find it. I do realize that this is a serious situation, but come on.

92006500_2593864270885287_2182775196702736384_n.jpg My two cents.

I have been watching some excellent YouYube videos on model railroad and trains along with other videos to pass time. It was nice to have things warm up a bit so I can takes walks down the lane. Need some exercise.

Karl - Hope your daughter comes through this in good health.

Willie
- Those are some nice photos. You got a lot of interest into that corner.

Guy
- Those Tichy flat cars are sweet. I put a few 40footers together years back and they're still my favorite flats.

Greg
- Your wiring sure looks neat compared to some of mine.

Curt
- The track plan looks interesting. Not as long of a run as your old layout. Thanks for the birthday greeting. No need to celebrate at my age.

Chadbag
- You had a lot of courage going into Wal-Mart. I hear that they are limiting how many people can go inside here. I haven't seen the inside of a Wal-Mart for probably 20 years. My wife who does all of the grocery shopping stopped going there because that always seemed to be out of every day items. She did hit the lotto when she came up with a 48 pack of Charmin. We're not hoarding as out kids can come and get some.

Louis
- Nice to see you back in here again. Welcome back. We get a lot of items from Amazon mainly because local retailers either don't carry what we're looking for or over charge for it

Patrick - Looks like you've been using home time for a good purpose.

Joe
- Always enjoy your photos. Those GG-1's look like they could use a bath.

Here's a railroad photo.

FB_IMG_1584701497854.jpg

I have work waiting outside. Better get to it because lows will be back in the teens by Saturday.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back