Setting Up ESU System

Ken. I'm feelin' for you mate. Instructions written by people who know what they are doing and it's second nature to them, always seem to have that, "Oh, I thought everyone knows that" about them. A form of condescending superiority complex.
I remember when after giving instructions to newbies on the Honda forum I used to frequent and added in little observations and things to watch out for, that if missed, would cause grief, I got accused by one of the "professionals" on there, sarcastically as a "helpful c----". His only interest of course was in customers for his business. Do you have to pay a fee to become a member on ESU's?

Got the ESU Wi-Fi receiver installed in a semi permanent location. It's not as robust in range as the literature declares.
The ESU command center is built into the benchwork now and can be easily lifted down to the work surface for programming. The Digitrax command station and boosters have been taken off line from the layout with only the master station supporting my programming track. All the rest of the Digitrax can be used with the ESU with it connected through the ESU L.Net converter. About the only thing I discovered so far that I can't do with the Digitrax throttle, DT402D is MU locomotives. That has to be done with the command station or on a ESU Mobile Command II throttle then saved to the list of locomotives in the ESU. The consist can then be picked up with the Digitrax throttle and operated.
The first Picture is the receiver up against the wall.
The second picture is the ECoS in it's mounted position. The Fascia will cover most of it.
The third picture is the ECos as it can be easily removed from the mounted position and set on the bench to program.

M AP.jpg

ECOS Installed.jpg

On Bench.jpg

Last edited:
Another anomaly of this system. The Mobile Command II has to be logged into the ECoS command center via a receiver (mini access point) by entering the host name and password that you can setup in the ECoS command center. When the second Mobile Command II was finally able to link up to the ECoS, I realized it was linked via a previous host name that I had already deleted from the ECoS command center. Somehow, I'm able to run trains through the system despite the host name not being correct. Can't find that in the instruction manual.
Another thing, the host name and password require a certain number and types of characters, but the manual doesn't say how many or what are valid characters. User is supposed to figure that out on their own or submit the question to ESU and wait for a few weeks till they get around to replying. Prolly because we are just rube Americans that don't deserve their help.
Heck, I have three technical questions on the ESU forum that have been there a few days. Quite a few views but not a single comment or answer. I guess there are lots of others waiting to see the answer too, or they are just laughing up their sleeves at the problem I'm having.

I am an occasional user of the Cab Control 7 amp system that I purchased in April, 2018. I say occasional as I also have a ProtoThrottle that when everything works is great. Problem is the system fails and ESU won’t say why When it’s returned.
when I regristered for the ESU forum it came back in German and when I questioned it and asked how they replied, re-register.
i find the ESU group on FB to be sometimes helpful but really wish I knew about the FB group 1st. I would have purchased the NCE DCC system. The biggest mistake was, we are a Apple product house and ESU needs a Microsoft system.

Tom

I sent it back to the vendor I purchased from. I should also say the last month it has been fine. My suggestion is to contact where you purchased from. Took about 4 weeks each time

tom

Bite the bullet, e-Bay the Digitrax throttles, use the proceeds and some additional cash to get the ESU throttles you need. Mixing different systems components seems to me like an invitation to high blood pressure. Unless you love to tinker and are one of those electronics experts and love to play with this stuff, it just flat easier to use equipment items that are designed to talk to each other from the start. ESU does have issues with their manuals. They tend to think we're all as smart as they are, and their manuals seem to be written by Techno-geeks for Techno-geeks. They aren't the only ones guilty of this though.

Another puzzle with the ESU system.
When I put a Volt Ohm Meter across the track I get a kind of pulse reading. Goes at a kind of heart beat rythym from 14 to 16 volts.

dang Toot, I thought you had an answer to it.
Sorry about that, but even the good doctor didn't make a really workable job of the monster. Soundtraxx's new decoder range doesn't seem to be 100% matchable with their Tsunami 1st edition without a lot of work. Athearn have put out a list of CV's to change in the TSU2 fitted to their newer locos, which appears at first glance, means dumbing down the new one to consist with the older one.

Ken: Does the ESU system provide better motor control and sound that is that much of difference to make it worth all your time and efforts to install a ESU unit? Sure I've had a few problems with my 12 year old plus Digitrax system, but I'm a seasoned veteran Digitrax user and can fix most Digitrax operating problems as they may arise.

Customizing decoder sound CV's can be a hobby within Model Rairoading.

It sounds like Miller Time when working with ESU.

Greg

1582559142308.png

ESU headquarters.

I think the loco control is pretty much the same. I have continued to have problems with my Digitrax in its ability to support op sessions. Constant loss of control when there are about 5 or more throttles operating on duplex or simplex. My local ESU dealer claimed all those problems would go away with this system.

Ken: Which Digitrax Command/Booster are you using and what loss of control problems are you encountering with your Digitrax system during an Ops session.?

I found that with my modest size layout I have an "Overkill" of throttles ranging from Digitrax UT-4's to DT-400 series with a total of six throttles. Many times I forgot to "Dispatch" a locomotive from a throttle and use another throttle to run that same locomotive and the locomotive will suddenly stop since the first throttle is set to "Step" zero and is sending that Command to the locomotive. Once throttle #1 "Dispatches" that loco, it runs normal without sudden stops. Simple problem and solution.

Greg

I was running a DCS100 Command station and 2 DB200 boosters. The layout is quite extensive, covering a 2000 square foot basement.
Yeah, I understand the point about dispatching before using another throttle so that wasn't the problem.
Operating with 5 or so duplex throttles, all of a sudden several of them would loose control of their trains and have to plug in somewhere to recover. I think it's in the duplex receiver capacity. Even though Digitrax says it can handle a large number of locos, that may be under special and very controlled conditions. If I add a Digitrax Wi-Fi to the loconet, ya might get one maybe two trains running but not even my signal system works then. A massive amount of data is running on loconet then and things get stacked up to where the data buffers fail.

Back