Paint Booth Upgrade

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Thanks to MikeGTW my paint booth got a much needed upgrade. Before it had a 20" box fan that would shoot the exhaust out of a window in the spare bedroom.
Now that we have a dedicated train room, I'm going to have it set in a permanent place. The exhaust motor Mike sent has a 2" fitting. After looking online at gas water heaters, I saw they use 2" PVC for the exhaust pipe.
So hear is the set up so far. I use 2 air filters before the blower motor, that way no wet paint ever gets through.
20200201_120005.jpg
20200201_140707.jpg
20200201_144349.jpg
20200202_112729.jpg
20200202_112806.jpg
20200202_112822.jpg
20200202_112813.jpg

Well now see you had it all figured out Mine is in my basement with a small squirral cage fan going to a dryer vent took a look at it thought about changing it to one of the furnace fans and got distracted and besides it looked like work

Jerome nice project and it's what I'm working on right now. I have a 2 inch line attached to 5hp shop vac outside the house which I use to keep the place clean. I was thinking about just hooking the paint box exhaust up to that when painting. Do you think there would be any problem with that?
George

George, Depending on the type of paints you are using I'd say. Anything that is flammable could cause an explosion hazard going through the vacuum which is not a sealed motor. You would still need to exhaust the fumes outside also. Using water based paints wouldn't cause any troubles though.

I base my opinion on 38 years working in the fuels industry. Everything we use is explosion proof and sealed. The gas water heater blower motor that Mike send me has a sealed blower unit separate from the motor. Exhausting gas fumes from the hot water heater still has some un-burned gases in it. Depending on the type of vacuum you have (wet/dry) would be a sealed unit. Hope that helps some.

wheeler, I think he's commenting on the redundancy of HOT water HEATER... if it's hot already, does it need a heater. Sounds like it's coming from the Department of Redundancy Department :D

Sorry, was reading it literally I guess. Dealing with idiots here at work this morning so my head isn't in a good place to catch humor I guess. But yes, I understand it now.

Back