Chicago c1937

oldstuff

I'm a UK modeller in the UK, but also working on Chicago c1937 in HO. My stuff is Pennsylvania, Illinois Central, and Erie, which makes little sense so I've invented the fictional jointly operated Elmore, Joliet and Calumet Junction to run them on. The old EJ&CJ also runs prehistoric locos, so anything goes really. Traffic is reefer icing, a Borden's Dairy, plus an assortment of small industries, mostly food related.

oldstuff, welcome aboard!! If that's what you want to model, then go for it!! Nobody around here will argue with you. Share some pictures of your empire when you can.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum. I've traveled from Milwaukee to Chicago on Amtrak for both business and pleasure. Taking the train is an interesting means of travel to beat the Chicago traffic. I like to see all the track side details and junk that's along the right of way, especialy when leaving downtown Milwaukee.

Your modeling of this area should be interesting with the history of railroading in and around Chicago.

Greg

Wasn't so much that the three roads ran to Chicago, more that a joint or belt or junction line should involve just the three of them, but as we say, it's my railroad so..

Wasn't so much that the three roads ran to Chicago, more that a joint or belt or junction line should involve just the three of them, but as we say, it's my railroad so..
Ah, now I understand. An Indiana Harbor Belt type line exclusive to the three.

Yes, although less like the IHB with its heavy 0-8-0s, and more like the C&IW with a handfull of superannuated steamers. Probably calling it the Elmore Joliet &Calumet Junction implies far too extensive trackage. (though there is a possible explanation/example here in the UK. The Manchester and Milford Railway, planned to link Manchester with Milford Haven on over 200 miles of track, only managed to run from Aberystwyth to Pencader, a distance of 41 miles) No locos have yet been harmed in the making of this project so the name may change as things develop.

As a native Chicagoan I can vouge that most anything goes. The Chicago Belt Line would have hosted equipment from all these roads. I've seen an amazing array of equipment pass by in my life time. Even saw the Flying Scotsman when it toured the States back in the 70s. Go for it!

Back