Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Thursday evening!

This is day 8 for me sheltering in place. Trying to stay busy on the layout, and being teacher for my daughters school work. Her , and I went for a couple mile walk yesterday afternoon to get some spring air. My wife is working from home with many daily web conferences, so that’s really putting a kink in my chop saw use!

Thanks to all for their opinions on my backdrop. It seems the consensus was to go with the curved. That’s the way I was leaning as well.

Postman dropped off some new cars for the fleet. These are the Atlas multiMax. They did a really nice job on them.
Have great day all!

BC176159-79CE-4C59-8457-3DBC47B433EC.jpeg
7739765C-62D9-4096-8A31-6FB936ABC4D1.jpeg
DC7BFC79-92AE-4D08-AD36-E46D76EF0D6D.jpeg
22CCCE8D-B37A-4DE4-99C3-684F8C70795E.jpeg

Good Morning Everyone. It's 67° and warm. It's currently clear but still dark. The weather geeks have lowered today's forecast high temperature from over 90°, to a more seasonal 85°. Another day of these high temperatures and then at least a week in the 60's and 70's. With that in mind, I had to spend yesterday morning making another firewood haul. Most of my heating wood is oak 3" x 3" and 3" x 4" sticks that are discarded by my old employer. Each day that they work provides about twenty sticks; I use seven a day if I heat vigorously for 24 hours.

View attachment 45645

Sticks? Firewood? That's not what I see.

What I see is a pile of ties for your new backyard railway! What gauge are you going to build?

In true cliffhanger fashion, I may or may not be leaving work, but my boss is waiting until tomoerow at 5 to make any decisions. He is hoping our rv dealer sales lobby group is successful in getting rv dealerships classified "essential services".
Safety first--unless it costs money.

Afternoon All,

Slept lousy last night mainly due to reflux. Didn't do much today except mulling over the layout plan. I decided it has a flaw that there isn't enough space between business's, yards and support facilities to really get any kind of elevation, so tomorrow I'll start looking at a "U" shaped track plan to see if it comes out better. Talked to Phil for awhile yesterday.

Joe- Interesting photos. The sanding station looks like the prototype for the Walthers sand house.

Sherrel- Oops indead.

Tom- Nice looking hopper.

Beady- Happy Birthday.

Willie- That looks fine for a backdrop.

Terry- I hope everything works out. My adult son is in the same boat.

Mike- Good looking rail cars.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I wonder how many people wished they could work from home. I wonder now that they are forced into it, if they still would like it all the time or realize that when you don't have an escape that your home is just as bad or worse than being at work.

After seeing what my wife is going through working from home now, I'm not so sure working from home would be for me. I'm not that disciplined. I would bet after this is over she will gladly go back to the office.

I wonder how many people wished they could work from home. I wonder now that they are forced into it, if they still would like it all the time or realize that when you don't have an escape that your home is just as bad or worse than being at work.
I sure wish I could work from home.
The wife seems to enjoy it, avoiding all the distractions such as water cooler chats, co workers that can be "disruptive". Plus she can take a few breaks with the puppy whenever she wants.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who commented on my gas station decal disaster. I was relatively happy with the results. I still have to weather the building and spray it with a clear finish. Thinking about some more details, but it will have to wait for later.
We hit the predicted 84 degrees F today in central Alabama, so i recruited my wife to go to the lake and set up a 3' x 6' N scale old club layout. My wife held the layout in place while I screwed the bench work in place to the plywood bottom. Then I held the layout while she screwed the leg braces in place to keep the whole thing from falling down. Had a couple of exciting moments before it was stabilized. Needs lots of repair and TLC.
Sorry about the photo quality, I need to practice taking phone pics.

Attachments

• N 3-26-20a.jpg
    N 3-26-20a.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 144
  • N 3-26-20b.jpg
    N 3-26-20b.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 150
Thanks to all who commented on my gas station decal disaster. I was relatively happy with the results. I still have to weather the building and spray it with a clear finish. Thinking about some more details, but it will have to wait for later.
We hit the predicted 84 degrees F today in central Alabama, so i recruited my wife to go to the lake and set up a 3' x 6' N scale old club layout. My wife held the layout in place while I screwed the bench work in place to the plywood bottom. Then I held the layout while she screwed the leg braces in place to keep the whole thing from falling down. Had a couple of exciting moments before it was stabilized. Needs lots of repair and TLC.
Sorry about the photo quality, I need to practice taking phone pics.
That looks very similar to the layout I'm in the process of building.

