Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side question, on the right side of the last picture you can see the gap where the sections come together. How would you fill those? The occurred due the bench work being dismantled and stored for a while before being reassembled in a slightly different pattern 4 years ago. I'm thinking sheet rock tape with a little bit of joint compound as other tape may become loose over the years.
Patrick, I think I am seeing the same things that James was. His ideas will all work, I myself wondered if you couldn't pack the gap with either a thin strip of foam coated with white glue,(kinda permanent) or being an automotive nut, fill the void with 3M strip caulk. It has the feel of modeling clay, and could always be removed later if the layout was disassembled again. It will take paint(and ground foam)also.

Patrick, I think I am seeing the same things that James was. His ideas will all work, I myself wondered if you couldn't pack the gap with either a thin strip of foam coated with white glue,(kinda permanent) or being an automotive nut, fill the void with 3M strip caulk. It has the feel of modeling clay, and could always be removed later if the layout was disassembled again. It will take paint(and ground foam)also.

Duct tape painted brown and covered with scenery would hide the seam and be easy to cut if the layout was moved. Or, clump ground foam glued to either side of the seam....

Greg

Those trailers came as a bonus surprise when I purchased Larry the old fart's vehicle collection when he left the hobby a few years ago. I believe that I also have a dozen. I was actually thinking along the same lines, using a couple in a campground scene and most in a trailer sales lot. I still have a couple of his cars that have trailer hitches that would work in the campground. That is the presumptive location for the sales lot, where there will be an off-layout road in front of it.
Thanks for the reply. I am leaning toward the sales lot as I have a larger trailer to use as a sales office.

Lurking today -- supposed to be 79 high today and sunny; however it is solid overcast and 63 at 11:15 AM.

On the search for TP today -- not an emergency, but the way things are around here, we better have some extra on hand?
Cheers!

Send that weather up here please! High of 44 damp and wet from the last 3 days of rain. Better than snow though.....

Plan to get my boat out this weekend! Going after some crappies yum yum!

Then prepare for the spring gobble too! May 1st get to bag 2 of them this spring!

Good afternoon folks, looking for a bit of help here. Need a quick test of a website to verify it's not giving error messages. Once I'm convinced I've got it working there, I'll be upgrading this site too. You don't need to know anything about web security! In fact, the less you know, the better, I want to get the impression from just regular members, so if there's any confusion, I know about it now.

More info and a place to reply:

Good afternoon folks, looking for a bit of help here. Need a quick test of a website to verify it's not giving error messages. Once I'm convinced I've got it working there, I'll be upgrading this site too. You don't need to know anything about web security! In fact, the less you know, the better, I want to get the impression from just regular members, so if there's any confusion, I know about it now.

More info and a place to reply:

Bob: tested as requested and posted results elsewhere.

Alcomotive, kbkchooch, Greg: Thanks for the replies. You do indeed see that the seams between the panels need to be filled. I had considered duct tape, but when it gets old, the tape makes a mess and I'm concerned about the long term deterioration of the foam under the tape. While I have no intention of tearing it down again, (never say never), I want to be able to tear it down if need be. My thought is that the paper tape used with sheet rock compound will stop the compound from being too deep as to crack. I hadn't considered a caulk or expandable foam as well.

Beady ... my prayers are sincere and tha for accepting them. I can not verify what happened to me to others, but I know myself they were real. Remember faith is a spiritual understanding without proof. People can pay attention to their feelings if they choose to do so. That said, please continue with whatever beliefs are comfortable with you.

Everybody ... Have a good night.
Garry, I know your prayers are sincere and, again, I thank you for them. Atheists and believers often, almost always, forget or ignore that the folks on the other side are decent folk, if misguided.

Meanwhile, March is ending as it began. It seems one of my molars is broken off at the root, and I'm seeing an oral surgeon tomorrow.

Afternoon All,

Picked up 2 thin sheets of aluminum cut to the size of the drop trays for the Macaws that are rusting through. I cleaned them today and will let them dry overnight before pop riveting the tray and aluminum together tomorrow. Also tomorrow I should be going to pick up my Walthers order from my friend. The grandkids are coming over tomorrow while daughter gets Easter stuff for them before FL completely shuts down.

Karl- With all the medical issues you are probably doing the right thing. Really nice layout scene.

Toot- Nice 1:1 scenes.

Patrick- I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I tried the spray foam before but it didn't work well.

Willie- It sounds like fun.

Johnny- Nice layout shots.

Mikey- Nice building and sign.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone......overcast and drizzle.

Still having trouble with the dwarf two lamp signals and I will re-wire them maybe on Thursday. Today they started working, but I smelled a burning smell and the volt meter dropped to 2 volts. The area where the wiring is located is under the layout without direct access. I never thought two single throw double pole switches would give me troubles.

Bad news last night that my Brother in Law, a MD, is in the hospital with the virus and in a semi-coma and his wife also a MD tested positive, but is in relatively good health and home bound. We are concerned for our nephew and his wife who are also under-going Corona testing.

Ordered some stranded wire today from US Hobbies.

Better news the contractor whose installing our sliding glass door at the cabin will install it next week and that means a trip to the cabin. If you remember the neighbor shot at a target and the stray bullets when through the woods and hit our cabin five times. One bullet when through the exterior wall into the cabin and it would of struck me had I been sitting in my chair. The sliding dor was struck three times. The county where the cabin located doesn't have a DA so no charges have been filed against the neighbor as of yet.

Have to run.....

