Do you model with DC power, DCC, or MTHs DCS; or, other?

Do you model with DC power, DCC, or MTHs DCS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have become interested in the Ring Engineering and Air Wire systems of Radio Control for Model Railroad Layouts and I will be starting another thread in this Forum Topic to talk about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have become interested in the Ring Engineering and Air Wire systems of Radio Control for Model Railroad Layouts and I will be starting another thread in this Forum Topic to talk about this.
Hadn't seen the AirWire900 system before. I am familiar with RingEng.
Look forward to it.

So, at this point, still 22 days before the poll closes, DCC users out number DC users 3 to 1. DCC users out number MTH's DCS users by 24 to 1. and DCC is more popular than Radio Control systems 8 to 1. I wonder whether these statistics reflect the real world?

While I voted as a proponent of DC, I may move up to DCC sometime in the future. I just need mo' money and time to work through it. I buy too much auction\estate sale stuff in DC to make the switch at this time.

I use DCC (though still have a bunch of DC stuff to convert). I use the Digikeijs DR-5000 command center, Digikeijs modules (detection, booster, etc), a Digitrax WiFi add-on, and Z21 wireless throttles as well as WiThrottle compatible phone apps for control.

I have an NCE basic system as well that I use if I want to take some track somewhere to set up a temporary layout. It was my first DCC command center and controller.

Last edited:
I started my layout as a simply 4x8 DC system. As it started to grow, and I wanted to run more than one loco at a time, I got into block wiring. I actually had a fair complex series of switches running the blocks so I could have up to three locos working at a time (only three DC controllers). I opted to convert to DCC with the Prodigy Express system when my layout started taking over the next room. It was pretty easy to use and far cheaper than some of the other systems on the market. I've since noticed some limitations of the system (as compared to other systems in the DCC world), but so far it has been working for me. For my next expansion I plan to introduce power districts and see how that goes.

With 40 votes in, its clear that most of us run DCC, HOWEVER, most of us also drive gasoline powered cars. Of the vehicles on the market, I am seriously considering an all electric vehicle for my next daily driver. I am also seriously considering Railpro as my next train control system. The same hesitation applies for both - AM I going to be happy with this choice 5 years down the road?

Guess I'll chime in. When I restarted in the hobby, I knew that I was going to go DCC. I ended up going with a Digitrax Zephyr DCS51 unit and a UT4 utility throttle. As I bought locos, I tried to buy decoders to go with them. The first sound decoder I got was a Soundtraxx Econami that I had installed in a ConCor Great Northern S2 4-8-4. That's my only steamer and will operate as an excursion train. I have several diesels that have ESU sound decoders in them. I have about 35 locos and about 25 are decoder equipped. I am glad that I've tried to keep up with the decoders as I bought the locos. If I had to do it all at once I would probably never have done so many. Some for sure, but not all of them!

Ford vs Chevy?
I voted DC for these reasons;
1. The number of older Locos I have now (29),
2. The cost of a DCC Loco ($150 and more which is 3x the cost of used non-DCC diesels),
3. I'm not crazy about the controllers offered by either of the 2 popular systems. I prefer a old-school rotary large dial which severely limits what's available,
4. I already have two power supplies, both partly custom made. One PS is 2 cab which I just rebuilt from a much older 'analog' design (2 huge xformers inside),
5. Then there is the old dogs vs new tricks not usually working together. ;)

I would never have guessed that DCC would be so much more in use than DC. The ratio is almost 3 to 1, DCC over DC. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Videobruce, the added cost of DCC locomotives is no where near your $150.00, unless you are talking about sound equipped, in which case I need to ask you what does sound equipping a DC locomotive locomotive cost? Typical DCC Mobile decoders are in the $35.00 range and typical sound decoders are in the $65.00 to $130.00 range. I'm sure you can buy DCC Sound Decoders for $150.00, if you so desire. But the vast majority are much less than what you quoted!

Also, I am an "Old Dog" at almost 70! But, then again, I started in DCC back when I was around 50 years old! Now, my opinion is that if DC fits your needs, why would you want to get into something else? Then again, if you like the additional benefits of DCC, jump in with both feet! This Poll shows that DCC is almost 3 times more popular than DC, so maybe there is no reason not to try it out!

Ford vs Chevy?
Hmmm, I can't quite see that analogy playing out. That might work for which DCC system - NCE or Digitrax -, or which DC controller -- MRC or PH -- but not for DCC vs DC. Unless perhaps if the Ford was a 1959 Galaxy 500 and the Chevy was a 2020 Impala, but even that might be stretching it.

I started command control in 1979 long before DCC (and back when it was expensive). Even though I was a master of DC block control, after using command control no matter how primitive, I never wanted to go back to all those switches and wires just to run two trains simultaneously.

For me on my home layout I am DC only with no plans whatsoever to change to DCC. I am a lone operator with a layout built mainly for switching and the chances of me trying to operate more than one train at a time is a train wreck looking to happen. I do have some DCC locomotives to run at my club.

Interestingly Mike's Train House's (MTH's) proprietary system, DCS has only received one vote! Seeing how it is not an NMRA designed; or, approved method of controlling model railroads, it appears that John Q. Public has little need for the system! I realize that this Poll has too few participants to legitimize the story making the results somewhat subjective. For this forum; however, I will take the results as noteworthy and conclude that MTH's plans for dominating the market with the DCS system is a failure, as it should be!

For this forum; however, I will take the results as noteworthy and conclude that MTH's plans for dominating the market with the DCS system is a failure, as it should be!

I wouldn't say that is necessarily true. DCS is just, basically, MTH's take on an advanced DCC system, really, when all is said and done. Basically looks like they are just trying to use modern technology to add new spin and features to 40 year old tech. Kind of like Harley Davidson, really, when you think about it. :)

KB02, you can certainly take MTH's DCS system however you want. For me however, 1 vote out 42 votes doesn't make me want to go out and buy a DCS system! Also, MTH went ahead and designed the DCS System without help from; or, input from the NMRA, which doesn't set well with me!

VideoBruce: I have a box full of DCC decoders of which many I purchased at bargain prices on the web or at swap meets. Its the sound decoders and the speakers that are more expensive, but then there's the fellows who use small telephone speakers that can be had for bargain prices.

I like DCC and the ability to run muliable trains on a single mainline and keep locomotives on spurs all without block control. Right now I bet I have 10 or so locomotives sitting on tracks in my Saxeville exchange, some locomotives with their sound on and some with their headlights on or cab strobes and no blocks just DCC.

DC or DCC it's your choice. But DCC isn't all that expensive if you shop smart and take your time in adding to your collection of DCC equiped locomotives.

Greg

I have a 55-year-old MRC DC controller. It's the most trouble-free.

I also have an MTH DCS Commander controller. It's the smartest.

I also have a Digitrax Zephyr DCC controller. It's OK...I'm glad I nave it.

Brakeman Hal

Interestingly enough, this thread has been the catalyst that has caused me to make a purchase and try out Railpro. Two Train modules and the PC adapter to start with and then I go from there. My MRC DCC system has always been a bit limited to begin with, and I have liked the Railpro system since I learned about it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Back