Staying up late,trying to deal wit a toothache. Let me say this, two knees, both bone on bone,do not hurt nothing like this tooth does. Shame on me for being cheap and letting it go to this point, but wow. Hope I can find a dentist that can help tomorrow. This is just not the time for this crap!

I wonder what's going to happen with the baseball season? There are 75 horse tracks in the US I know 7 are still open without fans. One of my golf and railroad friends owns 3 race horses. He told me it's costs $36,000.00 per horse, per year before they make any money. I'm afraid to call him. He's has to be upset he's not a rich guy. Although his horses had been making a lot of money before this all came about.
George

i RELATE TO THAT except for the little truck?

We've been playing musical cars here. Now that the Colorado is here, the 16 year old was going to take the Impala, but he has decided he likes the S10 better. So I've got to fix the HVAC system on it (it only blows out the vents, no floor or defroster). The Impala will be sold soon to the younger sister of my future DIL. The eventual plan is for the Colorado and the Equinox to both reside inside. We're probably 1 good yard sale from that!

Good Friday Morning All. Mostly clear and 69° in my neighborhood. Only reached 86° yesterday, another day like it coming today and then a cool front coming tomorrow with the high in the lower 70's for most of the next week, except rain and 63° on Monday.
I am a bit worn out from mowing yesterday, spent nearly three hours and only got two acres done. The most difficult area is coming up today, the "back 40" and some of the area around the pond. The drainage swale and its connection with the pond is still too saturated with water. Pond is higher than normal levels, so that also means that I have some clearing work to do over on the spillway (no man's land) this summer. Also spent time doing additional pruning of trees yesterday, to rid them of some branches that swatted me while mowing.

How about a tall stack of blueberry pancakes and a handful of bacon this morning Flo. Good to see Mel made it back from his fishing vacation.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the progress picture yesterday; Guy, Joe, Jerome, Patrick, Sherrel, Phil, Karl, Mike, Garry, Tom, Curt, Bob.

Time to get used to the reduced time in the train shed, unless it is raining. I did practice a bit more on my "Bob Ross painting techniques" on the backdrop yesterday.
03-27-20 004.JPG

03-27-20 006.JPG

Depending on my mood today, I might either begin on the driveway and parking area around the grain elevator; or add the blacktop road leading up to it. Meanwhile over on the workbench, I took out the Bar Mills laser-cut kit that I intend to put into that area to the left of the elevator.
03-27-20 002.JPG

The signage is for Stanley Stove and Boiler Company, but I feel that it might be a little bit too dated for my era. I'll be leaving them off while I figure out what it will eventually be.
03-27-20 003.JPG

I will say that those are some really nice metal stove details that are included with the kit. I need to figure out how I can use them regardless. Hmmmh! Maybe an antique implement dealer?
All of this could be delayed a day or two, as I haven't operated any trains in almost a week.

Patrick -
We are under stay at home orders in the county I work in, so last night one of the local news channels was at one of the local parks interviewing people. What cracked me up was on guy they were interviewing said everyone should just follow the recommendations and stay home. Ok but then why was he at the park? lol Everyone but him.....
I think that "stay at home orders" are complete BS! Social distancing is the answer. Of course it's easy for me to say, I can walk to my mailbox and back, a distance of 2.25 miles and I don't pass another house. As I also posted the other day, use common sense. Avoid crowds and practice good hygiene.
Bob -
Sticks? Firewood? That's not what I see.

What I see is a pile of ties for your new backyard railway! What gauge are you going to build?
The thought has crossed my mind a few times. With 15 acres at my disposal, I could have a pretty nice setup. But doing it all myself at this age just isn't going to happen.
Mikey -
I need to practice taking phone pics.
Phones are for talking to other people. ;)
Joe - Good luck with the dentist. I hope that you get relief soon.
Terry - Hoping that the work situation is in your favor whichever way it goes. I can see where servicing RV's is a lot more essential than selling them right now.

Sad that the new stimulus bill has so many non-essential aspects to it. But something is better than nothing. I think that the Kennedy Center should take all of the money given to them and donate it to the local medical facilities.

Everybody have a great day and don't work too hard from home. Remember that it is "Casual Friday".

Good morning gang!

Flo, I'm feeling like biscuits and gravy this morning, with a side of scrapple, cut thin and fried crispy!
50° and sunny, we may see 60 before the rain moves in tonight, woohoo!

Boris, Sorry to hear about the tooth, hope you see a dentist today!

Terry, I guess you will find out by the end of the day about your job....by carrier pigeon??

L8ter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back