Greg

###########################

Good afternoon. 60+ degrees yesterday, 2 inches of snow over night and back up to 60 again today. I wonder if spring will ever get here. Spent yesterday and part of today out in the shop but am running low on propane to heat the shop. They should be here in the next couple of days. I would like to bring the natural gas line across the road but $$$$.

Beady - Sorry to hear about your mother. That is a hard loss to take. What we try to do is rather than grieve is to celebrate their like. It does make the loss a little easier to bear.

Greg - Sorry to hear about your brother in law. I certainly hope that he pulls through. It seems that all I have seen on the TV news is bad news, but there is some good news about how many people have gotten over the virus. Seems that they don't care to report it. Good luck with the signals. We will probably watch 1917 next weekend when my son and his wife come over for Sunday dinner. Says he has to check on his elderly parents.

Patrick - I see that you are putting some free time to good use. Looking good.

Willie - It's always fun trying to figure out switching movements. Sometimes I will stage cars in an outbound train in one of the yards a bit out of order just so it may make the switching a bit more difficult.

Johnny - Those are some nice photos.

Mike - That's an interesting building.

Terry - Good one. I imagine that some folks are starting to get a bit bored. Here's some more.

89774841_2990154447703309_1703132447589269504_o.jpg 91129216_2572724709714981_5239370483438190592_o.jpg 90428356_10157143012261365_3374809576904851456_n.jpg89926509_1401097233411148_15008140445614080_n.jpg90205326_2204006129754204_2336059641739345920_o.png

Later

Last edited:
"I'll do that when I get time".

That one hits close to home.

Two weeks in.
I've migrated the sites to a brand new server.
Enhanced security on the mail server and made it gmail compliant.
And I'm about to finish upgrading them to SSL for better security.

Not only am I getting stuff done, I'm reviewing IT Web Hosting 101.

Good Afternoon Everyone......overcast and drizzle.

Still having trouble with the dwarf two lamp signals and I will re-wire them maybe on Thursday. Today they started working, but I smelled a burning smell and the volt meter dropped to 2 volts. The area where the wiring is located is under the layout without direct access. I never thought two single throw double pole switches would give me troubles.

Bad news last night that my Brother in Law, a MD, is in the hospital with the virus and in a semi-coma and his wife also a MD tested positive, but is in relatively good health and home bound. We are concerned for our nephew and his wife who are also under-going Corona testing.

Ordered some stranded wire today from US Hobbies.

Better news the contractor whose installing our sliding glass door at the cabin will install it next week and that means a trip to the cabin. If you remember the neighbor shot at a target and the stray bullets when through the woods and hit our cabin five times. One bullet when through the exterior wall into the cabin and it would of struck me had I been sitting in my chair. The sliding dor was struck three times. The county where the cabin located doesn't have a DA so no charges have been filed against the neighbor as of yet.

Have to run.....

Greg

###########################

Greg,

We'll add your BIL and wife to the prayer list (man, it's getting long!)

As far as your neighbor at the cabin. The bill for the slider and a certificate for a gun safety course are in order here. He's damn lucky he didn't hit anyone, he'd be in big trouble then!

Back to kit building

"Hey, what was that?"

Did you suddenly find you were logged out and have to log back in again? If so, welcome to the secure version of the website. It's a different protocol, so it forced me, and presumably the rest of you, to log in again. That should only happen once.

"Hey, what was that?"

Did you suddenly find you were logged out and have to log back in again? If so, welcome to the secure version of the website. It's a different protocol, so it forced me, and presumably the rest of you, to log in again. That should only happen once.
I probably missed the memo. What's so secure about this version? Does that mean we won't be having any more hootchie mommas visiting?

I probably missed the memo. What's so secure about this version? Does that mean we won't be having any more hootchie mommas visiting?

SSL creates a secure connection between your computer and this website. It avoids any "man in the middle" attacks where somebody can intercept the information that you send to the website. Everything is now encrypted and secure.

Why? Well, on this website, where you never send any credit card info etc, there's really no reason. That's why I waited so long to spend the time and money. But Google is now penalizing websites that don't have it, and lowering their search rankings. So it was time to bite the bullet.

As for the hootchie momma? Well, now when she logs in, her naughty bytes about her naughty bits will be sent securely. After which our moderators will securely remove the spam.

Good evening. 90 minutes from the closing of the coffee shop, so I will be brief.

Good Morning Fellow Isolationists
Willie: LOL Good opening! Also I like the way your crew drills the elevator. Sure you never worked on the railroad?

Johnny: You're photos...Nice!

Karl: Don't blame ya at all.

Terry: That dude takes the cake!

Still waiting for call backs from yesterday. Good thing I wasn't "critical". Not for nothing, while I understand that the Corona Virus is very dangerous, highly contagious, and deadly...even to those less at risk...The rest of us fortunate enough not to have it, still get sick, or have conditions develop without warning. I should not have to. cal 9-1-1, and get transported to a medical facility by EMS, in order to get treatment for a chronic condition that flares up, or an infection that comes about without warning. Now these people want to keep appointments by tele-medic software via my phone. -- Think face time - I have to get my own vitals, they can't listen to my heart or lungs or do any of the things we normally do. All this does is allow them to bill, while a quick phone call is not generally billable... GTFOH!

This Corona Virus is going to change everything we do ... BTW: The abcess self drained, and the swelling and pain are receeding, so all I have is a sore mouth. That jaw pain did what two bone on bone knee joints couldn't do, Still don't really know why.

As it is I pushed back all of my scheduled medical appointments into May, and if this BS isn't over by then I'll push them back again. Enough!

ave a good night Y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back