Vintage C&O photos by Chessie System 3

chessie_system3

You know it's been awhile since I've posted any pics. Here's some for yall to enjoy.
20co4070etalenteringcooncreeksdlevisajct-asf.jpg

17co4181-4269wbcoaldragkewaunee-asf.jpg
7co6013wbcoaldragpikeville-asf.jpg
8co7428-5769-5904wb-97eastendpikevillepassingsiding-asf.jpg
9co6141-5890wb100carcoaldragpassingpikevilledepot-asf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is just such a classic. Where was that taken.

So much you could model here! The station, the platform, the semaphore, the baggage wagons, the overpass, all the sidings. The old kerosene switch lamps, though maybe they were electric by then. There's an entire model railroad in this one photo.

Something else catches my eye. Not how muted everything is. It's not just faded film, as the semaphore blade is still bright red and the wagons orange. Things were just more subdued then, with lots of earth tones.

1586387450912.png

This one is just such a classic. Where was that taken.

So much you could model here! The station, the platform, the semaphore, the baggage wagons, the overpass, all the sidings. The old kerosene switch lamps, though maybe they were electric by then. There's an entire model railroad in this one photo.

Something else catches my eye. Not how muted everything is. It's not just faded film, as the semaphore blade is still bright red and the wagons orange. Things were just more subdued then, with lots of earth tones.

View attachment 46195
This is Ronceverte, WV. Where I have done most of my railfanning. Most of the track age here has been taken up. The bridge in the background is still there though it's long since been closed as it was falling apart. The city decided it was too expensive to fix or tear down. Now the bridge is where I did most of my railfanning. The tracks on the left are now team track spurs. If you go down the tracks a little ways there are two separate spurs for local industries. One that goes to the right leads into Martin and Jones furniture. Which by the way is still open and is still Martin and Jones furniture. To the left you have southern states feed store and some other buildings. Now the semaphore you see is no longer there either. The station was being used for the allegheny pusher crew. Which now is no longer a thing. Amtrak doesn't even stop here. If you go back where the train is coming from you'll find that the three tracks turn into a single track main for a good ways. I can go on for awhile just on this one place.

The C&O was the only railroad I ever traveled on when I was a kid. We went from Grand Rapids, MI to Detroit where us kids were being dropped off at my grandparents when mom had my youngest sister. I've since been on several tourist railways, but still remember that train trip.

I wonder how many viewers actually notice the scenery around the locomotives when they look at these beautiful photographs? I've saved this one:
1586452349006.png

I can tell by the mid-60's vehicles that this was taken in the exact era that I'm trying to model. A 65ish Chevy pickup in the background, the Chevelle or Beaumont, and a Ford pickup. I'm inexperienced, but, I believe that is a GP9 locomotive. I absolutely love the colors on the depot; and the forested, foothills setting. This is kinda what I want to build. Thankyou for the photographs.

I wonder how many viewers actually notice the scenery around the locomotives when they look at these beautiful photographs? I've saved this one:
View attachment 46242
I can tell by the mid-60's vehicles that this was taken in the exact era that I'm trying to model. A 65ish Chevy pickup in the background, the Chevelle or Beaumont, and a Ford pickup. I'm inexperienced, but, I believe that is a GP9 locomotive. I absolutely love the colors on the depot; and the forested, foothills setting. This is kinda what I want to build. Thankyou for the photographs.
You are correct. It is a GP9 in the photo. This is pic was taken in Thurmond, WV. Right behind the depot is the new river. To the right is the home's of Thurmond. It's still a nice place to visit. So much is gone yet so much is still there. It's just amazing.

Wow its been almost a year since I have posted anything in here. Well why dont we fix that?
20210502_112105.jpg

Ronceverte, WV. I sure did my share of railfanning from this spot. Ofcourse for me it was CSX.
20210502_112705.jpg

I drive by this bridge everyday on my way to work. It has long since been abandoned. Word is it is only still standing because of the cost it would be to take it down. Cheaper to just keep it as is.
20210502_112030.jpg

Hinton, WV. Eventhough this is a Chessie era photo the geeps still sport the C&O paint. The last unit in this string is GP7 5707. I have the same unit on my layout in the as delivered scheme.
20210502_111956.jpg

Rainelle, WV engine house. I grew up not far from here. That being the case I have decided to model this unit for my unnumbered GP9.

The April issue of TRAINS magazine had an article about the Loup Creek Branch, which is now operated as a shortline by RJ Corman. They use a pair of ex-SP Tunnel Motors as pushers on the outbound coal trains, then leave them parked at Thurmund until the next sting of empties arrives, then they pull those back to the mine. CSX supplies the primary [head-end] power on the loaded trains.

Back